Any advice on where to find friends?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJones

Reaction score
Hi, almost a year ago now my girlfriend got a job in another city so I decided to move away with her. The problem is that I've always found it hard to make friends, and although there are a couple of people at work that I think are great, I just don't consider them my kind of people if you know what I mean? Social events for them mainly consist of getting very drunk in pubs, and watching football etc, things I don't like to do very much. I'm a big geek really and would love to find other geeks to interact with but they're suprisingly rare to find in real life. Forums are cool, but I'd just love to have a friend or 2 to go play games and watch films with. My girlfriend is amazing but pigs will freeze over before she'll go on the xbox with me or watch anime.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to seek out people I would like to be friends with, so I was wondering if anybody has had any success in this kind of thing? Any ideas?

I suppose I just miss my best buddy back home and want to find a similar kind of friendship here if I can :)

Sorry, I have the same problem. Most people find friends through their other friends. I think you have to become a regular somewhere, so a job or volunteering somewhere seem to be the only options to me.

However finding friends through the vocational route can lead to the situation I'm in where people expect a professional level which can "do anything", and a personal level which operates as a "friend to all". Believe me, this can be a real head **** and can lead to all kinds of self paranoia and insecurities.

In my opinion keep relations at a personal level seperate and avoid any overly demanding expectations.

the problem with findings "geeks" for friends is that they're the same as you: they stay indoors playing games/surfing the internet. but, where a lot of them like to congregate to meet like minded people is this little website here: http://www.meetup.com/

hope that helps you.

You can find people worth befriending everywhere, yes, but not everywhere is fit for making friends, no?

You know that guy who has lots of friends? Make friends with him. Then, make friends with his friends. He won't get jealous because he's got lots of them.

softwarefreak said:
However finding friends through the vocational route can lead to the situation I'm in where people expect a professional level which can "do anything", and a personal level which operates as a "friend to all". Believe me, this can be a real head **** and can lead to all kinds of self paranoia and insecurities.

In my opinion keep relations at a personal level seperate and avoid any overly demanding expectations.

I'm not sure I understand your post because my English isn't first language but are you saying not to make friends in a organizational setting like volunteering?

I find that with all these volunteering places, most times, you do meet people, but it's hard to develop the friendships into a personal level. I'm interested to know more about the meaning of your post about 'a friend to all'.

Pheenix said:
You can find people worth befriending everywhere, yes, but not everywhere is fit for making friends, no?

Yes, but at this point, one has no friends whatsoever, beggars have no choice. Just try everything!

Thanks for all the input guys!
@Stride That's a very interesting link! It's not throwing anything up in my area, but it's definitely got me thinking. I'll keep an eye on that site and if all else fails, perhaps I could organise my own group!

JustJones said:
Thanks for all the input guys!
@Stride That's a very interesting link! It's not throwing anything up in my area, but it's definitely got me thinking. I'll keep an eye on that site and if all else fails, perhaps I could organise my own group!

Awesome! Let me know how you go and ask us for ideas okay.

JustJones said:
Hi, almost a year ago now my girlfriend got a job in another city so I decided to move away with her. The problem is that I've always found it hard to make friends, and although there are a couple of people at work that I think are great, I just don't consider them my kind of people if you know what I mean? Social events for them mainly consist of getting very drunk in pubs, and watching football etc, things I don't like to do very much. I'm a big geek really and would love to find other geeks to interact with but they're suprisingly rare to find in real life. Forums are cool, but I'd just love to have a friend or 2 to go play games and watch films with. My girlfriend is amazing but pigs will freeze over before she'll go on the xbox with me or watch anime.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to seek out people I would like to be friends with, so I was wondering if anybody has had any success in this kind of thing? Any ideas?

I suppose I just miss my best buddy back home and want to find a similar kind of friendship here if I can :)I can tell ya where not to look,,WEST, Texas! Really though, I too got tired of the Bar scene myself,,always trouble and always someone trying you on for size or ABSOLUTLY NO dam reason at all! I am not a geek though, the scars prove that. I found some pretty smart and intriuging people in PUBLIC Libraries ! I never got a date there, though one librarian asked me out,,she was married,,Nothing wrong with un happy people trying to be happy, but I had been there before many times and did not bite that one.

JustJones said:

I suppose I just miss my best buddy back home and want to find a similar kind of friendship here if I can :)

When games are played at a high rate example such as kicking the ball to high everyone awaits for it to return but that could the opposition that retrieves the ball. Like we could go to a nightcl;ub and drink orange juice and scream at the songs but again the words we forget from the lines suprise us because forget that if we danced to togetehr we might get lost on the dance floor. Mad Games. Savvy Geeks ... Yeah cool but like you mnetioned hard to find on the outside of the internet geek environment.

The best place to meet people is in the places where you want to meet them.

And it's also best to meet them in a place that relates to your interests, so there would be a fair chance that you already share something in common (e.g. a convention or concert).

Latest posts

Back