Why do most healthy foods taste bad?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrannySmith111 said:
All the things you guys are suggesting to flavor your healthy foods to make it healthier are unhealthy. Hot sauce has no nutritional value to it.

I don't have anything against healthy food. I like the taste of healthy food and probably eat more of it than most people i know. It was just something I thought about one day and decided to bring it up.

Some people seem to wonder if certain things are healthy or not. I feel like I've found an almost foolproof way of finding that out for most foods without the need to look at ingredients or asking a nutritionist lol. Healthier foods taste worse than unhealthier foods for the most part in my opinion. This might not be the same for all of you, but I feel like it is for most of America. Classic junk food that we are used to eating taste much better than organic green veggies. For different cuts of meat, you can also tell if it is healthier just by the taste. Fattier cuts of meat that are more tender and have more flavor are less healthier than the lean cuts of meat I don't like as much.

Tapatio ingredients, as listed on the product label, are: water, red peppers, salt, spices, garlic, acetic acid, xanthan gum and sodium benzoate as a preservative.

It may not have nutritional value, but that's not what it's there for: it is there to make palatable the foodstuffs with actual significant nutritional offerings. That list of ingredients is mostly innocuous, and if you made your own you could skip the preservative, making it truly innocuous.

So hot sauce isn't hurting, only helping, helping to get down those bitter leafy greens, which are a major storehouse for nutritional goodness, without having to resort to salad dressings, which will be higher in calories, for what amounts to flavoring. The largely-innocuous, calorie-free Tapatio is a good thing, in my opinion. Otherwise there is pretty much no way I would be eating dandelion greens or mustard greens. If the hot sauce was loaded with empty calories, that would be another thing.

GrannySmith111 said:
You guys are lying to yourselves!

Fried chicken or that salad. 99.99% of America would choose the fried chicken, ignoring the health content. I'm sure you would too. If they both had the same calories, fat, nutrition content everyone would choose the fried chicken.

GrannySmith111 said:
All the things you guys are suggesting to flavor your healthy foods to make it healthier are unhealthy. Hot sauce has no nutritional value to it.

Some people seem to wonder if certain things are healthy or not. I feel like I've found an almost foolproof way of finding that out for most foods without the need to look at ingredients or asking a nutritionist lol. Healthier foods taste worse than unhealthier foods for the most part in my opinion. This might not be the same for all of you, but I feel like it is for most of America. Classic junk food that we are used to eating taste much better than organic green veggies. For different cuts of meat, you can also tell if it is healthier just by the taste. Fattier cuts of meat that are more tender and have more flavor are less healthier than the lean cuts of meat I don't like as much.

99.9% of America is a pretty unrealistic figure, considering we're made up of so many cultural backgrounds as well as varying lifestyles. We all find different things appealing.

Fried chicken doesn't have to be bad for you. It depends on how it's prepared. Most fast food places make it too greasy. If you do it at home, you can remove the skin, pick out the healthiest oil, and you don't have to deep fry it. And geeze- why pick chicken or salad? Have both!

There are plenty of people who would still like salad without dressing, because you're only supposed to use a little bit, anyway. I never buy salad dressing. I get a spoonful of vinegar or lemon juice, maybe mix in some herbs or add some seasonings, and add it to my veggies. The same goes with cheese. You're not supposed to camouflage the salad with it. It's just another ingredient. We need a little fat and calcium, and a sprinkle of cheese is a nice way to get it.

Hot sauce isn't unhealthy. It's low in calories. It contains capsaicin, which not only boosts your metabolism, but it stimulates your body to produce mood enhancing endorphins! That's healthy in my book. Even if a food had zero nutritional value, that wouldn't necessarily mean it was unhealthy. That's like saying a person who isn't a superhero is a villain.

As for meat- we eat a lot of fish and skinless poultry here. When we have pork or beef, we trim away as much fat as possible. However, the meat I prepare is, "melt in your mouth" tender and rich in flavour. If your low fat cuts of meat are tough and bland, they're not being prepared properly.

My 6 year old child asked ME this morning if I would pack CARROTS....plain carrots...for his snack today. He could have asked for cookies or graham crackers or anything else, yet he wanted carrots.

Latest posts

Back