Do you believe in God?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Badjedidude said:
Sanal said:
I worship FSM :O

OMG a fellow believer! ^_^ The church is certainly growing, isn't it? :p

----Steve

I no longer consume spaghetti, for it is scared to him... All glory to the FSM. 0_0

SophiaGrace said:
it kind of makes me sad though in a way...

because I wanted God to be real and make me magically happier....

If you faith was based on the idea that believing in God would make you a happier person, then it was doomed to fail from the start.

Are you a happier person now with your new beliefs?

Coverage said:
SophiaGrace said:
it kind of makes me sad though in a way...

because I wanted God to be real and make me magically happier....

If you faith was based on the idea that believing in God would make you a happier person, then it was doomed to fail from the start.

Are you a happier person now with your new beliefs?

Well I think I thought I'd be happier knowing that everything happened for a reason (under God's directives) and wasnt just this big huge cosmic mathematical happening. (our existence)

Now I believe that the Universe just IS and doesnt need it's existence or it's complex structure explained with the concept of God.

Am I happier knowing this? no. I wanted God to be real to be able to tell myself "everything happens for a reason even if I dont understand it." and "God wouldnt give me this unless he knew I could handle it."

Made me feel like my life was worth more. Now its like...

"ok there's this thing called life....and on either end of this thing called life is blackness and nonexistence. Suddenly life seems stupid and nonsensical. Is this a practical joke?"

Basically what I think happy atheists do is keep themselves so busy in the routines of life that they dont have to think about the aformentioned. I think atheists avoid the truth too but in a different way...

As far as what religious texts say, I dun believe in the bible or what they say god is. If god exists as something else then I really dunno what god is therefore I can't say I do, but I'm not gonna say God doesn't exist cos I dunno that. I'm agnostic so...yah.

SophiaGrace said:
"ok there's this thing called life....and on either end of this thing called life is blackness and nonexistence. Suddenly life seems stupid and nonsensical. Is this a practical joke?"

That's not necessarily true. The absence of a God does not automatically mean the absence of an afterlife. It's possible that humans have spirits that continue on after death...that's not religious at all, it's SCIENTIFIC. Scientists will tell you that we only understand about 5% (or less) of the matter in this universe...the other 95% is completely a mystery, and is commonly referred to as "Dark Matter." It's entirely possible that a human soul is a spark of Dark Matter energy that continues on long after the physical body quits. *shrug*

Are ghosts just figments of people's imaginations? Or is it possible that ghosts are actually TRULY dead people...leftover energy from long-dead bodies, for some reason still existing on the earth instead of passing on? Lol Sounds silly, but think of it in a scientific context and it can start to make sense.

So my point is this: Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean that there isn't hope. Hey, anyway, in about 100 years (or less), we'll probably have life-lengthening procedures that allow us to live for centuries! So just live as long as you can...and I think you'll be alright either way. :)

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
SophiaGrace said:

That's not necessarily true. The absence of a God does not automatically mean the absence of an afterlife. It's possible that humans have spirits that continue on after death...that's not religious at all, it's SCIENTIFIC. Scientists will tell you that we only understand about 5% (or less) of the matter in this universe...the other 95% is completely a mystery, and is commonly referred to as "Dark Matter." It's entirely possible that a human soul is a spark of Dark Matter energy that continues on long after the physical body quits. *shrug*

Are ghosts just figments of people's imaginations? Or is it possible that ghosts are actually TRULY dead people...leftover energy from long-dead bodies, for some reason still existing on the earth instead of passing on? Lol Sounds silly, but think of it in a scientific context and it can start to make sense.

So my point is this: Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean that there isn't hope. Hey, anyway, in about 100 years (or less), we'll probably have life-lengthening procedures that allow us to live for centuries! So just live as long as you can...and I think you'll be alright either way. :)

----Steve

What is the definition of Death?

The end of life.

Its kind of like asking what happens after a movie ends? Well...nothing...

It just ends :p

I'm watching a lecture on whether or not we survive after death by a yale professor right at this second. Join me?

http://academicearth.org/lectures/dualism-physicalism

Heh yeah I've been watching those vids. :D They're pretty interesting.

Well, you gotta define what Life is also. Does Life end when the body ceases functioning? Or could it be that our consciousness moves on or alters to another mode of existence? Does that mean we haven't died or that we are still alive?

That's what I was trying to say in my post. :)

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
Heh yeah I've been watching those vids. :D They're pretty interesting.

Well, you gotta define what Life is also. Does Life end when the body ceases functioning? Or could it be that our consciousness moves on or alters to another mode of existence? Does that mean we haven't died or that we are still alive?

That's what I was trying to say in my post. :)

----Steve

In my Human Biology class my teacher said the cell is the smallest lifeform.

I asked her what the requirements were to consider something alive...

and she said reproducing....that its made of cells....

The textbook said our bodies are made up of four main molecules and their subunits; Lipids, carbohydrates, Nucleotides and Protein (and possibly another sort of molecule that is only found in plants....Chloroplast)

But I guess we're getting into what the PHYSICAL definition is :p

By life i think you mean the Mind aka the concept of the soul...

the lecturer brought up an interesting analogy..."what if our bodies were like houses? You could destroy my house but I (the soul, the inhabitant) would still be alive."

But what if when you destroy the union of the pair (body & mind) they both stop existing..?

and if if what we think of as the mind...which are well partially biologically made (because hey mental illnesses like schizophrenia can be passed down genetically)

I wonder what the nature of mental illnesses are....

Are they a part of our soul too? But arent they biologically explainable by looking at the brain?

If mental illnesses are biologically explainable then does that mean that our minds are totally confined to the very physical brain?

I'm sorry if I am rambling! I tend to do this when I try to argue a point...i go all over the place :(

Haha you're not rambling...it's all very interesting stuff, but it takes a lot of thinking to get through it all! :p That's why philosophers never get anything done! They just sit around and think all day! Honestly, I don't think that I'll ever really know the answer to it all until I am dead...so I don't worry about it too much.

I think it's possible that the soul is "perfect" by itself and that it's held back by the "physical problems" of the biological brain...but then again, it could be that some people's souls are just naturally evil or diseased. I have no idea. :p

I just don't think that losing faith in God means that you're just going to cease to exist one day. Lots of things are possible; who knows?

----Steve

They just are! If the universe can congeal out of scattered stellar debris, then anything is possible! :D I think...

o_0 right? Right, Sophia? Right??? *pleads*

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
They just are! If the universe can congeal out of scattered stellar debris, then anything is possible! :D I think...

o_0 right? Right, Sophia? Right??? *pleads*

----Steve

LMAO!!!

I'm going to go watch a movie and give you a break :p

Badjedidude said:

It was because of natural rules that it happened, so by that logic only things that follow these rules can happen and therefore not anything is possible.

SophiaGrace said:

Basically what I think happy atheists do is keep themselves so busy in the routines of life that they don't have to think about the aforementioned. I think atheists avoid the truth too but in a different way...

That's how I felt at first, but as you think about it more the fact that there is no afterlife makes this life that much more special

Life isn't stupid and nonsensical as much as its the most amazing and exciting event that's ever occurred in the universe, and your part of it, not only that but also your one of the most complex forms of life, capable of self awareness, and that to me makes life the most interesting thing there is

SophiaGrace said:
I'm going to go watch a movie and give you a break

I am here to serve. o_o

Hah I think I might go dig my car out of the snow and head to the store. :p

NeverMore: Any rule can be bent. I say anything is possible. :D

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
Any rule can be bent. I say anything is possible. :D

----Steve

You mean the laws of physics?

Well they havent been proven wrong yet. So I'm going to go by them until proven otherwize :p

Except that those LAWS can be bent, and some astrophysicists and mathematicians are beginning to question if they are laws at all...or more like guidelines. Look at how a black hole warps space and time. Is that a bending of known laws to accomodate unknown laws? I think so.

----Steve

After you die, you will find yourself tangled in a noodly appendage, realizing you were one of those million spaghetti hands FSM has.

Smallest form of life isn't cell. It's Spaghetti. Big time people realize that.

You will all be reincarnated in his beer valley. So let's just worship FSM and let's all say R-Amen

I don't think God are real, but the only person moar nubby than a religous person is an atheist.

Latest posts

Back