Can I get opinions?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHK

Reaction score
This isn't REALLY as issue... Sort of maybe? I didn't know where else to put it and I really have to ask a broader audience because it's bugging me after comments I got today.
What is your thought of the name Judas? Is that horrible?

It sort of has a bad implication because of what Judas did to Jesus in the bible. Basically synonymous with Traitor and 2nd in line with that association is Benedict Arnold.

That and he's the only person to commit suicide in the Bible after he got his reward.

It's your name isn't it.

Maybe you should shorten it to Jude. That way people would think of the Beatles instead of Judas Iscariot.

I like the name Judas. To pass judgment on it because of what one figure did doesn't make sense to me.

It's a nice name but there are the inevitable biblical comparisons to consider. How about something similar sounding, like Jude or Judah or something? :)

It makes me think of the band Judas Priest, who cares what a guy of the same name did in biblical times? As if that has any modern relevance.

I'd go with the Jude suggestion....far more positive associations...many people are not so enlightened as to not make negative biblical connections...but that aside personally I prefer Jude

SophiaGrace said:
It sort of has a bad implication because of what Judas did to Jesus in the bible. Basically synonymous with Traitor and 2nd in line with that association is Benedict Arnold.

That and he's the only person to commit suicide in the Bible after he got his reward.

It's your name isn't it.

Maybe you should shorten it to Jude. That way people would think of the Beatles instead of Judas Iscariot.

I always thought the poor guy got the short end of the stick. Did he really betray him, when it was God's will that Jesus be brought back up to in death anyway? He only did what was required.

My only problem with Jude is that I don't really like it. And I'm not sure which is worse - the Beatles or the Bible. lol

VanillaCreme said:
I like the name Judas. To pass judgment on it because of what one figure did doesn't make sense to me.

I thought so too. But people are funny.
It seems to be a love/hate thing.
Thanks everyone. :)

'Judas' is, in some places, a synonym for 'traitor'. 'He's a right judas' is the sort of thing you might here in the part of England I originally come from, and it is not a compliment. Jezebel is another biblical name with unfortunate associations - originally a scheming woman, but more often now a term for a women of easy virtue.

sothatwasmylife said:
I'd go with the Jude suggestion....far more positive associations...many people are not so enlightened as to not make negative biblical connections...but that aside personally I prefer Jude

I'd go with Judas because who gives a f*** about what other people think... At least the name has a history behind it. And people always want to say he turned on Jesus, yet a slim majority will even say that Jesus knew Judas was going to turn.

That being said, I do like Jude as well. Not saying anything bad about that name either.

Misunderstood? Hmm... according to the Bible Jesus referred to Judas the as "son of perdition", saying it was better for him not to have existed.
The name is often used in a pejorative sense, synonymous with "traitor".

I don't know why anyone would want to call their son that, tbh, it seems unnecessary.

If you're religious, I guess it's not wise. I'm not, so I like the name and wouldn't care if others thought of the religious meaning.
Consider your beliefs, or lack thereof, first I suppose.

ardour said:
Misunderstood? Hmm... according the Bible Jesus referred to Judas the "son of perdition", saying it was better for him not to have existed.

I don't know why anyone would want to call their son that, tbh, it seems unnecessary.

According to... Meaning, we don't know for sure.

I am reminded more and more of Judas Priest now. Think I'm going on a listening spree pretty soon.

ardour said:
Misunderstood? Hmm... according to the Bible Jesus referred to Judas the as "son of perdition", saying it was better for him not to have existed.

Me ******* either. Think I could get an answer? fresia.

Callum. It's a Gaelic name which I have always thought to be unusual, but rather nice.

johnny196775Again said:
it seems noone wants to call their child adolf. I wonder why.

I wouldn't.... But I don't think Iscariot was as much of a dick as Hitler was.

I do know someone with two little dogs named White Trash and *mod edit: Word not allow under any circumstances*. The little black one is a honeysuckle and always running away so he is always "Get back here, *mod edit: Word not allow under any circumstances*!"
Good times lol

Latest posts

Back