A bit triggered right now...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyYogi

Reaction score
I know it's my problem but tonight, I am just feeling that for ONCE, I wish people would stop bragging on FB on their wonderful familial lives, good times, etc.

WHY do people need to do this?

I have good times and some good things in my life but I don't need to post them. I am more private.

GF today posted how great her Easter was with not ONE family but TWO....

It triggered me because although I wasn't alone on Easter and I had some fun...I have no family like she does. : ( Triggered some major sadness/"what is wrong with me" type of feelings tonight.

I wish they would think before they post. Why do they need to do this? Why do they need to post to the world? Don't they think that not everyone has what they have???

And it's so funny how they share how much "fun" they had...to me if they really had fun they'd forget FB for a bit. That's what I do....when I am really having fun do I think of posting on FB? NO! I just live my life.

End of rant!

HappyYogi said:
And it's so funny how they share how much "fun" they had...to me if they really had fun they'd forget FB for a bit. That's what I do....when I am really having fun do I think of posting on FB? NO! I just live my life.

Some people love to show their friends and family who they're seeing, what they're doing, and how much fun they're having. They aren't giving a moment's thought to how it would affect someone negatively.

But I don't blame them for posting this stuff. That's what FB is for, actually. It's for sharing our lives with our friends and family.

Maybe you should do what I did and deactivate your account when you experience these low moments.

Case said:
HappyYogi said:

Some people love to show their friends and family who they're seeing, what they're doing, and how much fun they're having. They aren't giving a moment's thought to how it would affect someone negatively.

But I don't blame them for posting this stuff. That's what FB is for, actually. It's for sharing our lives with our friends and family.

Maybe you should do what I did and deactivate your account when you experience these low moments.

I agree with this. What they post on their walls is their right. I find that most people share their photos of family and post about it to show the people that were there that they appreciate them and whatnot.

If you don't like what they post, you can always set them to acquaintance and you won't see their stuff pop up in your news feed. Or, you can take it a step further and deactivate or not visit facebook for a while, like Case suggested.

Social media has it's ups and downs, but you can't control what others do on theirs. I'm sure there might be some people that don't like what you post all the time too. Take the steps you need to to protect yourself from feeling worse by what others post, but don't blame them for what they do when it's their social media page.

Hi Happy Yogi, I agree with some posts above that it might be best for you to leave Facebook to one side for a while. It isn't worth going there when it upsets you so much. It sounds a bit like a bad toothache which aches when you poke it. Just keep away for a while, especially if you are starting to feel a bit low to begin with.

Hi everyone. I never ever said it wasn't their right to post on FB all their family life, good times, etc. I never said that and never would tell anyone it's not their right.

I was just posting here to let off a little bit of stress. Isn't that what this board is for? Can you allow me to do that?

Also, there was an article once categoring all FB posts and yes, often people do it to scream "look at me"! and "look at the great life I live"! Doesn't mean they don't have a right...just saying sometimes it's stupid.

And that is not all that FB is for. I go on there to connect with others on similar interests, talk about ideas and enjoy doing so. I am starting to just go by her posts now...that's all.

HappyYogi said:
Also, there was an article once categoring all FB posts and yes, often people do it to scream "look at me"! and "look at the great life I live"! Doesn't mean they don't have a right...just saying sometimes it's stupid.

Some people do that to hide the truth that their life isn't as grand as it appears.

HappyYogi said:
I was just posting here to let off a little bit of stress. Isn't that what this board is for? Can you allow me to do that?

Nobody was attacking you. Of course it's fine to vent on here a bit... we all do from time to time. :D

When people replied to you in this thread, they're just offering friendly advice, they're not berating you or contradicting you or anything. I'm pretty sure we've all been annoyed at one time or another when one of our friends on FB post things like that. I sure have.

Badjedidude said:
HappyYogi said:

Nobody was attacking you. Of course it's fine to vent on here a bit... we all do from time to time. :D

When people replied to you in this thread, they're just offering friendly advice, they're not berating you or contradicting you or anything. I'm pretty sure we've all been annoyed at one time or another when one of our friends on FB post things like that. I sure have.

^This. Back in December, I felt exactly as you did about FB, HappyYogi, and so I deactivated my FB account for a few weeks to spare myself the overwhelming feeling that I was having a lesser life. It was really painful. I also started a thread here to vent about it myself. So, you're good. Really.

My comment was to express my empathy to your comments because I felt it myself. You are free to vent all you want here. :)

There was a little bit of berating and it happens a lot on boards like this.

I notice this a lot on some advice boards. Where they tell the op the obvious...something the OP was not even advocating.

In this case I was told "don't blame them for what they post".

As I said before everyone has the freedom to post what they want. I never advocated differently. I come here just to express because I was not having a great day. I wish others would allow others to do that without making assumptions...like in my case...that I want to control what others post, etc. Just listen...that's all. People want to come here and feel safe to express themselves, not berate them for something they didn't even advocate in the first place.

Get it?

Badjedidude said:
HappyYogi said:

Thank you Case. I actually am fine now...am enjoying FB for what it is. It was just a bad day, that's all. I don't want to deactivate it because there is too much I do enjoy. But thanks for the input. And thanks for not berating me! ; )

Case said:
Badjedidude said:
HappyYogi said:

^This. Back in December, I felt exactly as you did about FB, HappyYogi, and so I deactivated my FB account for a few weeks to spare myself the overwhelming feeling that I was having a lesser life. It was really painful. I also started a thread here to vent about it myself. So, you're good. Really.

My comment was to express my empathy to your comments because I felt it myself. You are free to vent all you want here. :)

I'm sorry to hear you feeling like this but I completely agree with the whole "what's wrong with me" emotions after looking at FB or some other moment that people are sharing. Does it make you feel at odds with yourself? I know for me, part of me wants to be happy for someone (dare not become bitter) but the other part of me is...well...bitter! Not that I want them to stop what they're doing mind, more that I wish I could do the same.

I've avoided FB due to those feelings but yes, sometimes you wonder about the people out having so much fun with their friends that they stop to post a message about it every five seconds!

Latest posts

Back