Would anyone like to be pen pals?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thalassa

Reaction score
I have always wanted a pen pal, but due to having 'no life' as I would put it, I have always felt reluctant to write to people.

It would just depress me to hear about their full lives while I only had emotions and such to write about.

Maybe this doesn't appeal much to the technology fans, because I'm not talking about e-mails.

I mean handwritten letters from someone who also feels extremely alone and alienated in this world.

I'm 24, female, European, open-minded.

Anyone is welcome, but it would be especially great to have someone in their 20's so I wouldn't feel so alone in this bloody rut!

Thanks for reading and I'll try to not take it personally if you all hate real letters :p

ahh I wish I'd have a pen pal too, as I like getting letters, the idea of it, as I haven't received a letter specifically addressed to me. I do wonder how it would feel. I like tangible objects you could touch and feel and smell, like letters or books or papers. It must be quite an awesome feeling to have something made/written for you. :D

But sadly, since I started working, I couldn't go to the post office anymore, as it usually opens during my work time and closes after I finished. I could also send it via private courier but I live miles away from your place, it'd cost so much ^^ our postal service sucks so much xD

But ****, that's a really good idea. :D

I hope you'll be able to find a pen mate. :)

I'm not sure where you live (could it be Germany?), but can't you buy stamps online? Then you could drop the letters in the mailboxes around town, right? Just an idea, don't know whether it's apllicable to you.

I am glad someone doesn't think my idea is silly! :)

thalassa said:
I'm not sure where you live (could it be Germany?), but can't you buy stamps online? Then you could drop the letters in the mailboxes around town, right? Just an idea, don't know whether it's apllicable to you.

I am glad someone doesn't think my idea is silly! :)

I live in the Philippines. and our mailbox doesn't really work as there's no mail man who would get them daily. Our post office is in danger of closing and it has constant lacking of employees since the boom of internet and private couriers. It opens at about 8 am and closes at 4 pm and the most convenient drop off point for me, I just recently found out, had close. Must be from retrenching of employees. We are doomed :D

Of course, I don't think your idea is silly. I've always loved letters and papers and old pictures with finely written dedications at the back :D

Oh the old days! ^^

Oh, that's a pity. It sounds a lot different there than here then, we have mailboxes all over the place, we can order stamps online and the post offices are open until 6pm and even on Saturday. If ever you have a day off and can write a letter, then feel free to get in touch :)

yeah, well you live in europe ^^ but that would be a great idea. Thanks :)

Maybe me, if you don't mind utterly illegible handwriting

Maybe me, if you don't mind utterly illegible handwriting

Always glad to talk to new people...but sadly, I'm all for electronic pen pals. No postage, for starters. Plus, sometimes the wait times can be much less than waiting for the letter to arrive. Although, I gotta admit, folks are much more keen on leaving you without as much as a word in the net. Dunno how things work with proper PnP penpalship, but I'm guessing if you're dedicated enough to do so in the first place, it'll most likely be more fruitful than the usual two-PMs-exchanged-before-losing-contact you got on the web. :p Still, best of luck to you on your search- we could all do with a having a bit more people to talk to.

I did pen & paper with a girl once, for awhile. Its sweet, romantic and feels very Victorian at times. Be sure to use elegant stationary paper and your best script, because when else do you get to?

I remember back when I was eight or nine years old I used to have a pen pal with someone in the States. It only lasted a few letters but it was refreshing. It was on initiative of both our schools. Come to think about it, I couldn't even write proper English back then. Our teachers have probably read through our letters to translate them, the injustice!

Oh well, that was still before the uprising of the e-mpire. I agree that emails don't have the same attending effect or serve feelings of genuine care as a properly handwritten letter might do. Though creative use of electronic mails can give heartwarming results as well imho.

I'd be interested, only I'm a full fledged IT-guy (read or don't read IT-nerd). I've replaced my hand steadiness for mad ninety words per minute typing skills. Hand written letters from me would probably look like they have been written by a ten year old. Also I don't see myself writing letters as a true means of correspondence. More as... exchanging gifts. I wouldn't do it more often than once a month. For 'regular' communication I simply prefer emails because they're easy, fast and cost nothing.

thalassa said:
I have always wanted a pen pal, but due to having 'no life' as I would put it, I have always felt reluctant to write to people.

It would just depress me to hear about their full lives while I only had emotions and such to write about.

Maybe this doesn't appeal much to the technology fans, because I'm not talking about e-mails.

I mean handwritten letters from someone who also feels extremely alone and alienated in this world.

I'm 24, female, European, open-minded.

Anyone is welcome, but it would be especially great to have someone in their 20's so I wouldn't feel so alone in this bloody rut!

Thanks for reading and I'll try to not take it personally if you all hate real letters :p

I would love to have a pen-pal. For the same reason you do. Would you be interested in talking to someone from Canada? It will probably take awhile to recieve each other's letters, though. But it's completely up to you.

The amount of time between letters :/ ... How could you ever get to know anyone?

Seems interesting, though, that people used to do that yesteryear... but then again, that was the only option they had haha.

i think as time moved on we have become more and more reliant on techonology.
i once had a penpal when i was at school but i never got a reply so im pretty sure my teacher didn't send them out :/
anyway i would love to have a writing penpal.
my email adress is on my profile if anybody wants it :)
but if your are interested in letters than i can do that too, just send me a private message with your adress or something and we can take it from there :)

hi. i'd like to chat. i barely have any contacts on msn. if you wan't, you can add me (my msn address is on my profile)

Latest posts

Back