Are siblings responsible for being good role models for other siblings?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roguewave

Reaction score
If both siblings are minors and close in age, is it the responsibility of the older one to be a good role model for the younger one, or is that the responsibility of the parent?

I ask this because recently my sister (only 2 years younger than me) has criticized me for being a poor role model for her as children. Frankly, I am enraged by this accusation considering:

A.) I don't believe it is the responsibility of siblings to parent each other...that is the responsibility of the parent(s)

B.) I was clearly struggling/sick and was in and out of institutions for nearly all of my teen years.

What do you think?

I think I ended up being a role model for my sisters. When they annoyed me I'd hit them, and then I'd get in honeysuckle for hitting them, which in turn would cause me to get hit by my mom, at which point she would tell me that violence isn't the answer and that I should just tell on them next time.

Then when I told on them, she would let them continue what they were doing and just say "well where do you think they learned that from?". Which would make me hit my sisters again because mom didn't seem to want to do her job disciplining them, so I felt like it was mine. Or at least I think that's what it was from my perspective as a child at the time.

So while I think I ended up as a (bad) role model to them growing up, I don't think it was ever really my responsibility because I still had no idea how to act myself. I could maybe see it if there was a large age gap by say 10 or so years, but 2 is pretty close.

Personally I think kids look up to people they are around more. Maybe a bad thing or good depends rele.

I don't have kids or ever intend to, but parents have to take responsibilty at all times. I would.

You aren't obligated to be anyone's role model. If you want to be one then be one. It's up to the other sibling whether or not they choose you as a role model or someone else.

Just be grateful that you aren't some superstar athlete like LeBron James or Kobe Bryant are. Their conduct has real big impact on young minds. If memory serves, Michael Jordan was fined big time for gambling years ago when he was active.

A man should have the right to do whatever he wishes on his own time, but not people like MJ. There are far too many young fans that want to do exactly what he does and says, and gambling is frowned upon by many, many people.

Yeah i guess growning up with sisters had an
Imoac on me.....

Thats pretty much explained why i grew ny
Hair down to my ass and wore mascara when
I was in HS.lmao

[video=youtube]

Charles Barkley's take on it.
[video=youtube]

I don't think siblings are responsible for that kind of thing. No one is. Only parents should be responsible for that.

Latest posts

Back