Do You Wear A Seat Belt?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
by nature i dnt like seat belts
nvr wore 1 until >>
well my new car?
wont let me drive w/o puttng it on
shes a powr freak

LoneKiller said:
NOT ALL OF THEM EQUINOX!! "RETARDED" IS AN ANTIQUATED AND DISRESPECTFUL TERM!!

What's with the caps lock? o_O

And no, it is not. At least not where I'm from. "Retarded" is an adjective straight from the dictionary, defined as "less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age". Nothing antiquated or disrespectful about it.

Calm yourself.

Don't tell me to calm down. I'm a grown ass man. The word "Faggot" is also in the dictionary, but it doesn't make it any less disrespectful. The term "Mentally Challenged" is used by far more people these days. Especially by health care professionals. I dare you to go up to the parents of a mentally challenged child and use the term "Retard" and see what kind of response you get.

While the caps lock was a bad idea, using the word retard is indeed a bad idea as well. The appropriate masses have come to take offense at the word, therefore it shouldn't be used. Of course on a side note, you can only change a word until you've exhausted all logical forms of it. If people take offense at the last logical construct of a word, they need to deal with it themselves. Well, that's what I think for now anyway. I haven't completely intellectually matured in that department.

I'll tell you to calm down when I think you need to calm down; caps lock and multiple exclamation marks usually suggests the need to do so. My apologies if this offends you. You're of course in no way obligated to do as I say.

Words like "faggot", "nigger" and "mongoloid" are all in the dictionary, and the first thing stated in their definitions is that they're offensive. "Retarded", however, has no such remark. And again, some words have different connotations depending on where in the world you live. I just happen to live in a country with a pretty relaxed relationship with words and terms, and my language is indeed affected by this. Does that mean I shouldn't say anything, in case someone somewhere might get offended and start yelling at me in caps lock? What makes your "rules" and culture more valid than mine?

And why would I ever walk up to random strangers and call their kid a retard? I agree; that probably wouldn't give me a positive response. Context is sort of relevant here. Were this forum in any way formal or professional, I might have chosen a more "politically correct" term to go with my half joke, but it's not. I'm sorry you find this word so upsetting, but that is honestly not my problem. It's not a bad word, even if "the appropriate masses" have decided they want to see it that way.

Ok mom. I'll try to calm down. Just because you find that one or two dictionaries support your argument doesn't mean that the definitions are globally accepted. There is a reason that the term "Retarded"
is not used by so many people including health care professionals anymore. You have been here longer than I have and your rep is impressive. I'm doing my best to take that into consideration, but you are making it difficult.

I'm not sure what you're after, to be honest. I've explained why I use the word, I've explained why I don't see it as offensive, and I've apologized for offending you. And you didn't answer my questions. Did you even read my reply?

This has nothing to do with my rating or how long I've been here, and I don't understand why you'd bring that up. My background, thoughts and opinions would be the same even if my rating was 0 and I'd just joined.

I'll be honest Equinox. It was never my intention to have this thread turn out the way it did. I don't want to cause any friction between you and I and the other members. We will just have to agree to disagree I guess. It's nothing personal. It's just a sensitive subject for me. You didn't know that, so it's alright.

I would really like to end this debate between us. This is a forum of healing, not harm. I would really like to put this behind us. No hard feelings?:)

What matters in ones language is not who one is but who one is speaking to. Whether the word is offensive to you or your country is irrelevant. If however you were completely oblivious to its international negative connotations, you would be excused.

Ok, can I just say I LK, don't think Equinox mean to be offensive or anything and she's apoligized, so maybe if yous could all just stop talking about it, maybe?
I respect you both and I hope this is over, now everyone just calm down and maybe have some cake?

EDIT!: Lol, this is why I shouldn't talk, I typed this before LK responded there (hehe)
Edit 2...: I typoed so much lol xD

condemnedsoul666 said:
Ok, can I just say I LK, don't think Equinox mean to be offensive or anything and she's apoligized, so maybe if yous could all just stop talking about it, maybe?
I respect you both and I hope this is over, now everyone just calm down and maybe have some cake?

EDIT!: Lol, this is why I shouldn't talk, I typed this before LK responded there (hehe)
I ate the last piece of cake yesterday.:p

Pheenix said:
What matters in ones language is not who one is but who one is speaking to. Whether the word is offensive to you or your country is irrelevant. If however you were completely oblivious to its international negative connotations, you would be excused.

If I thought the majority of people would be offended by whatever I said, I'd probably keep it to myself (which is why most of my crude jokes never reach this sensitive forum).

I'm still not convinved that there are "international negative connotations" to the word, as I've not seen anything indicating this, or any objective sources confirming it. However, I'll of course try not to step on any toes and refrain from using it anymore in here.

And by the way; I've been calm all along. I've had too much alcohol to get worked up. ;)

LoneKiller said:
condemnedsoul666 said:

I ate the last piece of cake yesterday.:p
Go buy more or I WILL kill you :p
lol jk...
But seriously, buy more. Now.
Equinox said:
Pheenix said:

If I thought the majority of people would be offended by whatever I said, I'd probably keep it to myself (which is why most of my crude jokes never reach this sensitive forum).

I'm still not convinved that there are "international negative connotations" to the word, as I've not seen anything indicating this, or any objective sources confirming it. However, I'll of course try not to step on any toes and refrain from using it anymore on this forum.

And by the way; I've been calm all along. I've had too much alcohol to get worked up. ;)
When I say calm down I never seem to mean it the way people think I do xD
I just mean leave it, but yeah lol
What you drinking? xD
Also, you're gonna show me your jokes, come on, I can take it xD

condemnedsoul666 said:
What you drinking? xD

That's what they all say, and they all get offended, so no. :p

Equinox said:
condemnedsoul666 said:
What you drinking? xD

That's what they all say, and they all get offended, so no. :p

:O
I only get offended if it's about me....
Or someone I know, but I highly doubt it will be :p

Seat-belts? I dont even wear a helmet when on a motorbike. Screw seat-belts. What does that make me? hmm whats worse than mentally retarded? I think thats called 'zak' lol

It says that you really don't mind the possibility of spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair or as a vegetable. ;)

Personally, I like to wear my seat belt but I don't think people who chose not to are stupid.
Every one has the right to make that call. I don't like telling others what to do or not to do with their body.

Equinox said:
It says that you really don't mind the possibility of spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair or as a vegetable. ;)

Thats absolutely right because I have nothing that I have to do in this world and a wheelchair or a life as vegetable wouldn't be much different from now other than maybe needing a helping hand but more than that I like the possibility of an instant death which is quite intriguing. Although I have had so many accidents where I have cheated death cos of insane amount of luck including hitting trucks/cars while over-speeding and falling on the road and blah I came out of all without a scratch.

Latest posts

Back