Do people try to make you feel bad bc you aren't working?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently not working due to mental and physical illness but it's a secret. My family thinks I'm being lazy and I fear my boyfriends friends think I'm using him. I told my therapist that I felt guilty that he was paying for everything and she said "has no one ever taken care of you before?" and was like, no and she said "Is there something wrong with him taking care of you if he wants to?" and I said, I guess not and she said "wouldn't you do the same for him?" and I said of course. After considering different time periods, cultures, philosophies and religions, I realized both members of a household in a relationship being employed is one life style choice and a popular one but not the only one. It sucks to deal with other peoples opinions and comments though.

Unfortunately people are gonna be judgmental no matter what you do. Employed or unemployed. I work as a janitor and make really good money, but half the people I met who ask me about my job look at me like I'm a loser or pitiful after I tell them what I do.

Or they'll be like "You're so smart why don't you do something else?"

I mean there are some jobs that people look down on more than being totally unemployed. You'll get more respect saying, "I have no job" than you will telling somebody you work at McDonald's.

Lot of people will make judgement based of ignorance in America, especially with religion

When I was jobless, no one asked because no one really cared.. But it's so hard to find a job nowadays! You can send hundreds of applications and all you hear is ''NO''. Only hearing those negative answers were capable to bring me down. :/

Sometimes people use religion as an excuse to justify what they want to think or do.

It deflects some of the blame of the criticism. ie "Don't get angry at me for saying you should work, it's God that is saying it."

Not yet, thank goodness, those that know I am not working are my support system.

actually I work more when I am unemployed than when I have a job, so no one can say anything

If you are responded negatively because you don't have a job, the reason is that they also don't want to get problematic financially. You might ask help from them financially. And they limit the activities of spending and hanging out when they are with you. They are guilty that they cannot help you, financially, or to offer you a job. Their action urge you to look for a work. Now regarding your work, you must earnestly look for a job. be skillful so that they will accept you. Have the best attitudes. Show that you are courteous and responsive when you are being interviewed. be responsible so that they can imply that when you are accepted as their worker you will also be responsible on your work for the company.

*promotion removed*

Latest posts

Back