Dogs...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unwanted94

Reaction score
How many of you here have dogs? I know that dogs are great companions and I have been thinking about getting one. I'd like to get one, but my mom won't let me and claims 'Who would take care of it when you're at work?' Ive read about the responsibility of a dog,and Im all up for it because I really don't do much besides work. I wouldn't mind having something by my side all the time. Something I can talk to and play my guitar to and go for walks at the park with. Are dogs good solutions for severe loneliness or no?

I've had dogs, wish I could get one but my place is kind of small. We weren't supposed to have any pets either in the building I'm in, but now there are people who do (one has a very annoying yappy mutt). Dogs can be trained easily. We had one that had to stay inside when we weren't home because she'd bark outside, and the neighbour kids wouldn't help they kept calling to her and getting her all worked up. She knew she had to eat in the morning and make sure she pooped when put outside, because she'd be only left water while no one was home, she couldn't be trusted to roam the house freely. She was also kept in the unused kitchen in the basement that had a tile floor. She had a few accidents, it's bound to happen. For her it was just like night time, she got let out before bedtime and knew she'd have to wait until morning to do her business again, just like we do when we go to sleep, hopefully. I mean, who likes getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. The first dog we had was very well behaved and was usually left outside. She didn't bark unless there was a reason. She was leashed up and had her own little dog house to go into if it rained. But she was the same way when inside, would sleep through the night until morning to be left out to go. In the winter she was given full reign of the house because she didn't get into anything, she just slept.

They are great companions though. Dogs will love you and not judge you. They are great listeners and sometimes even seem to know when you need comforting. They are also fun to play with and take for walks. Our second dog was full of energy, she loved to play. We even taught her how to walk up a slide and go down it.

I prefer cats too:) Maybe your mum would be happy if you suggested getting a cat as they are less work? They are also great little friends. However, the fact you don't need to take them for walks has its drawbacks-people are more inclined to approach someone walking a dog. Could you get a cat for yourself and then look round for an elderly or disabled neighbour who has a dog which you could take out for walks for them?

Pets like dogs or cats are considered to be therapeutic by many people. We have 2 Chihuahuas that I just love to death. It's fun playing with them. Also, when you've been around them long enough, you get to understand their emotions as well in many ways, even though they don't speak, you can tell.

We have a dog here, he's a good company.

I think there is something depressing about cats... they're so cold... heartless lol.

So in my opinion it would be better for a lonley person to have a dog. Plus, you get to take him out, it's a good way to meet people.

I have two dogs and a cat - either can be therapeutic - tbh, if i was a parent of an extremely young adult, i would not let my child have a dog or cat - if the child goes to college, military, or finds their own job somewhere, it equals the PARENT taking care of an animal for probably the next ten years - all kids or young adults say they will take care of the animal until life takes them another direction.

I have a dog. Hes a young border terrier with a lot of energy. Very fun to play with, good company when one is board. Got him in 2010 when my loneliness hit an all time low. There are several cats in the neighborhood, he loves to chase them. The border terriers were often used to hunt down small rodents, and they are fast runners capable of keeping up with a horse.

I have not owned a dog by myself, but they seem like (well...some) can be A LOT of work.. and tiring. It all depends on the breed and size though. Dogs are probably better for companionship because of all the attention they need and give to you. I have thought about it but not for me, yet anyways. My cat would probably not be that happy. lol

I've had a lot of dogs in my life, my boy now is my 13th. Although dogs can provide excellent company, they are really not suited for people who work full time and can't check on them, or have someone else check on them, during the day. I'm not sure what your individual circumstances are like, or what your daily routine is, but I would strongly advise against getting a single dog if you can't be around during the day, and a puppy would be out of the question. Not only can it lead to a host of behavioral problems, but it's not fair to the dog. A lot of rescues and even breeders won't even consider adopting out or selling a dog to someone who works full time with no one to take care of it during the day, but then, I don't know if you work full-time. If you do work full-time, you'd have to be able to at least come home at lunch.

I'm assuming you've done your research, so I won't lecture you about the necessity for regular exercise and consistent training. But another matter is that you have to be very considerate about your energy level and find a dog to match it. If you find a dog more energetic than you, you'll have a pretty miserable time trying to keep up.

But if you feel that you are still ready for a dog, they can indeed be great company. You always have an eager partner to go out into the world with, you always have a friend to spend your time with. They are indeed a fine solution for loneliness, but only if your lifestyle permits the proper care for one. Otherwise, get a cat. There are many very social cats who enjoy human interaction despite what cat haters would have you believe.

saddest dog in the world:

[video=youtube]

this is just about the worst thing that can happen to a dog.

http://www.ohmidog.com/2008/09/03/four-paws-pimple-ball-claims-dogs-tongue/

A Long Island company recalled its Four Paws Pimple Ball last week after a Manhattan couple’s lab mix had to have his tongue removed following a freak accident with the popular rubber chew toy.
Chai, 10 years-old, had emergency surgery after his tongue was sucked into a hole in the ball in late June. Massive swelling after the surgery led vets to remove the dog’s tongue a week later.

“It’s been devastating,” the dog’s owner, Daniel Rechelbacher told the New York Daily News. “He was depressed, he was in pain and he couldn’t chew his food.”

Rechelbacher, 39, a hair stylist who runs Salon2b in lower Manhattan said he plans to sue Four Paws, Inc. Videos on Rechelbacher’s blog show the dog whimpering, being hand-fed and drinking through a giant syringe.

Four Paws posted a recall and warning on its website, Tuesday.

The company said it has stopped shipping the toys to distributors. It asked retailers to remove them from the shelves and asked customers to return them.

Four Paws executive Barry Askin said a defect in the product’s mold sealed one of the ball’s two holes, creating a vacuum effect that could trap a tongue. The Daily News reported that Chai isn’t the only casualty of the Pimple Ball.

In 2005,a 5-year-old lab mix had to be euthanized after his tongue got caught in the toy, swelled and would not heal, the Daily News reported.

Chai is slowly recovering from his ordeal, and is learning how to eat and drink without a tongue, but is still unable to cool himself through panting.

Looks like it also happened to another dog: (this one will have to live his whole life without it)

Hello,
My dog Harry has recently had it's tongue removed due to a rat trap incident. I was wondering if anyone had any advice to give in this situwation. We will be collection him from the vets tomorrow (his operation was yesterday) and I would like to have some arrangments in place for food and drink. Would anybody know what type of food I should give him and how, and also how would he drink. Harry is a gorgeous 1 year old cross Lab and I'm worried that he could find is extremely difficult to eat/drink in other ways as he has had use of his tongue for the first year. Please help!!!! :cry: :cry:

blackdot said:
I know. But I can't handle seeing animals in pain or dying.

The way you feel about pets... I feel the same way about love. I just can't handle the heartache, the pain, the betrayals, and the dying (dieing of relationship, and the dying / recoloring of ones heart)

Black dot ... meet legendary pink dots ... lol

[video=youtube]

Dogs are wonderful loving creatures but they take time. And you have to think of their loneliness, too and take them out a lot (they are sociable animals). This is true if you live a lone...dogs really need to engage with the world.

I have two rescues. They are wonderful. A small poodle mix and a cockapoo. Both are seniors now. I love them to death but they do take energy and time. Energy and time to take them out everyday, twice a day (for me). Also, while they can connect you to others in some ways they have kept me from connecting because I hate to leave them alone when I go out. They are sort of like kids...you love them but need to go out by yourself sometimes but feel guilty doing so because they would love the fun, too.

Please consider rescueing. Many wonderful pets that need homes....no sense in supporting puppy mills that do not care for animals in general.

Both can be good company, even a budgie can be trained to stay on your shoulder and play in your hair, they are very smart. Think about it carefully, dogs are great, after they have been trained...then you have to make sure they go out regularly, get their exercise and they need a babysitter when you leave.

Cats are easy to litter train, thye can be very affectionnate, mine sleeps with me every night. i have left her alone for up to a week, leaving lots of food and water out. Mine doest go outside, cause once they get a taste of it... they ask to go out all the time, at any time.

I've always had Dogs. I had a friend who had cats. I didn't go to his place too often, can't stand the smell. At least Dogs go outside, but can be a pain in the ass until potty trained. With a cat you've got to get a litter box and your house will then smell like a bathroom. I guess people get used to it.

Latest posts

Back