Do guys gravitate towards the prettiest girl in a group?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regumika said:
I have always known this but just recently put the two together. The same person will look better if they are in a relationship than when they are single. I wouldn't say the only reasons they "try to impress" are the ones you listed. Confident people also dress well (see previous point about people in relationships). Perhaps that's what they themselves think is pretty and attractive. It doesn't always have to be insecurity or obsession.

While what you say it completely true that it is not always something like insecurity or obsession and could just be what they think looks good, I believe that insecurity is quite evident in a lot of very "pretty" women. There are multiple reasons why but two reasons I think are because of media and society in general.

Looks are probably brought up a lot more in life by people if you are a very good looking person and situations can arise just because of the fact. The majority of people in this world have a very warped self image though and are always trying to compare their look to the stereotype of society. The problem is that the stereotype is created by media and we are bombarded with beautiful women everywhere in the media, so even a good looking person can think they are ugly in comparison and it can make them feel insecure. In reality though, said person who thinks she is ugly could be actually considered very beautiful. :)

edamame721 said:
I've read some replies here and some people say "pretty" is subjective. I agree but at the same time I think you have to acknowledge there are standard ideals. The whole beauty industry is geared toward making women feel insecure so they will buy their products.

If you think people gravitate only towards who they think is individually attractive, cool. But if a group of people singles out one person then I don't think that's all there is to it.

I don't think any one person can speak for their entire gender, but there will always be majority and minority.

But I have seen this happen personally, she was a very pretty girl and everyone always wanted to talk to her or get her involved at least. I think it's more of an impression to the girl telling her how social and interested they are, IMO doing this automatically without much thought about weather the's the girl likes that kinda thing.

ShybutHi said:
Speaking generally, both genders are terrible for this and I think a lot of people do it subconsciously. In the end it really does depend on the person though. I treat everyone as an equal if I don't know them and never ever gravitate towards someone because they are pretty, it is all about personality and mannerism for me.

Great post.

edamame721 said:
This just happened to me yesterday, but I was chatting with friends and strangers in a group and found that most of the guys directed their talk towards the prettiest girl in the group. I don't know if this is a subconscious thing, but I've seen this happening since my teens, so I'd like your thoughts on this.

Pretty is a perception that differs between each and everyone of us. My perception of pretty or beautiful is different from yours. This behavior is nothing different from any other behavior that can be seen within the animal kingdom. Males compete with each other to win the favor of the lone female. This type of behavior is for one thing...sex.

Latest posts

Back