Anyone else feel like just moving and starting there life over in another place

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike510

Reaction score
I have recently graduated college, I haven't found a job yet, my friends have for the most part moved away, and my girlfriend who I was engaged to disappeared the moment she got a job. The only people I would really miss here is my parents, but I feel like if I don't move soon I am going to find a job here and feel commited to staying in this area the rest of my life. Not to mention I am still living with my parents, my mom kind of expects me to always live here and my dad has wanted me to have my own place for sometime now. I just don't want to look back on this time a couple years from now wondering what could of been if I took this oppertunity now.

Anyone ever felt like they wanted to start over some place new? Or has anyone actually done it?

If you believe there's an opportunity, take it. That's all I can really say on the matter. If you believe you can make a change for the better, why not take it?
Your mum sounds like she's okay with you living at home; and I'm sure your father would be cool with it provided he can see you're trying to change.

So try something new, try and take a chance. If it fails, just go back to your parents. That's what I did when I moved out.

My roommate would be able to relate to you a lot though, he was living at home with a family he always fought with, in an area that didn't really have any jobs for him, or any types of girls he liked...
So one day, and it was completely out of the blue; he just upped and left. He found an apartment and moved out, started a new life with a clean slate.
Things didn't go entirely according to plan, he ran into some hiccups... But he says he's never regretted doing it.

How exactly did he find an appartment when he got to the new place? Everything I see says that I need to already have a job in town if I want an appartment. I am planning on doing this in August possibly, if not then, then I would have to wait till April because of the weather.

Mike510 said:
How exactly did he find an appartment when he got to the new place? Everything I see says that I need to already have a job in town if I want an appartment. I am planning on doing this in August possibly, if not then, then I would have to wait till April because of the weather.

He had a job already. It wasn't in the same area as where he got the apartment, and he had to do some travelling - It was about an hour and a half to and from work each day; but it wasn't a problem for him because he felt it was necessary to change his life.

I've had thoughts more and more about moving away lately, however I just don't have the finances to do it. I don't feel like I can live with my Mum anymore though, but I may just go and stay with my Grandparents for a week just to get away as long as they are alright with it of course. I wish you the best of luck Mike. Sometimes you have just got to take a chance. Seize each opportunity if they are going to benefit you otherwise you may regret it later on in life. :)

Every single day...just have no clue where to start. Starting fresh can be expensive.

I was given some money through inheritance, lets just say it was more than a yearly salary my mom makes. I feel lucky I was given it that money, and I feel like there was a reason I was gifted that money and I think this is that reason. I been telling myself it was safe fail since I have yet to actually work yet, but I realize now it was ment for me to better my life and not a reason for me to act like I have an excuse to not work.

The planning for starting fresh is extreamly hard. If any of you are serious about a fresh start here is a few things I have been doing to try and get where I need to go.

1st - Pick a location in an area you would like
2nd - Research the area, check the crime data, the weather, interesting places to go.
3rd - Check the prices of different things, like homes, apartments, gas prices, local dinners and what they may charge for food. If it is cheaper than where you live thats good.
4th - Figure out how you will get from where you are to your destination.
5th - Go over your banking, make sure your credit is good, I figure it is likely best to have a debit or credit card instead of big sums of cash on you.
6th - Go to a job board like Monster or Snagajob and see what jobs there may be in that area and what type of experience they are looking for.
7th - Check locations of places you will need to know when arriving in town. If there is a local bank maybe you can set an account there, check to see where places to get food or clothes may be in regards to where you are staying. Also look for a public library you can go there during the day once you arrive and use the internet access to help you look for other things you may need when you are in town.
8th - Contact any bussiness you are going to deal with before hand to get and idea of what to expect. If you are planning on staying in a hotel call first make sure they have all the right accomidations and what the price of the rooms may be.
9th - Check apartment openings and what there requirements are. Most apartment owners will only rent to you if you have a job in the area (this is probably the scariest thing to me since I have yet to work).

Have you thought about traveling a little first? There are some good sites with couch surfing and farms that you can work at, etc. I know I have been thinking of traveling. It doesn't take a lot of money. If you traveled you would not have to commit to an area and you could gain some experience in other places until a place spoke to you to stay. Just a thought. I can suggest some tips if you get interested in travel.

Mike510 said:
I have recently graduated college, I haven't found a job yet, my friends have for the most part moved away, and my girlfriend who I was engaged to disappeared the moment she got a job. The only people I would really miss here is my parents, but I feel like if I don't move soon I am going to find a job here and feel commited to staying in this area the rest of my life. Not to mention I am still living with my parents, my mom kind of expects me to always live here and my dad has wanted me to have my own place for sometime now. I just don't want to look back on this time a couple years from now wondering what could of been if I took this oppertunity now.

Anyone ever felt like they wanted to start over some place new? Or has anyone actually done it?

*waves* Me! Me!

Very similarly, I'm just waiting for a chance to move away from where I am so I can be myself and live my life. I am stuck here for another year and then I can start making my own plans.

I think you should go for it.

xninjaguyx said:
Every single day...just have no clue where to start. Starting fresh can be expensive.

Indeed.... sighs.

Funny I've been having the same thought all weekend...

If i had the money to up and go i would be gone faster then anyone could say bye. That big bad evil, money is the only thing keeping me here.

If you have the chance to change it up Mike i say go for it and good luck!

*Sammy* said:
Funny I've been having the same thought all weekend...

If i had the money to up and go i would be gone faster then anyone could say bye. That big bad evil, money is the only thing keeping me here.

If you have the chance to change it up Mike i say go for it and good luck!

Thanks I want to do it in August once I am ready but the place I am going has hard winters and I don't want to mess up and be out on the streets there.

If there's genuinely nothing to keep you where you are then there shouldn't be a problem. I imagine it could be quite liberating. Your ex broke it off because she found a job elsewhere.. no words for that.

Mike510 said:
Thanks I want to do it in August once I am ready but the place I am going has hard winters and I don't want to mess up and be out on the streets there.

Always easier said then done so don't flame me: Make sure you have somewhere to live before you go? If you have the money to support you for a while surely you should be able to find somewhere even if only for a short time no?

@Sci-Fi - yeah i agree shall we set off for Mars?

This is definitely something I've been wanting to do lately. After I come back from Alaska this summer, I'll have plenty of cash and it would definitely be possible. If there's nothing chaining you down to that area, then I don't see why not. New place, new people, new life.

Mentality said:
This is definitely something I've been wanting to do lately. After I come back from Alaska this summer, I'll have plenty of cash and it would definitely be possible. If there's nothing chaining you down to that area, then I don't see why not. New place, new people, new life.

I envy the fact you've been to Alaska, I'd love to go there.

9006 said:
I envy the fact you've been to Alaska, I'd love to go there.

Its a beautiful place. Id enjoy it more though if I had time to explore a bit more rather than working 16 hours each day. -.-

Oh yes. Moving to abroad, I would love that. No more this same country and same culture. New life and adventures would be great. Just suitcase... And fly!

I really want to leave but I need to find someone looking for a roommate without a job history since no apartment would accept my rent even if I could give them the whole years rent.

Also my ID expires in late September I am trying to get renewed but I have to wait till its 60 days away to try and renew it which will put me almost to when I want to leave.[/align]

Latest posts

Back