56 and lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno Bill

Reaction score
I'm 56, retired, have health issues, and very lonely. I guess I've always been pretty much a "loner", not because I wanted to be necessarily, but just never was good at connecting with people. I was raised by antisocial parents who never taught me how to intereact with people, and who were a very poor example themselves. Then there was their alcoholism. I made it through life okay, with my work carrying me through. That provided the socialization I needed, and occasionally a friend or two. After retiring, I got deprssed and went to work part time. That was okay for a while, but working retail got extremely old after a while. I "retired" again, and it's been downhill since then. I developed sciatic nerve pain, depression, anxiety, bursitis, arthritis. It just seems like one thing after another over the last year. And only a couple of friends who say they're there for me, but they're living their own lives, and I spend most of my time alone. I've tried volunteering, which is a little satisfying, but still hard to connect with others. It doesn't look promising for making new friends. At this age especially it's extremely hard. I got to bed often hoping I won't wake up. When I do, I get up and go about the same do nothing routine. With my health issues, I can't even walk a lot or do much at the gym. I'm just having a hard time finding a reason to carry on anymore. I'm just ranting here, thanks for listening. Hope everyone else is doing better!!!

My heart goes out to you Sir. But at age 56 I was hoping that you atleast have a wife or some kids :S

Hi Reno Bill. I am 55 and am also on my own not through choice. My life is very similar to your own-I have health issues, some friends (who also have their own lives) and I go out and do different things but then come home to emptiness. Are you still hoping to meet someone to settle down with or have you given up on this? I still hope to meet someone and this hope keeps me going. Maybe you could meet someone? It is never too late.

Hi Bill. I find your story moving and the feelings that you describe all to familiar. My heart goes out to you Bill. Drop me a PM if you'd like.

See thats the one reason why i never want to retire! I know for a fact that soon as i do, ill get bored and depressed.
I read somewhere that retiring is one of the worst things for your health, because once you go into shutdown mode it has some negative affects on both the mind and body.

Have you thought about going back into education and learning a new skill. Maybe play an instrument?

Latest posts

Back