All I want is a friend...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Difference between you and me is you've had friends, you've had that confidence booster, youve been knocked down, and been able to get back up..

I try and put myself out there, to try and make friends, etc, but every time, i get shut down, and become the awkward weirdo infringing on everyones fun. Someone said earlier they hate when people tell them to 'stop being lonely', and 'just go make friends'.. same for me, i cannot just up and do it, im not that way, making friends and being social is the hardest thing i have ever tried to do.. Some people differ in thier social skills and levels.

I guess the wheel of life is too slippery for me or something, i cant get a grasp on it.

I guess I'm the exception to the rule. Yay me! :D

And Bicycling is fun! Another thing that's fun to do is to take up a sport. I play Basketball, which I have fun at, but any sport will do.

You don't even have to be good. Just dribble that ball and shoot hoops until you get a decent workout.

EDIT:

Actually, what you describe sounds more like Aspergers. Have you ever been tested?

If you don't know what that is, look it up. Most geeks tend to be somewhere on the autistic spectrum. Einstein was an Aspie. But if you're having trouble socially, it might be something to look into....therapists can help you with that.

EmptyFaces_EmptyEyes said:
Difference between you and me is you've had friends, you've had that confidence booster, youve been knocked down, and been able to get back up..

I try and put myself out there, to try and make friends, etc, but every time, i get shut down, and become the awkward weirdo infringing on everyones fun. Someone said earlier they hate when people tell them to 'stop being lonely', and 'just go make friends'.. same for me, i cannot just up and do it, im not that way, making friends and being social is the hardest thing i have ever tried to do.. Some people differ in thier social skills and levels.

I guess the wheel of life is too slippery for me or something, i cant get a grasp on it.

But that's just it. You can get a grasp on it. From the looks of it, I can tell you are somewhat depressed. And that's to be expected. But don't worry dude. It's hard for all of us on this site as well. :)

The thing is to not give up, to every day continue giving it your best. If you don't like your current situation, work on changing it. Change won't happen overnight; you know that. Stay confident.

Lol leaning, there are a lot of exceptions.

That’s why I liked Kung Fu, even though they weren’t friends, but more like acquaintances, the people there offered support and such when I was down, messed up, etc etc. Helped my confidence a little.. It gave me a good workout, I just didn’t do what needed to be done elsewhere, like eating healthy. Maybe when I get back in it I can build my confidence up more, try and make better friends within first..

I wanted to let you know that I do have friends, but most of them are flakes. I don't get invited to parties. My best friend from high school actually calls me from them...and then says he has to go after five minutes! It's like, why did you call me if you just wanted to hang out with other people?

I was never an outcast completely, but I have never been "popular." I was always sort of in the middle: someone cool enough to talk to, but not cool enough to invite to parties. I only get talked to in classes if they're trying to ask me how to answer a question...so I'm the smart one, but not the really cool one.

But I do have social opportunities, even though it's hard for me. I don't hold grudges. Life is too short to hold a grudge.

I wanted to add in a link. Sparkpeople.com. Go there, and you can create lists and manage your diet. It's been helpful to me...I've already lost 10 pounds!

Im told im like my Dad in a lot of ways. He has extreme OCD, hates everyone and everything, he has a few friends, that are all exactly like him.

Ive never been tested, i was tested for ADHD and i have it.. but that doesnt pertain to anything here, i dont think..

retrainthebrain.com said:
Diane Kennedy, author of the The ADHD Autism Connection, makes a strong case for the distinct similarities between the symptoms of ADHD and autism. While her journey began as an effort to help her sons, it became a mission to increase awareness about the commonalities between these two disorders. Having the uncommon experience of having three textbook cases of ADHD in her home, she found that her third son had been misdiagnosed as having ADHD with Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) at three years old. Doctors consider ODD as intentional and willful. However, the only solution offered for ADHD was medication that proved ineffective.

She soon observed his delayed social and motor skills, plus extreme sensitivity to sensory stimuli, the same deficiences that autism has. He finally received a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome despite a very high IQ. After experiencing the turmoil in his misdiagnosis, she began a serious investigation over several years that entailed exploring ADHD research and talking to experts. While searching for a commonality of symptoms, she discovered a medical dichotomy exists in how the two condtions are diagnosed. She notes a recent study of thirty-nine children from six to eleven with Asperger's. By the time that diagnosis was made, 92% had carried other diagnoses or educational labels, the most frequent was ADHD.

She quickly found that while ADHD research focused on the features of the disorder, autism research examined the disorder for root causes so that more effective treatments could be developed. While both were developmental disorders, they both share similar features and affect children in the same three central areas: communication, social interaction and behavior. Yet each group of research approached its disorder differently. Kennedy maintains that this is where the confusion arises as the medical and educational professionals are not trained to recognize the similarities between the disorders. Researchers and clinicians look for the differences between the two.

Kennedy notes that most parents have a gut reaction that their child's development is not progressing as it should, but, because strong guidelines are used to diagnose autism, children with a milder form on the autism spectrum often fall through the cracks and fail to qualify for help. Ironically, autism often manifests itself as the child matures, when it presents extreme social and functional difficulties. She strongly urges parents to become more aware of what they should know -- ADHD and Asperger's are closely related disorders.

http://www.retrainthebrain.com/autism.html

I'm not saying you have it, and it isn't a bad thing if you had it. Einstein had a successful life despite being an Aspie. Many doctors and scientists have Aspergers. It just means you're wired a little differently.

Wouldn't hurt to get it checked, just to make sure.

Latest posts

Back