Words that piss you off

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An archist

Reaction score
So, this a favorite topic for a few stand up comedians: Dennis Leary and George Carlin are the two that come to mind the quickest. Basically I'd like everyone to come up with a list of words that piss them off to no end for reasons that are beyond your understanding.

I hate:

'eatery' - this is a dumbfuck new invention. I never heard it before I turned 18 (I guess society wants to protect children from this level of stupidity). I believe that an eatery is what hipsters mean by restaurant but just don't want to use the vernacular of the riff raff. I hate this one most of all.

'boutique' - I don't even know what is meant by this one precisely, but it conjures up images of rich women with too much time on their hands primping themselves. You know the type: they have the face and voice of Nancy Pelosi but are addicted to plastic surgery (specifically tummy tucks, and labiaplasty). Maybe I don't like it cuz every old store or restaurant in my neighborhood that I like is either being turned into one of these or an equally useless tanning salon.

I'll come up with others once they occur to me. I look forward to reading about your pet-peeve words too!

Melancholy, the first time I heard that word I thought it was some kind of demented fruit.

An archist said:
'eatery' - this is a dumbfuck new invention.

I don't think it is that new. It is listed in my old 1930s dictionary.

Rachel Ray saying---DELISH! I love to cook and try to catch a minute here and there of whatever's on the the food channels, but that woman makes me want to scream sometimes...I have snagged a few good recipes from her though....:D

'save': growing up it always meant something in the context of 'save your pennies'. it was fine with me then. until i read a couple of books where the word 'save' started popping up but meant nothing at all as what i knew it to be before. it would appear in a sentence like this 'i went to the store and would've bought oranges save for they didn't have any' (something like that). huh? i kept reading it over and over. huh? huh? huh? at first i thought it was a typo until it kept appearing again and again.

then later i saw & heard others using it in that way that was so unfamiliar to me. and it drives me nuts. (except ((or should i say save lol)) for when people say save in any other way except how i am familiar with it in the first sentence. i do believe it might be old english or something. which i don't mind. except for the word 'save'.

'soda': where i grew up people say pop, as far as i knew. and the word soda was only used back in the 40's/50's/60's etc.. its a retro word, so i thought. (and i like things from then too, i love old surf music etc... i could go on). but, this is the word soda.

the first time i went out east (Boston/New York area etc.) everyone was saying soda. (well i think in Boston they say soder). (huh???) 'i'm going to the store to get a soda' etc.. (?) i thought i was transported back in time, and i thought it was kind of cool actually that they still said it, but i just couldn't figure out why. because where i am from it seemed to me at least, that noone ever says soda anymore. we just say 'i'm going to get a pop'.

so when i went out east, a good analogy of what it felt like to me would be as if everyone was walking around saying 'thus' and 'thou'. (same thing when i came upon the word 'save').

i think i am done now with this post save if i come upon another one:):D

moist

and when people say "fail" and "win". That's how 5 year olds talk. What's next ? "cookie" or "up" ? Youre an adult. Use your words.

boutique is actually a French word for "shop"

arch said:
'boutique' - I don't even know what is meant by this one precisely, but it conjures up images of rich women with too much time on their hands primping themselves. You know the type: they have the face and voice of Nancy Pelosi but are addicted to plastic surgery (specifically tummy tucks, and labiaplasty). Maybe I don't like it cuz every old store or restaurant in my neighborhood that I like is either being turned into one of these or an equally useless tanning salon.

I agree. Like people are too ******* fancy-shmancy to just say store.

eris said:
boutique is actually a French word for "shop"

I hate the French, so I hate that word. :p hehe

csmswhs said:
'save': growing up it always meant something in the context of 'save your pennies'. it was fine with me then. until i read a couple of books where the word 'save' started popping up but meant nothing at all as what i knew it to be before. it would appear in a sentence like this 'i went to the store and would've bought oranges save for they didn't have any' (something like that). huh? i kept reading it over and over. huh? huh? huh? at first i thought it was a typo until it kept appearing again and again.

then later i saw & heard others using it in that way that was so unfamiliar to me. and it drives me nuts. (except ((or should i say save lol)) for when people say save in any other way except how i am familiar with it in the first sentence. i do believe it might be old english or something. which i don't mind. except for the word 'save'.

That usage of the word "save" has been around for a long time, and is a grammatically correct and accepted usage. :p Sorry you don't like it. lol

Some words I don't like: General Grammatical Incorrectness, such as:

"Anymore." Apparently most people missed the handbook of rules for words, because I keep hearing this word being used incorrectly. I'm sorry, but you cannot put it at the beginning of a sentence like this:

"Anymore, I think that the school isn't doing that program this year."

I hate hate hate that. Please, for the love of god... use a word correctly if you're going to use it.

Also, I hate:

Singular/Plural Inconsistencies. A perfect example of this is Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry." In the song, there is a line that goes:

"and I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket,"

Really? REALLY? Child (singular) and their (plural)? Come on, this is like 3rd grade stuff, Fergie. Grow a brain and use your words. This is how it should have been written:

"and I'm gonna miss you like a child misses its (or also his/her) blanket."

Honestly... is grammar DEAD in this modern world?

I'm one of those people who says, "Soda", "Carbonated beverage", or "Soft drink". To me, Pop is a noise... like Snap, Crackle, Pop! ("Soda" has been part of the name since the late 1700s, by the way. I'm not sure the word, "retro" fits. Perhaps it is "antiquated".)

I hate it when people say things are "gay" or when somebody says a person acts "black" or "white" or says somebody is "retarded".

That usage of the word "save" has been around for a long time, and is a grammatically correct and accepted usage. Sorry you don't like it. lol

clam down, i guess i'll start speaking your language then lol.

thou art going to go watch a movie now. let thee knowest when thou'est come'est back'est with a better reply. save if thou shant' find one.

nerdygirl said:
I'm one of those people who says, "Soda", "Carbonated beverage", or "Soft drink". To me, Pop is a noise... like Snap, Crackle, Pop! ("Soda" has been part of the name since the late 1700s, by the way. I'm not sure the word, "retro" fits. Perhaps it is "antiquated".)

I hate it when people say things are "gay" or when somebody says a person acts "black" or "white" or says somebody is "retarded".

are you from out east?:) to me that is language from down at the 'burgerhop'.

although good point, antiquated might be more fitting.

cheers:):D

Nina said:
Rachel Ray saying---DELISH! I love to cook and try to catch a minute here and there of whatever's on the the food channels, but that woman makes me want to scream sometimes...I have snagged a few good recipes from her though....:D

Haha- Rachel Ray has a strong personality but I like her. Plus her accent reminds me of my people back in upstate NY :)

Ok, I have a litany of words I don't like, here's a few:

Sustainable - can anyone tell me what the f*ck that means??? And "locavore"??? Just stop it already!!!
"It is what it is" - Oh, really?
People who say "Alltimers" when they're trying to say Alzheimer's or "supposebly" for supposedly...
I have a co-worker who uses "literally" in about every other sentence. I don't think this chick even knows what it means.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more...

Teresa

I'm from everywhere- military brat! I've lived in enough places to hear people call it "Soda", "Pop", "Coke" and even "Sodeepop" from elderly.

Wandering stranger said:
vajayjay- There is no cute word for vagina
poonaner- see above

Oh, I beg to differ, wandering stranger. As the proud owner of a simply adorable vajay-jay and considering there's like 54,254 different nicknames for penis, I beg to differ :D

Teresa

csmswhs said:

thou art going to go watch a movie now. let thee knowest when thou'est come'est back'est with a better reply. save if thou shant' find one.

That's better. :)

conversate

I am never sure if they are going for street slang or Italian.

Badjedidude said:
csmswhs said:

That's better. :)

smot oss (that's old russian:))

nerdygirl said:

I also hate it when my folks say pop when it's Soda.

Edit: There is a few other words but I can't think of them now.

Ewww, conversate! I had blocked its existence out of my mind and now it's back again. Gee, thanks a lot, Minus. Now I'm going to have to run around stabbing people with stalks of celery until I block it out again.

nerdygirl said:
I'm from everywhere- military brat! I've lived in enough places to hear people call it "Soda", "Pop", "Coke" and even "Sodeepop" from elderly.

smalldrawn.gif

I think i normally use 'soft drink' or whatever the brand may be.

Latest posts

Back