drugs

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Among the Sleep said:
it's like I'm always trying to fill a hole.
I know the feeling here, except I get this with pretty much everything I do, not just drugs, my first time taking MDMA turned out to be a very positive experience for me though.

The taking of any mind altering substance is likened to anything in life that requires skill and knowledge. If you don't know what you are doing and are irresponsible, you will get into trouble. From my personal experience, I should say the majority of drug users are very ill prepared when going into these experiences. Popular culture teaches us that we need to party, get crazy, be wild, and have sex. When in reality most any drug has it's proper place and use.

Methamphetamine has been used by military pilots to help them stay awake. Cocaine was used by Freud and probably fueled some very interesting mania driven introspection and insight. Mushrooms have been used by ancient tribes to commune with the ancestors. Diamorphine has it's place in the treatment of severe pain and end of life scenarios. Cannabis can greatly enhance the senses, and has it's place amidst venues of entertainment and as a general relaxation enhancer. Alcohol has the ability to bring down social barriers. MDMA has it's use in therapy settings for helping people over come difficult past experiences, traumas, issues preventing them from getting over things or growing further personally. LSD has it's place as a tool for reprogramming the mind and helping people over come great fears or obstacles.

The list goes on and on and on. However, unfortunately, the disasters and train wrecks equal the success stories if not out number them. Would you expect a child to know how to use a power saw with out any guidance, training, and or assistance? No. You would let the child age into a young man, you would train them to wear safety goggles and pay attention, to respect the power. Same with a car. A child of 10 may be capable of operating a machine just fine with the right training, maybe even with out it. On the same token some people in their 20's, 30's, 40's, etc., drive like idiots and shouldn't be on the road, but they are, because there is a law and set of rules they may have skirted by. Even then, mistakes can happen behind the wheel to the best of us, some times, with disastrous life ending results.

The use of mind altering substances is a practice best imposed on the young adults/teenagers with guidance, and it is expected that if you are an adult, you are responsible and act accordingly to what you are under taking. When some one gets hurt or dies, we only have ourselves to blame for our actions. Sadly it is ignorance that kills/harms, not drugs.

Drug prevention and rehabilitation focuses not on proper drug use training, but rather teaches the idea of pure abstinence, which in a our consumerist society, is absolutely contradictory to everything we encounter every day on T.V., the media, the news, the internet, in our cars, on the radio. There are ways for the youth to be initiated, but often many youths are left to their own, with out any initiations, rites of passage, they get tatoos they later regret. They have drunken sex. They get behind the wheel of a car drunk. Some of us are fortunate enough to have been initiated in some sort of way. Perhaps through the learning of a skill for work and earning a living. Perhaps a single beer in the late teens as a coming of age token.

Sadly there just aren't enough people who know how to properly use most of these substances. Alcohol has been around long enough that it has made a place for itself in society, most notably among the proletariat, but also has it's place amongst the middle class and bureaucracy as well. Cannabis has it's roots in the east and in the middle east. The mushrooms and psychedelic containing plants in the south Americas and African tribes.

When cultures mix, there is a clash of culture, and mind altering substances are not exempt. I'm sure the affects of alcohol, "fire water", were quite devastating to the indigenous tribes of America during it's conquest, as was tobacco on the conquering people. Tobacco was a traded commodity reserved in use for special gatherings, as I understand it.

The important thing to take note of is that mind altering substances are not toys. If you break something, mommy and daddy won't be able to buy you a new one. They require knowledge, education of proper use, and responsibility. Cocaine for example is a concentrated chemical extraction of the cocoa leaf. A plant who's leaves are chewed much in the same way we brew and consume coffee, for increasing energy, alertness, and the like. The problem happened, when the cultures mixed and the western sciences took the compound in question to a new height.

Ultimately, drugs of any kind are a neutral force. Their primary use in the current paradigm is a tool for mitigating economic disparity among peoples most negatively affected by European dominance of the globe in the past 500 or so years. The other side of that coin unfortunately, is often the mass consumption by a society quite often devoid of any rigid and stable cultural norms due to the nature of it's growth and mixing and acquiring of other cultures.

The best of luck to any prospecting substance users, but more importantly, the best knowledge and level of preparedness. May you be well and discover new insights to enrich your life. And may you avoid the road that leads to the palace of wisdom, and find yourself amongst a more forgiving trail.

I smoke weed from time to to time now. I will say, it gives you a sense of hope, a better way to see things, an understanding and an escape from life. I feel like it helps you with anxiety and sorrow and grief, you just have to let it. If your scared of doing it it won't help. I don't think doing drugs daily is good for you, but hey, it's your life man.

MaxWagor said:
I smoke weed from time to to time now. I will say, it gives you a sense of hope, a better way to see things, an understanding and an escape from life. I feel like it helps you with anxiety and sorrow and grief, you just have to let it. If your scared of doing it it won't help. I don't think doing drugs daily is good for you, but hey, it's your life man.

The advice I get from people about weed and anxiety is hilarious to me. "You just have to let it"... dude, I'm not actively fighting it. I don't go into a weed smoking session just trying to focus on shitty things to bum myself out on purpose. It just happens, with regularity...I smoke weed, and I get bad anxiety. That's a chemical reaction in your brain that's insanely difficult to fight, and weed brings it on for me, hard. Not that I don't smoke it sometimes, but like I said, I can only take a couple hits before the anxiety comes on, and even then it still does sometimes. When it feels nice it feels real nice, which is why I still smoke it, but it has to be in extreme moderation or it's completely valueless to me.

Another gem that people regularly tell me: "You just gotta smoke it in a chill place with chill people". Yeah, no honeysuckle. I usually don't go to the projects in Harlem and smoke weed in crack houses. I'm ALWAYS in a chill place with chill people. An apartment or house with a couple of friends. Rarely do I rip bowls while jumping out of helicopters into war zones. Weed just has a bad reaction with me sometimes. I don't try to not enjoy it.

We have lots of weeds in our garden, you're welcome to come and get them.

lusker said:
ippi said:
FYI, weed isnt physically addictive. It can become a habit or psychologically addictive like everything else. Seems it needed to be pointed out. thx

There is an absolute tonne of material out there contradicting you, I'm afraid. I've spent the last eleven years dealing with drug users of all types, and while the stoners are the most mellow and non-violent of the lot, they definitely develop a physiological addiction.

May I ask, What do you do?

Weed is good in moderation...
Actually, I get super anxiey too... but only with company it seems... I only need a little to get a buzz and thats where I usually stop when I smoke alone.

I am actually pretty open to natural drugs like mushrooms and weed... but also would like to try MDMH and LSD for its medical applications... I just cannot get myself to risk it on impure substances... honeysuckle can be laced with crap and I dont know the scene enough to have someone I can trust....

So Weed is all I have to expand my horizons.

MadMonkè said:
lusker said:
ippi said:
FYI, weed isnt physically addictive. It can become a habit or psychologically addictive like everything else. Seems it needed to be pointed out. thx

There is an absolute tonne of material out there contradicting you, I'm afraid. I've spent the last eleven years dealing with drug users of all types, and while the stoners are the most mellow and non-violent of the lot, they definitely develop a physiological addiction.

May I ask, What do you do?

Weed is good in moderation...
Actually, I get super anxiey too... but only with company it seems... I only need a little to get a buzz and thats where I usually stop when I smoke alone.

I am actually pretty open to natural drugs like mushrooms and weed... but also would like to try MDMH and LSD for its medical applications... I just cannot get myself to risk it on impure substances... honeysuckle can be laced with crap and I dont know the scene enough to have someone I can trust....

So Weed is all I have to expand my horizons.

Um. Can you show us some of this "tonne of material"? I don't believe that at all.

Back in 2009 I had a kidney stone and I had to go to the hospital just to deal with the pain. They pumped me up with morphine and I got a prescription for Percocet. That was my first encounter with prescription drugs, I had never needed to use them before. When I was taking those pills, there was like a sudden burst of sunshine, I found out I was getting high off the **** things and I kicked them to the curb. Don't get me wrong, the feeling was great, but I need to live straight. Addiction runs in my family, my mother with drugs and my father with alcohol. I need to keep my head straight.

Sometimes I get the urge to go get some more Percocets, but I'm just too afraid of what they will do to me. Living with addiction is no way to live.

Jocsaint said:
Back in 2009 I had a kidney stone and I had to go to the hospital just to deal with the pain. They pumped me up with morphine and I got a prescription for Percocet. That was my first encounter with prescription drugs, I had never needed to use them before. When I was taking those pills, there was like a sudden burst of sunshine, I found out I was getting high off the **** things and I kicked them to the curb. Don't get me wrong, the feeling was great, but I need to live straight. Addiction runs in my family, my mother with drugs and my father with alcohol. I need to keep my head straight.

Sometimes I get the urge to go get some more Percocets, but I'm just too afraid of what they will do to me. Living with addiction is no way to live.

Yeah, it isn't. I just wish I had that kind of resolve. I'm sorta the opposite... I'm the only person in my family that's ever been dysfunctional like this. I hate it.

never did drugs but i understand the urge to do so . Any escape from this crap life is welcomed right ? I agree, being sober doesn't make life better, its still the same boring life. But the only reason u can tell yourself to quit doing drugs, is "is long healthy life, both in body and mind,worth it ? " Drugs drain you , the lack of money puts a strain on your conscience etc. The only reason i didn't start doing drugs is that i cant afford it , and prefer to spend my money on other vices to brighten up my day .

The only upper I tried was meth, twice. Didn't like the after effects, so I stopped when I could. No offense meant to OP, but I don't like hard drugs, mostly because I couldn't stand people who are high as a bumblebee. I mean, whenever I'm sober and I see someone being all like The Flash in front of my face and everyone, I'm like I don't ever want to be that guy. They...break the order of my surroundings too much.

Implicitly, I prefer downers. I used to smoke up a lot, mostly alone, at times with friends. Used to, since anxiety attacks became more and more frequent, even in my natural habitats with perfect conditions. I only toke occasionally now, when I feel like I need to see a different perspective. I find that toking to be the most pleasurable while being preoccupied with something that requires heavy focus. That way, I could prevent the anxiety-causing thought patterns to start.

The most enjoyable and worthwhile substance I have ever taken is shrooms. I'd go and try LSD but I have no hope of finding a source here. I don't recommend to take it alone though, as half the experience is the communal feeling you get with other people.

and hey, if it makes anyone feel better, check out #1
http://www.cracked.com/article_19174_5-unexpected-downsides-high-intelligence_p2.html
( I know it's a comedy site, but still. If what it says is true, then controlling yourself is really really important then. You don't want your initially high intelligence, the one thing that society will recognize you for, to deteriorate to the point of becoming that crazy person on the streets.)

Latest posts

Back