Do you believe in God?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SophiaGrace said:
and if if what we think of as the mind...which are well partially biologically made (because hey mental illnesses like schizophrenia can be passed down genetically)

I wonder what the nature of mental illnesses are....

Are they a part of our soul too? But arent they biologically explainable by looking at the brain?

If mental illnesses are biologically explainable then does that mean that our minds are totally confined to the very physical brain?

One of the big questions is the idea of disentangling the soul from the mind, if that is possible at all.

The mind is very firmly rooted in biology and chemistry: physical injury to the brain can have a traumatic effect on the mind (read The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, by Oliver Sacks's to see some cases); psychoactive drugs are simply chemicals, but potent ones which can have a dramatic effect on the mind, how we perceive things, whether or not we hallucinate. They can provide a total shift in mood and emotion. Our moods are dependent on the volatile stew of chemicals in our brains.

Now we ask ourselves, is the mind all that there is? Is there yet another aspect to us that makes us human - namely a soul, an entity separate from the prison of neurons and neurotransmitters, and something that lives on after the last synapse has sputtered out.

It's an unknowable thing, I think, at least now, because scientists can only measure what they know with the equipment at their disposal.

cheaptrickfan said:
SophiaGrace said:
and if if what we think of as the mind...which are well partially biologically made (because hey mental illnesses like schizophrenia can be passed down genetically)

I wonder what the nature of mental illnesses are....

Are they a part of our soul too? But arent they biologically explainable by looking at the brain?

If mental illnesses are biologically explainable then does that mean that our minds are totally confined to the very physical brain?

One of the big questions is the idea of disentangling the soul from the mind, if that is possible at all.

The mind is very firmly rooted in biology and chemistry: physical injury to the brain can have a traumatic effect on the mind (read The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, by Oliver Sacks's to see some cases); psychoactive drugs are simply chemicals, but potent ones which can have a dramatic effect on the mind, how we perceive things, whether or not we hallucinate. They can provide a total shift in mood and emotion. Our moods are dependent on the volatile stew of chemicals in our brains.

Now we ask ourselves, is the mind all that there is? Is there yet another aspect to us that makes us human - namely a soul, an entity separate from the prison of neurons and neurotransmitters, and something that lives on after the last synapse has sputtered out.

It's an unknowable thing, I think, at least now, because scientists can only measure what they know with the equipment at their disposal.

That's why Chelle and I still love each other very much...
We is soulmates...:rolleyes2:
Don't ask me Y becuase I can't explain it to you.lol
Other than that our love is constant and lives on forever.
Actaully we're twin souls.lol
Twins soul will set the world on fire..(in more ways than one.lol)

I love her before she was born.
She had loved me through many life time.
She loves me since the begining of time.
I will love her until the end of time.

Nope..science hasn't been able of come up with a contraption
that will measure our love. God is love.

Whatever experince in this life time that we have..all comes back to love or the rememberance of love.
Whether through forgiveness or letting go of all the hatered that blocks the light that clouds our awareness of the truth.
LOVE...That's who we truely are. We are love. Children of the light. I'm a child of god (love).
We're spiritual beings having human experinces.

We both have chosen to come into this life time to work out our differences. This life time is but flash compair to enternity.
As i said...when twin souls collides..we set the world on fire...and God thought it wasn't such a good idea that we set heaven on fire:p

Lonesome Crow said:
Whatever experince in this life time that we have..all comes back to love or the rememberance of love.
Whether through forgiveness or letting go of all the hatered that blocks the light that clouds our awareness of the truth.
LOVE...That's who we truely are. We are love. Children of the light. I'm a child of god (love).
We're spiritual beings having human experinces.

We both have chosen to come into this life time to work out our differences. This life time is but flash compair to enternity.
As i said...when twin souls collides..we set the world on fire...and God thought it wasn't such a good idea that we set heaven on fire:p

That was trippy, LC.
xoxo

you know what? What if "God" is the creational force of the universe? What if God is the physical laws of matter? The DNA that tells things how and when to grow?

I totally disagree that God has physical features or that he is even a she or any gender for that matter or is the God in the bible. But maybe I could see God being the creational force of the universe and existing within the realms of science.

Then again why do I need to call the creational force of the Universe God? Why cant it just...be?

This universe is far too good to be created on its own.

P.S : Maybe the FSM theory has some depth to it XD. R-Amen

i like the idea, as abstract as it may seem, that god is light and love and we are part of that infinite continuum of existance and non-existance, the infinite wheel of being and non-being..

i like the idea that we are deliberate in our existance and time spent on this earth. that there is something deeper, unknowable and pure 'behind' the shadow of my physical existance, that i am the reflection of something more 'real' like my mirror-reflection is the reflection of the physical me in this plane..

i like the idea of reincarnation and karma, that your actions and words effect the world and mis-deeds will require 'payment' and that there is only one path no matter the apparent multitude and they all lead to the same place expressed with infinite variety.. and these journeys are not limited to one lifetime..

i like the fact that when i think about infinity my brain gives way and seems to touch the unknowable for an instant and the feeling of childlike awe at the vastness and magnificence of it all sends shivers through me.. i get the same feeling when i think about death and the ending of 'me'..

i like the idea that the self/ego is an illusion and to see through it you can realise that we are all connected and 'I' is 'ALL'..

i like the paradoxes and the idea of balance and the simple fact that i am able to 'know' ideas at all.. like the idea that anyone can and is a guru already and moments of opening of awareness can be found anywhere or may come to you unexpectadly from the most 'so called' ordinary person..

i like the idea that LOVE is not only romantic love, that it is much larger and varied.. i like the idea that IT is ALL God.. like a giant soup; some are spices, some peppercorns and most are vegetables..:p

What if God is just an alien being/race that has mastered the science of creation, and we are just sort of a colony experiment they started? I think that'd be pretty awesome.

----Steve

yeah, an experiment in which the crucial piece was removed so humans would constantly grapple with the notion of God and this grappling and striving would cause shockwaves of energy that these extraterrestrials would feed off of..

Aliensssssssss. They're coming to abduct you and make crop circles in a cryptic code demanding your ransom :p

No, I'm serious! I think it could be possible that we're just an advanced alien race's experiment in creation science. I mean....why the hell not? :D

----Steve

P.S. I always thought it'd be fun to go out to a field and make crop circles to freak some poor farmer out. :p

Lol sign me up I'm coming with you to help make one.

Lets see...we'll need a board and some rope....

What do you think about Some flashy lights to simulate a ufo?

We also need to figure out how we're going to map the damned thing so it looks cool and not crooked. We don't want to look like amateurs after all :p

LOL no, you don't have to pay out the ass for my space-alien religion. :p

----Steve

P.S. Holy crap, them scientologists is probably gonna hunt me down for posting that. @_@
P.P.S. FSM is real, praise His Noodly Goodness.

It could have been unintentional. Maybe an alien landed here several billion years ago, walked around, and went back to his spaceship when he saw that there wasn't anything here.......... but the bacteria left behind from the bottoms of his shoes seeded earth with life. I can't remember the title of the book where I read that.

Sorry it's 6 am and I've been out the whole night.

I think i like SophiaGrace thoughts on it. Im agnostic myself because i think that no one truly knows until your dead. Most theories can be argued to have a valid point, including the alien angle. Even the Vatican recently agreed that alien life is possible, but because they say we humans can not understand the true creational power of God. After all this time they are not able to deny the fact any longer that its possible. To me that says alot.

If there is a God, then how can we even fathom or percieve his/her/its truth of the matter, and if there isnt then we are let down as a society because we put all our hopes and aspirations into thinking there is something more than ourselves.

How come Evolution or alien experimentation cant be a valid theory? to me hard core religious people and athiasts are two of the same coin? Both feel they are utterly right in their way of thinking. But has anyone in history ever died and came back to life to prove one way or the other?

Personally i think its very naive and even insulting to think that anyone knows the real truth of the matter. Mind you if you feel strongly one way or the other, that is your right and none should take that away. Believe what you want to believe, maybe thats the definition of God.

Just the word "Faith" makes me laugh. The definition of the word is to blindly follow an idea that can not be proven. If anything, have faith in yourself, at least you know where you stand and can believe or have confidence in your own life and abilities.

Again i reiterate, there is nothing wrong with being religious if thats how you feel about God. But try to keep an open mind to the fact that none of us honestly know the truth of the matter.

And organized religion... well in my opinion, is the biggest hoax or trick pulled on mankind. Its a way of brainwashing society to believe in something because we cant explain what we dont understand. mind you i think the bible is a great book, but thats it, just a book. A great way to control society but it does truly teach good morales and values for our children growing up and a guideline for adults to continue their lives.

Maybe God is just an energy we dont understand? Maybe God is truly an entity that created the universe. Or maybe there just had to be something and hence the "Big Bang" theory, or there would be nothing. Can there truly be nothingness? Maybe people just need to find their own way and not worry about what we can never understand.

I say live your life well and dont harm others or yourself, and you will be safe in whatever way you think. If there is a God, did he not give us our own individualism to decide for ourselves? And hell, maybe im wrong about it all. Whos to say... truly?

Any book written by man, i can not take as the truth of all. Especially one written so long ago. In all stories and tellings of the past, things become exaggerated and distorted over time in the telling. Its human nature to want to exagerate from one telling to the next.

Maybe there was a Jesus, but maybe he was just a great man that did great things in his time, and the stories of him became over exaggerated and thus he became the son of God. but if there is a God, arent we all his sons and daughters? Would make sense to me.

Maybe just the ramblings of a drunk monk... but maybe im on to something. you decide for yourself, that is your right.

k im done for now.

DrunkenMonkey said:
Maybe there was a Jesus

There was. It's been fairly well established that a man named Jesus actually did live and begin the religion of Christianity. The question is whether he was divine/God or just a really smart philosopher dude.

You may not believe that the Bible is the "Word of God," but it is definitely is a historical textual record. Evidence is found elsewhere in archeaology that corroborates certain events in the bible...things like battles, empires, etc. So I think most historians would agree that some dude named Jesus really did live and have a big social impact on Jewish society.

Lol I didn't see any drunk ramblings, dmonk. You made quite a bit of sense. :)

----Steve

He did nice magics. Better than David Blaine :p

XD lol Zak. Indeed he did.

Water into Wine:
Jesus -- "Alright, so here's the water. Now...just...turn around. Everyone turn around."

*everyone turns their backs to Jesus*

*Jesus swaps the jug of water for a jug of wine*

Jesus -- "Behold! It has been turned into wine!" :p

----Steve

Latest posts

Back