WrestleMania 34

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seosa said:
I should emphasise that I meant that they'd become "WWE Superstars" and were succeeding. You and I both know just how good these guys were/are and how they all had what it takes to succeed in the WWE but the barrier has always been Vince and his creative team of Yes Men. Haitch's growing influence is taking the company in the right direction, or at least we can only hope it is.

You know, I wonder at that. I mean, I liked some of the things he's done and some of the change he's brought, but one of the thing Vince did that kills it for me is the storylines. In the sense that what I always enjoyed in wrestling is the story two guys or more told in the ring, with their bodies. I haven't watched Raw in a long time, but last time I did, GOD....3 hours is long enough, but it felt like 2:30 hours of talking and barely 30 minutes of actual wrestling...
I was a fan of CM Punk while he was there because he enjoyed throwing the word "wrestler" around which is something Vince tried to eliminate (so he can make money off of the trademarked "WWE Superstar" instead...). One of the things I hate the most is the INCREDIBLY scripted nature of matches now, instead of the ad-lib, improv of guys and gals who have literally been doing this for a lifetime (in most cases) and know what they are doing in a ring. I wish they'd get more leeway, lots of matches seem artificial because of it, nowadays. I understand they want to push shows in certain directions, but it's so set in stone, it kind of looks it sometimes.
Has that changed at all?
I do hope Lévesque plans to take it back to what I consider it closer to it's roots. It was a more interesting to watch, for me, than sometimes silly storylines. I mean, when you got guys as talented as Aj, Roode, Joe, Jericho even if older, Kevin Steen, Joe Hennig who's TOTALLY underused, you should try and give them free reign and see what they can do with it. No one could have scripted the successes of Steve Austin or the Rock or others, and that's one of the things that bothers me today.

You know, a funny little addendum on all this and my passion for wrestling, I was running around Wikipedia looking up old articles and wrestling promotion. Like in the US, my province, more probably than ANY other in Canada, has a long love story with wrestling. Here, take a look at this entry lol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutte_Internationale
It was the main promotion in the 80's here, before Vince bought it and drove it under. It reads like a who's who of famous WWF wrestlers of the 80's, it still amazes me so many were jumping around making loads of cash at the time. And in the old forum there are still pictures there of old 50's matches with Lou Thesz and Johnny Rougeau, the Rougeau boys father. Not to mention not a lot of people know Andre, well loved here, actually founded a wrestlring promotion in Montréal ;-)

God, wrestling has such a profound history. Too bad it's practically dead nowadays.

Latest posts

Back