Why are people generally such complete and utter morons?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAS

Reaction score
When I go out, I very rarely see signs of anything good about the human race.

People are constantly competing with one another, polluting the earth, littering the streets, being inconsiderate to one another and just generally being scumbags.

And as for the behaviour of children/teenagers, don't even get me started on it.

The more I see of the human race, the more I dislike it and want nothing whatsoever to do with it.

To be frank, if the human race became extinct tomorrow the world would probably be a better place for it. That's my opinion.

I was already familiar with that, but thank you anyway.

That's just the way some people are. I don't like when people litter and act stupidly either, but there's nothing I can really do. I can't change anyone.

That's the exact problem. People as a rule can't be changed, which is why I might as well hate them. Most people anyway. I'm not saying they're all bad. Just about 90 %

Well, I wouldn't waste time hating. Too much energy and effort. Although an extreme dislike could be considered.

i think like this sometimes too. ive worked retail for 9 years now. the longer i have to deal with the general public in this type of situation the more i dont like people i think. i feel weird saying that but at the same time thats how i feel sometimes. im sure thats a large part of why im mostly a loner.

I think these perspectives are heavily influenced by where we usually conduct our daily business.

Yeah, a lot of people litter, especially in cities. But out where I live people for the most part keep things pretty clean, with the exception of City People who come visit as tourists, and people generally hate them regardless :p (Why can't they just stay in Washington, dammit?)

As for pollution, I think in the long term we will see a change in that considering the 'meta attitude' toward it. But a lot of it is just too ingrained in our base existence. I pollute every time I start my car...but there's not much I can do about that. I mean, I could get rid of my car, but then I'm basically resigning myself to stagnate and never get anywhere in life. School is too far to ride my bike, and I need my car to drive to fire exams to try and get a job.

But work is within biking distance usually, and so is the store. And instead of having a dirt bike or ATV for recreation, again, I ride my mountain bike which in my opinion is better in every way because it's just as exciting, quieter, and is great exercise. And by popping my car in to neutral going downhill or coming to a red light, I'm reducing emissions.

And even in my slow-to-progress town, there are community gardens being put up, which in the long run will reduce dependence on mass-scale agriculture by at least a little bit.

And in the fire service: We used to have three 'Incident Priorities': Life Safety, Incident Stabilization, Property Conservation; in that order. But a fourth, 'Environmental Protection', has been added to the end of the list. It is now becoming a practice to try and contain some of the more hazardous run-off from our fires, within reason. Obviously when the Wright Building burned, we weren't going to dike the 850,000 gallons we dumped :p

We're seeing it in technology and consumables, too. A few weeks back I was talking to a coffee shop owner about their new corn-based cups and lids that can be thrown in a compost pile. And at the grocery store, the plastic bags are an organic polymer that breaks down under sunlight. And there are a myriad of fascinating ways of garbage disposal being developed, from decently clean incinerators to my favorite, plasma gasification. With gasification, all waste gas is converted to energy; enough to run the plant as well as feed in to the grid. Anything, even hazardous materials, can be fed in to it, and the only by-product is an obsidian-like slag which can be used in construction and roadways.

As you can see, there is actually money to be made in being environmentally friendly, especially as laws and regulations change.

I don't think we'll see the end of it in our lifetimes, but I think when we approach our later years we'll be seeing the decline. And ultimately, even five of our lifetimes is not 'long term'. It's a tiny comma in the story of the earth. But to see that, we can't be misanthropic about it. We have to lead by example and encourage people and pick up the slack where we can.

It's a different situation, but I have proof that the concept works. I know two firefighters who used to never, ever wear their seatbelts in the engine. But after months of me nagging every time we get in, and a few times of them realizing that if I'm driving I don't even shift out of park until they're buckled, they now wear their seatbelts every time, even if I'm not there. Through leading by example, I am now a voice inside their head, and they actually feel good about it because they realize it's not such a hassle after all. Neither is picking up or packing out trash. It's just a matter of getting people to realize it.

It's not so much that people are all morons, I don't think. I think it's more of a problem that there are very few leaders being bred out of this generation, and far too many followers to go around.

Lack of self conscious, I'm stupid too, I think everyone I've seen including me are flawed to a certain degree, some are just more self conscious and have the courtesy to think and not affect other people.

Becuase being morons gets on people's nerves like you....
That's why god send morons into your life...to let people get on your fucken nerves :p
becuase your idea of the perfect world is totally fucken borning and retarded, but you're not god.
So your just going to have to deal with it becuase god likes getting on people's fucken nerves. hahahaaa

I understand exactly what you mean CAS. I'm not an angry person or anything, people know me as the very nice, quiet guy. I definitely try to respect everyone and am always friendly. I still feel disappointed and angry at people a lot of the times. Of course I also have moments where I think there are still people who are absolutely fantastic, but I still relate completely to what you are saying. All people (myself included) seem to be so idiotic and greedy it just makes me feel such a great disappointment in the human race.

I wouldn't say all these people are morons. they're flawed.

Somewhere you just gotta learn some tolerance for the sake of getting along, and remember, whoever you are, you're pretty flawed too.

People can change though. We aren't inherently evil. Most of us are just ignorant or absent minded, but have redeeming qualities elsewhere.

Though I agree, the planet would probably be better off without us... But the problem there lies with our politics and corporate society, not necessarily an individual basis.

Environmental protection laws are extremely difficult to pass, and they always mean somebody will lose money in the end... Usually the government... So each time a law is proposed to protect land or animals, there's enough lobbying against it to stop the law from being passed for at least 30-50 years, unless something catastrophic happens.

On the individual basis our litter is nothing. It's piss in an ocean. Nature has buffers for things like that to negate the candy wrapper you tossed on the ground... It's when an entire ecosystem disappears and all the animals are either killed or forced to migrate into surrounding habbitats that we really start seeing screwed up things. One of the causes for ecosystems disappearing is our accumulative litter that we DID throw out properly. So I think the real problem isn't that we aren't using trash cans, I think the real problem is that the practices of our industries. and on some level social mentality, means we're producing far too much non-biodegradable waste.

There's plenty of examples of human decency though. If you focus on the negative, of course that's all you'll see.

Mysis said:

Somewhere you just gotta learn some tolerance for the sake of getting along, and remember, whoever you are, you're pretty flawed too.

People can change though. We aren't inherently evil. Most of us are just ignorant or absent minded, but have redeeming qualities elsewhere.

Though I agree, the planet would probably be better off without us... But the problem there lies with our politics and corporate society, not necessarily an individual basis.

Environmental protection laws are extremely difficult to pass, and they always mean somebody will lose money in the end... Usually the government... So each time a law is proposed to protect land or animals, there's enough lobbying against it to stop the law from being passed for at least 30-50 years, unless something catastrophic happens.

On the individual basis our litter is nothing. It's piss in an ocean. Nature has buffers for things like that to negate the candy wrapper you tossed on the ground... It's when an entire ecosystem disappears and all the animals are either killed or forced to migrate into surrounding habbitats that we really start seeing screwed up things. One of the causes for ecosystems disappearing is our accumulative litter that we DID throw out properly. So I think the real problem isn't that we aren't using trash cans, I think the real problem is that the practices of our industries. and on some level social mentality, means we're producing far too much non-biodegradable waste.

There's plenty of examples of human decency though. If you focus on the negative, of course that's all you'll see.

I enjoyed this post immensley.

As Mysis said, we're all flawed in our own way.

The biggest tragedy is that it's so incredibly easy a person for their flaws but so incredibly difficult to see all the good things about them, and this applies to even those who are closest to us. How many times have we heard stories about a breakup where the person who left regretted it afterwords because they never realized how much that person actually did for them until they were gone.

Yes, there are plenty of morons out there, but there's not nearly as many as you'd imagine, it just requires you to take a closer look at a person to really know.

xkcd-sheeple.png

EveWasFramed said:
Mysis said:

I enjoyed this post immensley.

i did too. but my tolerance level is dropping. i really need something good to happen to me to push me in the other direction. i am finding it harder and harder to have tolerance for people and the stupid things they do. i dont want to think like this but i am finding it harder not to. its like my mind... has a mind... of its own. lol, yea that sounded weird. anyway, im sure everyone will get what i mean though.

There's no morons in this world...it's just one's perceptions of whatever the fresia it is.

If a person takes the time to take an inventory one's self. The good the bad...
asset and liabilites..etc. One knows one self. one knows one makes mistakes
and have all kinds of behaviors quarks.
If a person an accept him/sheself with all the qualities...good, bad..ect
Self acceptence, this is the beginning of good self esteem.
A person with good self esteem actaully knows they have flaws. They don't judge
or condem themselves.
Once a person can do this from within...
Have the love , pataince, tolerance, compassion, love, forgiveness for oneself
then a person will be less judgemental of others.

All of the manipulations, judgementally, competing, compairing stops.

The simple truth is no one is put on this planet to make you happy or make your life esier
or change to whatever the fresia you think is acceptable, wheather you think they're morons or
not....
It is only your reality of what you think is true not for anyone else.
Everyone have different reality and perceptions of life.....this is reality.

Latest posts

Back