always awake during the night

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misanthrope23

Reaction score
i think i have insomnia guys. i can't stand it. i try to sleep early but i just end up waking up 3 hours later. i tend to be anxious a lot too. does anyone have helpful tips to sleep better, besides sleeping earlier or just not be anxious?

I don't know if it really helps, but my mom has insomnia and she always drinks this specific tea before bed. It's supposed to help you get a good night sleep and all. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try :)

I can't sleep because I feel sick when I do. I've yet to correct my sleep problems so.. sorry can't be of much help here.

I woke up last night after being asleep for an hour and a half. I came down and had a cup of hot chocolate. Sometimes just getting out of bed and coming downstairs is enough to break the tossing and turning and the worrying about how worn out I will feel the next day if I get no sleep. I often go off to sleep fairly soon after returning to bed.
Another thing which sometimes helps when I can't sleep is to accept that I might be awake for the rest of the night. This often makes me feel relaxed enough to sleep.
Failing this, (this may sound weird) I sometimes make my mind think about the sorts of odd stuff which happens only in dreams, as if I am already asleep and dreaming. This usually sends me to sleep.

I have a lot of sleep issues. I currently am prescribed a strong hypnotic which does work well but there's no way I can advise someone to take medication, unless it's your last option. Some things you can try are: no tv or computer an hour before you go to bed. The lights are stimulating your brain to keep you awake, it needs time to cool down before attempting to go into unconsciousness. Exercise in the day, but not too close to sleep time. Some gentle yoga or stretches can be good. Take a bath or shower, keep your bed and sleeping space clean and tidy. Read a book. As the person above said, certain tea's or warm drinks can really help some people. Valerian root is a natural plant with a sedative effect, but this is borderline medication imo, idk, you may want to ask your dr about it or research a bit.

Oh and something i like to do if i can't sleep is to find a comfortable sleeping position and say to myself i'm not allowed to move until i count to 500. I then race in my head as fast as I can to 500 and am allowed to adjust myself. Then i go to 1000 and reset if necessary. When you start forgetting what number you're on, which hundred, which ten etc, you are falling asleep.

Misanthrope23 said:
i think i have insomnia guys. i can't stand it. i try to sleep early but i just end up waking up 3 hours later. i tend to be anxious a lot too. does anyone have helpful tips to sleep better, besides sleeping earlier or just not be anxious?

good sleep happens when both your body and mind are emptied.

so understand your potential and limitations, make peace with yourself. exercise a few hours before sleep. turn off your electronics some time before sleep. instead, take a shower, read a book in bed, or something.

Have you tried closing your eyes?

Seriously, just sounds like your body clock is messed up, it takes a bit of time to get it back on track. You need to regulate your sleeping by slowly adjusting it to when you wanna sleep, go bed fifteen minutes earlier every few nights, I've found listening to relaxing video's on YouTube help me to sleep sometimes, like ASMR ones etc...

It also could be down to your energy levels, if you sit around all day then go bed, you wont need to sleep as much.

Latest posts

Back