Afraid of being a burden

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I feel really strange about posting this, but I suppose I've had this fear for a while now, but just realised it.

I've been trying to get a job for ages. I've just turned 18 and I'm living with my parents as most do at this age, but I hate being at home because I feel like I'm burdening them and I really just want to get away from them. Being home reminds me of that. I know it's irrational to think this way but I can't really help it.

They've never told me to get a job but they have such high expectations of my achievement at school it drives me to break down sometimes. They don't remotely understand me, although I suppose that's no different to how most teenagers feel.

I just realised tonight of this fear of being a burden, but I suppose that makes sense given my low self-esteem and fear of people disliking me. I'm afraid this fear will spread to other parts of my life, now that I've realised its existence.

If anyone could provide some consolation or advice that would be great.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back