What my robot life has become (sorry it's a rant)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aube

Reaction score
The following is an unapologetic rant, sorry if I offend by whining:

I could say ''I've got no life'' but I've got one and it looks like this: it's a robot life where I work 3-4 times a week and I have an internship 3 times a week. I have an evening class and a day class as well. When I have free time, I'm usually too tired and have not enough money to go anywhere. I have two days off a month, on which days I usually am so tired I sleep around the clock. I never go outside other than to go to work or come back from work. I go for 9-12 days working evenings, then nights, then evenings again and then days. Any evenings I have off are for studying and writing essays (didn't think there was anything called ''killed by essays'' but, there is). No going out.

I've never been that tired or in such bad health as I am in now. I drink a lot of energy drinks to stay awake during the day or during the night, depending on my schedule. The drinks can't be stopped for even a day because then, I crash hard (like I did during Christmas time when I took a break from it). I'm completely addicted and I'll have to go on some type of detox when school is over.

Once a month or so, I'll see a friend outside of school for a meal and a drink. Otherwise, I'm in my own appartment studying or sleeping before I go again somewhere among the six places I'm required to go to for either work, internship or school.

It's been months like this and I have 2 months to go before school finishes. I'm just writing this because I'm fed up. People expect me to soon find work but I have no desire to go on interviews right now and act the part. Everybody from my promotion that I know is on a job search right now. I don't want to, at least not until this hell is over with. I don't feel anything other than indifference with everything. When I walk, I walk like a robot who thinks about where I'm going. Weekends and the sun shining don't mean anything because I don't currently have weekends off and I don't have time to enjoy the sun (like now, it's sunny and I'm going to work in 30 min.) Some people who have money go on a trip after their studies or volunteer in Africa or Bolivia. I think I'm just gonna be sleeping for 3 weeks after before I even lift the finger.

I'm done. Thank you for reading me because nobody around me realizes I can't do anything more than what I'm doing and ask me to do things for them, get this and do that. I say ''no''.

Aube said:
I think I'm just gonna be sleeping for 3 weeks after before I even lift the finger.

and that is exactly what you should do. college life isnt easy. but schooling is an investment (or gamble) where you sacrifice the good life now for 2x or 3x the reward later, compared to people that just have 1x worth of good life beginning to end.

i am not one that can go to school, work, and support myself all at once. and youre almost done. hats off to you.

What Regumika said. FIND A JOB. You are VERY close to get the good life. Don't flunk in the end. Find the strength in you because you'll be paying for a mistake like that many times over, pretty soon. Seriously. You're almost there, don't give up!

Aube, I can't help you out with your feeling like an automaton but I can tell you from experience to get off the energy drinks, they're bringing you down! Nature provided us with a wonderful, tasty, and easy to find source of energy- it's called an apple. I work shift work (days and nights, 12 hour shifts) which has a nasty impact on sleep patterns and energy levels. The company I work for arranged for a sleep seminar and that's where I learned about the apple benefit. I'll eat 3-4 throughout the night and am always alert- I notice it if I don't get my "fix" if I forget to pack them.

As far as getting a break, that's up to you.

You can make the choices. What the others said above. Don't ruin your life just because of other people, what they do or what they say or what they ask of you.

It'll be alright in the end, it may feel like hell now, but in the end it'll pay off.

Think about this: cost vs. benefit.

Yeah, the costs are high right now, but you'll have a lot of benefits in the future. I'm sure you won't regret it...I just don't like the fact that you're drinking all those ''energy-drinks''. Believe it or not, they make you more tired. Just change your diet: eat healthier and work out whenever you have time. It'll reduce your stress levels.

Yeah what they said, my last job was permanent nights and I got to the point where the only time I wasn't chugging coffee was when the kettle was on or I was letting it out (ahem)

One day I flat refused to have anything but water, if I fell asleep then they can fire me. It worked, to an extent. Yeah you'll no doubt crash but you'll get past it, and it's far better than the feeling that your heart is trying to break out

Latest posts

Back