21 problems only retail staff will understand

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had number 19 happen. What was weird was that he made it a point to pick out every employee that was working, and go "Hey, *first name*". He pretty much did it to all four of us in the span of about 30 seconds while we got his food. We all agreed that guy was weird as fresia.

One extreme retail experience I had was when I worked at a video-rental/music store. A woman came into the store followed immediately by an angry, rough-looking man who started screaming at the woman for allegedly cutting him off on the road. He grabbed her and pushed her to the floor, continuing to yell threats at her while a few shocked people looked on. The woman cowered on the floor and started to shake from fear. Then, the man stormed out of the store, walked over to his motorcycle, which he had parked near the woman's car, and gave the woman's car several kicks before riding away.

But he didn't realize that and I had run over to a nearby window and wrote down his license plate number as he rode away. The woman was really shook up by this, but I assured her that I had his license plate number and I gave her my name if she needed a witness. I handed her the piece of paper with the license number while a manager was calling the police.

Anyway, about a week later, I get a call from a detective to come down to the station. He wanted to talk to me about the incident. I was more than happy. When I got there, I was handed a series of cards with several photos on each. The detective asked me to pick out the guy I remember assaulting the woman. When I saw his picture, I immediately pointed to the man's face.
The detective looked at me skeptically and said, 'Look again. Are you POSITIVE it wasn't this one?", and he pointed to another pic. "No" I said, firmly. "THIS is definitely the guy." Then, the detective said, "Now, are you certain you wrote the license plate number down correctly? We're having trouble identifying it in our system. Maybe you transposed a number or two?"

I was taken aback. I knew I wrote that number down perfectly, and now I was being questioned for my accuracy? Incensed, I told him, "I wrote that number down immediately. The number I gave the woman is the attacker's license plate number. No doubt in my mind." It was irritating to see this detective acting like I might have made a mistake.

Suddenly, the detective relaxed his posture and told me the story. Turns out, I had correctly identified the attacker in the photos. The picture I pointed to was the owner of the license plate I gave the woman, so now they had enough to press assault charges. The guy was a career criminal, and they had already arrested him prior to my questioning. He said I might be asked to testify in court, but sadly, I was never called. I assumed that he made a plea deal.

Thus began (and ended) my stellar career as a retail super hero. lol

everything has happened to me over the years

been punched in the face
kicked by a group of thugs
had a beer can thrown at me, struck me in the eye
spat at
called 'gay'
called every other insult you can imagine

haha yeah, I work in toy r... something or other so so I kick out teenagers all the time.

few weeks ago one of them tried to front kick me in the chest... I say tried to, I caught his foot, twisted it outwards, and shoved his arse out the shop, dumping him to the floor, his mates found it hilarious, he started tearing up.

ahhh twas a good day :p

LOL That's pretty spot on. How about customers calling and asking if you can stay open late just for them, thinking you have nothing else better to do. Or them saying I'll be there in 5 minutes and show up 15 minutes later or more.

cant say I've had that, one of the best ones for me, we have a collection point that I work on for big stuff that cant be out on the shelf, so you pay with a ticket, then collect it from me.

People buy big wooden swingsets that are out on display then expect to get them in the smallest of cars, and go "I didn't realize it was gonna be that big"... wtf are you SERIOUS, its on display, its a huge wooden swingset, wtf did you expect, I give you some magic beans and you grow it ???

And we have ones so big you need a large transit van to fit them, and customers expect me to drag it down to see if it fits... Hell to the no people, I am telling you, you need a van, I've worked here ten years, I know better than you :eek:

From the other side of it there's retail staff who follow you around and keep asking if you need help. I know it's part of their training, but it's frustrating when you just want to be left alone to browse for a few moments.

ardour said:
From the other side of it there's retail staff who follow you around and keep asking if you need help. I know it's part of their training, but it's frustrating when you just want to be left alone to browse for a few moments.

yeah that is annoying, its not so much training tho, its pressure to reach stupid quotas so sometimes they have to or risk not getting hours/losing their jobs

Haha it's all true, I worked at Clarks for 4 years when I was in my teens. Awful job!

Not only did I have to deal with kids calling me metal mouth ( I had piercings), I had to deal with their idiot parents too.

I had one parent let their child's germ infested fingers touch my lips and all she said 'aww isn't he curious' 😠!
I also had an alcoholic boss that used most of the work day sleeping off her hangover in her car and when she was in the store she used the rest of the day to disgust us, by telling all her employees about her sex life and how she enjoyed using baby oil after a shower.

Another thing I disliked was if you told a customer something wasn't in stock, and ran around the houses seeing if it's in other shops and they weren't, they would look at you with such contempt like you should go to the stock room and make the shoes for them.

There was a time when this woman came in to buy insoles that were £2.00 and tried to haggle the price, and said I should give her a discount because were both black ' my sista, were from the same skin'!

However the biggest moron that walked into the shop was a lady that after entering asked ' is this Clarks?' Does the multitude of signs and shoes not give it away!

I know I always try to be nice to checkout staff, having done that I know how mind numbing it can be be.

So often I suddenly wondered if the last customer had actually paid... I just could not remember!!! Bonus was my friend working in the freezers who would 'drop' some ice cream and mark it way way down for me!!! :p

lol, had a great one today, i was covering the checkout for someones lunch, and customer storms up and asks this, I wont elaborate any further and see how many people pick up on how silly this is.

"hey you, there's a toy I'm looking for and its not on your shelf, so where is it?" (giving me disgusted look)

zibafu said:
lol, had a great one today, i was covering the checkout for someones lunch, and customer storms up and asks this, I wont elaborate any further and see how many people pick up on how silly this is.

"hey you, there's a toy I'm looking for and its not on your shelf, so where is it?" (giving me disgusted look)

Euuurhhh that made my tummy grumble, what a ******! Soo many times I just wanted to shout - HOW DARE YOOOU! I know that would really scare them, and that would please me. 👹

Latest posts

Back