College.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandas123

Reaction score
I have a few friends and when we all decided to go to college (community college) we all somehow decided we were gonna major on the same thing, heh. So we take a lot of classes together. We had also decided though that we were all going to transfer to a 4 year university. Anyway, recently for whatever reason they're all saying they're not going to transfer anymore, so they're just gonna get their associates and that's it. This kinda bothers me because I had a plan or vision that we were all going to transfer to the same university and get our bachelors together. Now that they have changed their minds though, im starting to rethink my plans and losing motivation to transfer! I've never been good at making friends, and now without them im having thoughts that im going to feel really lonely if i do end up transferring while they go on with their different paths in their life. I guess I just want some advice. I know that finding a job is hard enough and a Bachelors degree would really help me. Having them beside me was really motivating me to do just that too, but now they've all changed their minds and yeaaaah. Idk what to do now.

Don't let the thought of your friends drifting away keep you from transferring. Here's why...
It will likely happen ANYWAY. It often does. It's only two more years.
People often start families, move to new places, etc. and old friendships are left behind for new ones.
Invest in YOURSELF and keep in touch with your friends as best you can. Good luck.

Like Eve said. College is time for YOU!

I struggled too. I went to my hometown college to be near my friends, but that wasn't what I needed to do. So I moved, and did better. And then, I made new friends at the new college. And then, my new college friends wanted to focus on other subjects, it was okay. So what I to go to some classes by myself, this was my time to better myself.

Keep on going! You can do it! And you'll be glad you did.

Education and life goals is about what YOU want. It sounds you had your mind set on going to a university and getting your bachelors. Don't let the fact that you're friends aren't going to be there stop you from finish your educational goals. In the end you're right btw. Getting a job is tough. Depending on your field of interest, a bachelor's is the bare minimum for a lot of the higher paying ones. They won't even consider you without on.

I think you have a great opportunity ahead of you to finally be on your own. To make new friends. To figure out what YOU want to really do. If you study business there's something called group think. It's when you get too many like minded individuals in a group. All of a sudden everyone starts agreeing with each other, which sounds good, but stifles creativity and produces less optimal results. You become more likely to go with the crowd. It sounds like exactly what's going on with your friends.

I'll also say, for many people, college is the easiest place to make new friends. Everyone around you is about the same age with the same main objective which is school. You should take advantage of it.

Thanks for the replies some thus far, some good advice. Another thing that's holding me back is how many more classes I still will need to take to transfer lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid. I know I'll pass every single one cause I'm pretty smart and hardworking when I put my mind into it, and I find these classes interesting as well, but it's just that I won't be done with school till around 4 or 5 more years at least. I don't know if I like the sound of that haha. I guess it really shouldn't bother me if my friends decide not to transfer though because this will be an opportunity for me to meet new people, instead of sitting next to the same group of friends in almost every class. Hmmm I have some stuff to think about definitely!

Latest posts

Back