This might sound crazy but...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geordy70

Reaction score
Is love really necessary? I mean after thinking about it for a long time, all it really is is just a chemical attraction to get you to reproduce. When i think of it this way, it just turns people into illogical thinkers who just want sex. When i can tell a girl has some kind of infatuation with me, i can only see what she really wants in her eyes. its all hormones and fake emotions.

So why even bother? i will admit i used to feel this strange sadness or loneliness from not having anyone but in all honestly does it even matter? i found out that if i keep myself busy and continue moving forward in my life, then i hardly have time to think about loving someone. Not sure if i'm avoiding something or not but i would just like someone to help explain the concept of "love" to me. I'm having a hard time comprehending why it is so incorporated in our lives.

I've no doubt that alot of people here can tell you what love feels like. But outside science of bodily chemical reactions, nobody can tell you what it actually is. I'd say that in order to grasp love's 'concept', then you'd have to be willing to lose yourself in the lofty ideals and emotions and all that crap. Something that's impossible to do if you're aware of the science behind it all.

You say that you've had girls interested in you, but all you can see is raging hormones and nothing more. If that's where you're mind is going instead of getting lost in the moment with her, then something in your body has rendered you numb to the effects of pheromones. Or to put it spiritually, you've lost a part of yourself.

The way I see it, if somebody at at the point of questioning the necessity of love-especially if they haven't experienced it for themselves(I'm going to assume that you've never had any sort of partner at this point. correct me if I'm wrong), then they're past the point of no return.

That sounds bad :( I dont think im completely immune to pheromones, because i do feel attraction to specific kinds of girls, but then thats where i have a split. There is one feeling telling me that i have an attraction and another feeling telling me that its just a chemical in your body. Im guessing thats what people call a "crush"?

The feeling of attraction is just that.. attraction/lust. Love is not really a feeling, as it more of an action. Not about self.

I do not think it necessary, but it is a wonderful thing to know if some one can have the chance..
And it is certainly not just about sexual attraction.. that certainly can be part in lots of instance, but not all it is! Love and lust are not the same..

Maybe when you say love, you mean romance or sexual relationships instead?

If its just chemical and pharamones.
Im pretty sure i cross path with women
Evetyday....it dont mesn i gonna stick
My pecket in anyone of them..

Ive been accused of being a womenizer.
Logocally I dont cock block myself.

At the sametime...i can't explain to
The key why i love Renae so much.
I just do....if i didnt love her, i wouldnt
Be me. So Im beimg mysel.
We dont see eye to eye.
We fight and argue.
We fresia a lot too.
We laugh and play a lot too.
I dont even understand her half the
Fuvken time....
Then people wanna ask me if
I can explain the full meaning love. FFS

I dont know you. I dont know how process
Life.
there where moments in my life when
I wanted to be a fucken monk and
Run away to hide in my solitude.
My fears tried to justify it....
Honestly....i had to get honest
With myself.

Is art and music necessary?
Is the net necessary?
Is life on the fucken rock even necessary?
Logically in my fucken mind the answer is " NO"

Okiedokes said:
The feeling of attraction is just that.. attraction/lust. Love is not really a feeling, as it more of an action. Not about self.

This is beautiful. I'm very surprised by your knowledge about love.

beans said:
Okiedokes said:

This is beautiful. I'm very surprised by your knowledge about love.

I've done a lot of searching about it and learned from the best teachers about it. In fact, a quote that I'll never forget that makes so much sense. "The opposite of love is not hate, it is self." - A.F.

Theres so many ways to look at things.

Some people put love and hate on a different
scale or graph.

Others see it on the same scale....
Such as energy or heat.
Cold dosnt exist....its just degree of
Heat or energy.
In other words hate dosnt exist...just
Degree of love..

Some poeple view love is a verb or
Actions.....
Which is fine...
Then you get into love earning.
Which can also be unhealthy or
Becomes a control issue.
"IF YOU DONT ACT LIKE THIS OR THAT.
IF YOU DONT DO THIS OR THAT THEN
YOU DONT LOVE ME"

I think alot of people exaggerate the meaning and reasons for "Love" and turn it into something fantastical when there are actualy real reasons why someone could love another. People say you cannot properly define it but I think that is sort of untrue.

I think love is respect and "Admiration" for another person's attributes, physical or mental or ofcourse both. This in turn can potentially produce "extreme" emotion and chemical reaction within the body and mind.
Different people admire others for all sorts of reasons because it depends on your own personality and you can learn to admire different aspects of a persons character over time, even get extreme emotional response from a new admiration hence why someone can love someone they didnt in the past.

Now ofcourse it would be difficult to specify each and every reason why a person would love someone else, or it may even be too confusing for them to understand the true reasons why. The thing is most people can atleast list "some" reasons why they love another and it is always ocourse admiration for characteristics of a person.

So even though my definition may seem vague to some, that is because love itself is vague, it is different for each and every person but the core reason is admiration.

I had a dream about this girl once.
The time we did meet, a huge rush of concepts and feelings came over me.
I just went with it and assumed it was something to do with my subconscious, a realisation of sorts or an act of some Divine being.
It wasn't until a couple days later where she blatantly hit on me that I realised it happened to her in as much as it did to me.
Whenever we see each other, I can see that its still there.
If it is 'love' then the desire for sex is not there. Alternatively whatever it is, is possibly the most bizzare thing I have yet encountered in my life.
There is more of a desire to learn about each other.

However ... I could be delusional, interpreting the situation wrong or just outright wrong in every sense of the word.
But that is pretty much how it has been to me. I do not understand why, I just go with it.

Perhaps since the vast majority of the human race have some kind of existential void, have no idea what their true purpose is or why they are here, they invent something to help give them a purpose, a reason and to fill this void and a reason to live for.

I wonder, if we were all closer to our spiritual sides, were less obsessed with commodity, less obsessed with work, sex and making money and each day, worked towards understanding and discovering our true purpose on this planet, whether we would have time to become so obsessed with another being. Ultimately, we spend too much time loving or hating each other yet neglect to love what needs to be loved which is the planet.

Public_Enemy said:
Perhaps since the vast majority of the human race have some kind of existential void, have no idea what their true purpose is or why they are here, they invent something to help give them a purpose, a reason and to fill this void and a reason to live for.

I wonder, if we were all closer to our spiritual sides, were less obsessed with commodity, less obsessed with work, sex and making money and each day, worked towards understanding and discovering our true purpose on this planet, whether we would have time to become so obsessed with another being. Ultimately, we spend too much time loving or hating each other yet neglect to love what needs to be loved which is the planet.

I feel more like where this is comming from. While i feel the humanistic attraction to people who would be consitered my "Type", i seem to view it more as a reaction in my body and dont feel the reason to act upon something so vague if its just going to turn out as some blind attempt to impress someone who more or less wont give you the time of day. And the reverse i honestly dont feel like being in a relationship with someone who has some infatuation with me because they wont see me for all of who i am, just pick out the points that appeal to them and ignore my faults, That just ignoring the truth. With myself being busy and actually trying to acomplish something with my life rather than act upon that biological mating ritual inside of myself.

I still do love, i love my family, i love my friends, and i especially love the world and humanity. I want to help this world out of love. I'm starting to form my own belief on what love is, i think. Its not some idiotic reason to persue that one partner for life, but rather to help someone or some cause in anyway possible. Thanks for all your responces people. :) I think i can finally move on from this.

geordy70 said:
Public_Enemy said:

I feel more like where this is comming from. While i feel the humanistic attraction to people who would be consitered my "Type", i seem to view it more as a reaction in my body and dont feel the reason to act upon something so vague if its just going to turn out as some blind attempt to impress someone who more or less wont give you the time of day. And the reverse i honestly dont feel like being in a relationship with someone who has some infatuation with me because they wont see me for all of who i am, just pick out the points that appeal to them and ignore my faults, That just ignoring the truth. With myself being busy and actually trying to acomplish something with my life rather than act upon that biological mating ritual inside of myself.

I still do love, i love my family, i love my friends, and i especially love the world and humanity. I want to help this world out of love. I'm starting to form my own belief on what love is, i think. Its not some idiotic reason to persue that one partner for life, but rather to help someone or some cause in anyway possible. Thanks for all your responces people. :) I think i can finally move on from this.

All answers are good but EVERYbody is different. Some people are happy with just a family, some with careers, some with hobbies and interests, some with nature, some alone, some need friendships and love.

Obviously, it is easier if you are someone who can find peace and satisfaction in things that are NOT related to human beings because well things cannot hurt you but humans can.

There is no 'one' right way to live. All the best.

If you boil human existence down to chemical interactions and fundemental particles you can quickly come to the conclusion that life is meaningless. Which is probably true in a sense but nature always finds a way and that will often involve the path of least resistance. Love is the natural world's way of encouraging sexual attraction but also an important process for encouraging social bonds, parental protection of ones off-spring and the survival of the species. Its a vital ingredient. Of course, as we are self aware and have a concept of free will we can choose to reject this notion, however I see Love as a natural process and if I chose to swim upstream, not go with the flow and close myself off to its effects I think it would eventually make life harder for me as its not natural to feel that way, I'm genetically designed to feel love.

The Good Citizen said:
If you boil human existence down to chemical interactions and fundemental particles you can quickly come to the conclusion that life is meaningless. Which is probably true in a sense but nature always finds a way and that will often involve the path of least resistance. Love is the natural world's way of encouraging sexual attraction but also an important process for encouraging social bonds, parental protection of ones off-spring and the survival of the species. Its a vital ingredient. Of course, as we are self aware and have a concept of free will we can choose to reject this notion, however I see Love as a natural process and if I chose to swim upstream, not go with the flow and close myself off to its effects I think it would eventually make life harder for me as its not natural to feel that way, I'm genetically designed to feel love.

Beautifully said. I try very hard to go against it daily but I fail.

The Good Citizen said:

Im used to going the harder way. I dont have any personal friends, i try to get the best grades i can, and people expect the hell out of me, my family is living a life of poverty, i work two part time jobs, and im doing sports as a hope for a scholarship. Life was never easy for me to begin with, and dealing with love(which i believe is now a fake notion when used as a term to find a partner) I think i would laugh at the thought of my life becoming any easier if i even bothered with such a thing.

Natural or not, Genetic or not, life is still hard. life still sucks. looking for a partner will not make my life change in any positive way.

Latest posts

Back