Confused *spoilers child abuse mentioned*

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it is frightening that you still remember it so clearly after all these years. I think that demonstrates how great a trauma it was (as if that needed demonstrating). I think you are going about things the right way, for what my views are worth.

Pity changing your life isn't as easy as chaging your playlist. If you could just put on 'Dancing Queen' and everything would be ok!

Fraid I gotta go now mate. Hold on in there.

Ioann said:
And it is frightening that you still remember it so clearly after all these years. I think that demonstrates how great a trauma it was (as if that needed demonstrating). I think you are going about things the right way, for what my views are worth.

Pity changing your life isn't as easy as chaging your playlist. If you could just put on 'Dancing Queen' and everything would be ok!

Fraid I gotta go now mate. Hold on in there.

Everything about that day is as vivid as though it were yesterday. It stays clear in my mind because I knew I was not loved. And I am still not loved. And it is incredibly highly unlikely I ever will be loved. So I think maybey I keep a hold of those memories because I am the only one who could ever give that boy a hug. And I can't go back in time and hug him, so thats a pardox.

I keep his pain and lonlyness alive so I can bare it for him for the rest of my life.

I am the only person who ever knew, or ever cared how lonly and scared that boy was. When that boy heard certain songs and lyrics, he felt understood, for a while.

By the way I know what Radioheads "street spirit" is about. Because I felt it. It is about dissociation "fade out" - fading out from reality, not feeling part of it. Feeling sad. Nothing matters, no one wants you. You walk around and this stuff you are not part of seems "noramal" and "calm" but you feel tortured and alone and despair.

And the award for most painful song of the evening goes to:

It's quite common to not be aware that something is abuse for months, years or even decades. Even if you know what abuse is, you're often not going to realise that what happened to YOU is abuse. It's natural to automatically think that abuse is something that happens to others, and that what happens to you is just the norm even if frustrating or depressing. When you realise it, it's a huge shock but there's sometimes relief that others understand what you've been through and what it's like for you.

You do seem like you're still figuring out what really happened and how what you've long perceived as being a rentboy was actually grooming, child abuse and rape. I know you're getting support for alcohol, but have you tried getting support from these (national) survivor organisations? They are going to be trained in helping you figure out what really happened to you.

They know that if you contact them you're likely to have a lot of problems piled up as a result of the abuse, and they might be able to listen, help you cope with it and understand it and help you to kickstart your plan of action.

Being here and talking to us is great, but they're going to be a lot more qualified than us - they might be able to give you that extra additional push and help that you need to overcome the alcoholism.

The one I linked gives you just about every option you could want: visiting you at your home or elsewhere, phone, requesting a callback and e-mail, because everyone wants to talk about it in different ways.

Of all the different supports you could seek out for each problem that you have, you should just find a support organisation for the source of your problems: childhood sexual abuse. If you need additional support groups for your other problems, you'll know when you've talked to the survivor organisation.

cumulus.james said:
I think people don't understand what it is like to feel so worthless that you hardly care about yourself or what happens to you. I am well aware of what I should do to change my life for the better, but I don't care about myself and no one else does. So it's like whats the point? Something might make me feel better but I don't care about me so why bother?

A lot of people feel exactly the same about themselves, so they understand. Those not going through it probably won't understand it though, and the chances are, most of the people you've ever talked to aren't going through that.

I think it's hard to care about yourself, if you don't feel that someone cares about you. Just remember that we do. ;) We wouldn't be writing 9 pages worth of replies if we didn't. :)

cumulus.james said:
This is where I get really confused. What happened when I was 14 - the first time with anal sex really can't be described as anything other than a voilent rape. But I did not know that at the time. I thought that was how gay sex should be. I then spent many years seeking out painful and dangerous sex. I have a book which says something on it:

The Connection Between Arousal and Childhood Abuse

"It may seem impossible that sexual or physical abuse could be part of a persons arousal template, but it can and does happen. If as a child, for example, you felt both fear and pleasure during an act of sexual abuse, often you will have similar feelings as an adult - to the point of actually putting yourself in an abusive situation. In a sense, trauma becomes connected, even fused, to the arousal template. If you were abused as a child, then trauma, though painful, can become comforting too. Repeating the familliar trauma , you experiance a complex biological reaction that includes a neurochemical component that is biologically the sam as when you were a child."

So a painful rape mapped itself onto my arousal template and I was compelled to repeat the experience? It does my head in.

I was raped so I like being raped????? WOT!

If you experience something that gives you sexual arousal as a child, you're going to crave it in the future when you think about sex. I wasn't abused, but I did experience something abnormal that gave me sexual arousal when I was young, which made me crave it as an adult. So I think this is true.

You crave the experience of what happened to you because as warped, horrific and traumatic as it was, it also greatly aroused you.

It's normal to be able to crave sexual activities, even painful ones, as long as they arouse.

I don't know how people in your situation usually overcome that, so I can't advise. It'd make most sense to train yourself not to think of it or include it in your sexual expectations or fantasies (or as the book put it, your arousal template), but I don't know how that's usually achieved. This is why you need the support of a survivor organisation because this will most likely be a common result of childhood sexual abuse.

cumulus.james said:
No one forced me. I'm just wrong.

Nobody forced you. That's pedophiles' strategy. By grooming children to want it, they don't have to bother forcing them. That grooming itself is apart of the crime. It's of course hard for you to accept that what you felt was a conscious decision of your own was actually a groomed decision.

You entered a toilet on a regular basis, and they knew very well that at 3-5pm there were going to be kids coming home from school, so they waited around in there trying to tempt vulnerable kids (such as you) over time and prey on your vulnerability, which is grooming. They knew that what they were doing was a crime, because as you said, they even asked your age. Going back again and again after the first experience of sexual activity may have been a conscious decision, but you couldn't have made any other decision - once you've had it happen once, you're going to do it again whether because of feeling low and wanting the sexual stimulation, because of escapism or because it's become apart of your arousal template.

You wouldn't have made the decision to go back if they hadn't carried out the activities they did in the first place (when they knew you were underage). You wouldn't have had this be added to your arousal template either, so it wouldn't have made you desire it and go back for it. That's enough for it to be their fault and not yours.

cumulus.james said:
I know what I need to do, I need to stop drinking, start going to the gym again, get back to my university course and start going back into the world (I barely leave my flat these days). But I just cant seem to do any of it. Every day I drink I think to myself 'this is the last day' then when I do it again I think 'I'll just do it this one more time, just to say goodbye to it'. But I can't seem to get out of that pattern.

Saying 'I'll just do it this one more time, just to say goodbye to it' is a trap and the only way to break it is to say 'no' instead. I remember going through that trap once and it took me a month before I was finally able to say 'no' and actually tough it out (it wasn't with alcohol though).

A strategy that often works well for addictions is to tell your mind that you'll consume it in 4 hours, then when 4 hours is up, repeat and delay it by a further 4 hours.

cumulus.james said:
So I think maybey I keep a hold of those memories because I am the only one who could ever give that boy a hug. And I can't go back in time and hug him, so thats a pardox.

That makes sense. You can be hugged in the future though.

I think Therapon's reply above says it all, to be honest.

And as he says, if we didn't care we wouldn't have written nine pages of replies. I don't know if anything I write is helpful, and worry that it may be counterproductive, but write just to try and show that I do care.

Therapon said:
It's quite common to not be aware that something is abuse for months, years or even decades. Even if you know what abuse is, you're often not going to realise that what happened to YOU is abuse. It's natural to automatically think that abuse is something that happens to others, and that what happens to you is just the norm even if frustrating or depressing. When you realise it, it's a huge shock but there's sometimes relief that others understand what you've been through and what it's like for you.

You do seem like you're still figuring out what really happened and how what you've long perceived as being a rentboy was actually grooming, child abuse and rape. I know you're getting support for alcohol, but have you tried getting support from these (national) survivor organisations? They are going to be trained in helping you figure out what really happened to you.

They know that if you contact them you're likely to have a lot of problems piled up as a result of the abuse, and they might be able to listen, help you cope with it and understand it and help you to kickstart your plan of action.

Being here and talking to us is great, but they're going to be a lot more qualified than us - they might be able to give you that extra additional push and help that you need to overcome the alcoholism.

The one I linked gives you just about every option you could want: visiting you at your home or elsewhere, phone, requesting a callback and e-mail, because everyone wants to talk about it in different ways.

Of all the different supports you could seek out for each problem that you have, you should just find a support organisation for the source of your problems: childhood sexual abuse. If you need additional support groups for your other problems, you'll know when you've talked to the survivor organisation.

cumulus.james said:
I think people don't understand what it is like to feel so worthless that you hardly care about yourself or what happens to you. I am well aware of what I should do to change my life for the better, but I don't care about myself and no one else does. So it's like whats the point? Something might make me feel better but I don't care about me so why bother?

A lot of people feel exactly the same about themselves, so they understand. Those not going through it probably won't understand it though, and the chances are, most of the people you've ever talked to aren't going through that.

I think it's hard to care about yourself, if you don't feel that someone cares about you. Just remember that we do. ;) We wouldn't be writing 9 pages worth of replies if we didn't. :)

cumulus.james said:
This is where I get really confused. What happened when I was 14 - the first time with anal sex really can't be described as anything other than a voilent rape. But I did not know that at the time. I thought that was how gay sex should be. I then spent many years seeking out painful and dangerous sex. I have a book which says something on it:

The Connection Between Arousal and Childhood Abuse

"It may seem impossible that sexual or physical abuse could be part of a persons arousal template, but it can and does happen. If as a child, for example, you felt both fear and pleasure during an act of sexual abuse, often you will have similar feelings as an adult - to the point of actually putting yourself in an abusive situation. In a sense, trauma becomes connected, even fused, to the arousal template. If you were abused as a child, then trauma, though painful, can become comforting too. Repeating the familliar trauma , you experiance a complex biological reaction that includes a neurochemical component that is biologically the sam as when you were a child."

So a painful rape mapped itself onto my arousal template and I was compelled to repeat the experience? It does my head in.

I was raped so I like being raped????? WOT!

If you experience something that gives you sexual arousal as a child, you're going to crave it in the future when you think about sex. I wasn't abused, but I did experience something abnormal that gave me sexual arousal when I was young, which made me crave it as an adult. So I think this is true.

You crave the experience of what happened to you because as warped, horrific and traumatic as it was, it also greatly aroused you.

It's normal to be able to crave sexual activities, even painful ones, as long as they arouse.

I don't know how people in your situation usually overcome that, so I can't advise. It'd make most sense to train yourself not to think of it or include it in your sexual expectations or fantasies (or as the book put it, your arousal template), but I don't know how that's usually achieved. This is why you need the support of a survivor organisation because this will most likely be a common result of childhood sexual abuse.

cumulus.james said:
No one forced me. I'm just wrong.

Nobody forced you. That's pedophiles' strategy. By grooming children to want it, they don't have to bother forcing them. That grooming itself is apart of the crime. It's of course hard for you to accept that what you felt was a conscious decision of your own was actually a groomed decision.

You entered a toilet on a regular basis, and they knew very well that at 3-5pm there were going to be kids coming home from school, so they waited around in there trying to tempt vulnerable kids (such as you) over time and prey on your vulnerability, which is grooming. They knew that what they were doing was a crime, because as you said, they even asked your age. Going back again and again after the first experience of sexual activity may have been a conscious decision, but you couldn't have made any other decision - once you've had it happen once, you're going to do it again whether because of feeling low and wanting the sexual stimulation, because of escapism or because it's become apart of your arousal template.

You wouldn't have made the decision to go back if they hadn't carried out the activities they did in the first place (when they knew you were underage). You wouldn't have had this be added to your arousal template either, so it wouldn't have made you desire it and go back for it. That's enough for it to be their fault and not yours.

cumulus.james said:
I know what I need to do, I need to stop drinking, start going to the gym again, get back to my university course and start going back into the world (I barely leave my flat these days). But I just cant seem to do any of it. Every day I drink I think to myself 'this is the last day' then when I do it again I think 'I'll just do it this one more time, just to say goodbye to it'. But I can't seem to get out of that pattern.

Saying 'I'll just do it this one more time, just to say goodbye to it' is a trap and the only way to break it is to say 'no' instead. I remember going through that trap once and it took me a month before I was finally able to say 'no' and actually tough it out (it wasn't with alcohol though).

A strategy that often works well for addictions is to tell your mind that you'll consume it in 4 hours, then when 4 hours is up, repeat and delay it by a further 4 hours.

cumulus.james said:
So I think maybey I keep a hold of those memories because I am the only one who could ever give that boy a hug. And I can't go back in time and hug him, so thats a pardox.

That makes sense. You can be hugged in the future though.

Hi Therapon, thanks a lot for the reply. It makes a lot of sence and almost exactly mirrored what NAPAC (national association for people abused in childhood) said.

Something that is left out though, and for which society should hold its head in shame, is the role of the rampant homophobia. In those days there was no information and no one you could talk to. All you heard about gay is that it's wrong and dirty and disgusting so I think many boys (I wasn't the only one, I saw others) couldent find any way to 'learn' about all this confusion of being different than to end up doing stuff like that.

Many of the gay guys I got to know who grew up in the 90's cliamed the were abused or raped, with the first guy I dated saying "I was abused from the age of 7 and I got to like it" and shrugging it off. Looking back on that guy, he grew up without a father, and he tended to go with significatly older men (he was 19 when I first knew him). He was involved in a lot of crime and drugs and that. He robbed me. So only now can I see that he was damaged, and he never knew how or why he was damaged.

Thats a real problem, if you are gay and you were abused then it is really hard to seperate that out from your sexuality. Also being men we don't want to be victims. So shrugging it off or finding distructive ways to cope is how we go. But as I am learning now the damage creeps and infects every area of your life by stealth.

It was only by reading my social services reports that I was able to "zoom out" and see what really went on.

Can't get my childhood back though. And thats what I am struggling with now, how to let that go. I want to say f*** it and move on, but the brain wont let me.

Ioann said:
I think Therapon's reply above says it all, to be honest.

And as he says, if we didn't care we wouldn't have written nine pages of replies. I don't know if anything I write is helpful, and worry that it may be counterproductive, but write just to try and show that I do care.

Every reply is helpful. Just to have someone listen, and to have it off your chest a bit.

I just re-read my original post. I did not know how graphic I was in that, so I am really sorry for that. I guess it was done in a sort of stream-of-conciousness way.

But I felt like I sound like a child in that post. And I think that is a lot of the problem. There is a hurt little boy inside me who is screaming to get out. I don't really know how to excorsize him from me. I think I am realising that I am physically and mentally a 34 yr old man, but emotionally still a little boy.

I still cry a lot to myself and feel hurt by the slightest thing as a little boy would, but I don't know how to be a man. And I am not sure I want to be a man, given all the nasty things men do.

Don't worry about the graphic nature of your posting. You needed to say it. That's fine. And I think it does other people good to realise just how shocking child abuse like that is.

I agree with you about the difficulty of growing up gay in a heteronormative environment. You now you are different, but society just wants you to be treated like a freak, or deny who you are. I really know where you are coming from with that one.

Ioann said:
Don't worry about the graphic nature of your posting. You needed to say it. That's fine. And I think it does other people good to realise just how shocking child abuse like that is.

I agree with you about the difficulty of growing up gay in a heteronormative environment. You now you are different, but society just wants you to be treated like a freak, or deny who you are. I really know where you are coming from with that one.

Thing is, as I look back on my life all of my personality had to be supressed and warped. I took to wearing skirts when I was 10/11, I didn't know what that was about or meant, it was just a very embarresssing joke in the family. When I was 16 I was into this band Placebo and the singer wore all black eyliner and nailvarnish and I wanted to do that and be like that, but I dare not because of the homophobia and hypermasculinity. So I wound up desperatly trying to be 'blokey' and like a man when I was probably very effemenate. Even now I present this extremely blokey front - to the point that no one can ever guess I am gay. It's not that I want to be some camp queen or trannie or anything, but I would like to gender-bend just a little. Like metallic eyeshadow with steel toacapped boots.

But it's too late for all that. I missed out on being me. Expressing myself.

Yeah, whatever happened to Placebo? On was gay, one bi and one straight - what a combination. I used to dress in skirts too. It worried my parents quite a bit, but they thought it was just a phase I was going through.

Ioann said:
Yeah, whatever happened to Placebo? On was gay, one bi and one straight - what a combination. I used to dress in skirts too. It worried my parents quite a bit, but they thought it was just a phase I was going through.

Placebo are still goood. But I cant listen to them anymore because a hell of a lot of bade memories are associated with that first album. It's like being stabbed through the heart when I hear them.

cumulus.james said:
Ioann said:

Placebo are still goood. But I cant listen to them anymore because a hell of a lot of bade memories are associated with that first album. It's like being stabbed through the heart when I hear them.

Maybe you should go back to listening to the Bangles!

Ioann said:
cumulus.james said:
Ioann said:

Maybe you should go back to listening to the Bangles!

Actually after I started getting involved in this I kinda went beyond noraml teenage moodswings into deep depression. So I took to listening to stuff like Depech Mode who had some really, really dark lyrics, not only depressing but also contained elements of sin, devient sex/perverson mixed in with religeous imigary. I wrote a really dark poem about death and put it in to a competition at school and won. The teacher was baffled by how dark it was.

Check this out - my favorite song throughout my teenage years

Strange. I had always bracketed Depeche Mode with the 'new romantic' stuff. Not sure why. Clearly not if that song is anything to go by. It is not exactly designed to lift your spirits, is it? But then I suppose that was the point.

Ioann said:
Strange. I had always bracketed Depeche Mode with the 'new romantic' stuff. Not sure why. Clearly not if that song is anything to go by. It is not exactly designed to lift your spirits, is it? But then I suppose that was the point.

They were originally new romatic, but the original chirpy songwriter left and a wierd arch-miserablist took his place and penned what I call 'WristSlit Anthems'.

That would explain it. The closest I got to miserablist bands was having a good laugh at the Smiths. I come from Liverpool originally, and we like a heavy dose of irony with everything! Thus, I couldn't see that 'I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now. I was looking for a job and I found a job, and heaven knows I'm miserable now' wasn't meant as a sort of joke!

Ioann said:
That would explain it. The closest I got to miserablist bands was having a good laugh at the Smiths. I come from Liverpool originally, and we like a heavy dose of irony with everything! Thus, I couldn't see that 'I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now. I was looking for a job and I found a job, and heaven knows I'm miserable now' wasn't meant as a sort of joke!

It makes perfect sense to me as a person suffering from depression. You're unhappy no matter what, but some things make you more unhappy than others.

[youtube]n-cD4oLk_D0[/youtube]

cumulus.james said:
Oh that guy from Suede - how I fancied him.

Brett Anderson - a sort of poor man's Morrissey. I liked the band, but he always looked a bit 'angular' to me, if that makes any sense.

cumulus.james said:
I was 16 what did I know. he was a bloody sight better than what I had been getting.

Not criticising your taste in men. Didn't he say that he was a bisexual who had never had a gay experience, or something?

Latest posts

Back