24 y/o guy looking for friends

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello :)

I'm a guy from NZ looking for a like mind.

The biggest challenge in my life has been maintaining friendships. I'm gradually getting better at it but loneliness has taken its toll on my psyche. I'm quite heavily depressed (general hopelessness, anxiety, and major episodes every few weeks). This is partly due to loneliness and partly because because of an incredibly traumatic breakup I went through last year.

To help with my loneliness I moved into an area of my home city with a very accepting, active and supportive community. It helps a lot but I still very much long for the company of someone more like myself.
People often call me 'too intense' which I have learned is an expression of the discomfort people feel when exposed to my extreme openness, over-analysis and lack of regard for social context. Sometimes people just want to have a casual, chilled out conversation. But I never really chill out. I'm always too interested.

I've learned to keep most of my thoughts to myself in the interest of social cohesion. I don't mind doing this. I know everyone has to conform to social norms to some extent. No one can truly be themselves. But it is my dream to meet someone who feels as I do that honesty is never inappropriate and that an "intense analysis" of something interesting is always preferable to some "casual, chill small talk".

You don't have to be the person I described to answer this thread. :) You just have to find me interesting and worthy of your time. Sometimes opposites are very compatible.

I'm like you too with the depression and anxiety. I'm going through an 'episode' at the moment but i'd still be happy to talk if you want. I'm not from new zealand though.

Grey said:
I'm like you too with the depression and anxiety. I'm going through an 'episode' at the moment but i'd still be happy to talk if you want. I'm not from new zealand though.

Yes :) let us skype or something.

Sounds so familiar. I tend to be far to direct and honest with my words. But everyday we learn something new. Sugarcoating seems to not only work on cakes. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

I know everyone has to conform to social norms to some extent. No one can truly be themselves.

Interesting you say that, most of society seems false to me. Like they're going round acting, though you can normally see the legit from the "fakes", but still... I'd rather that than going out seeing horrific people yelling abuse or whatever.

People call me "too intense" all the time. I can't place my finger on it, but I seem to have the sort of presence that makes others uncomfortable (including my own parents and my boyfriend). Unfortunately, I'm cursed with this ability to read other people's emotions like an open book, so its very obvious to me how others feel. Their distress makes me distressed...it's a bad cycle. I guess it must be the things I say, so I usually try to keep my mouth shut! It would be great to have someone like myself to talk to.

I'm in the US, I don't use skype. But I can use aim, PM's, e-mail, or facebook.

Some people are just logical, emotional, interested and interesting people who want to dissect the world around them in in-depth discussions to make sense of it all.

I like such people., and such discussions :cool:

I'm LadyX86 on skype

Latest posts

Back