Easter = Suddenly feeling very lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Excluded

Reaction score
This has sneaked up on me, but with 4 days off work I have suddenly realised just how lonely I am. There are a few problems. I had a relationship go very badly wrong about 9 years ago, and since then, have not even had a date. Truthfully that's not something I miss as I am sorta asexual and the relationship was only good in the first 6 months then limped along for a further 2 and a half years, I almost wish I was gay as that would make things easier to explain to people, but I just have no interest in being with anyone of either sex. But of course my friends don't feel the same way, and their lives have changed as mine has stood still.

My best friend moved a couple of hours travel away about 4 years ago, and I travelled to stay with her and her partner about once every 2 months- we'd go out, have drinks, stay up late watching dumb films... Well now she's pregnant. She gets tired and says there's no point in my travelling through as by the time I get there she will be in bed. So I haven't visited in over 6 months and saw her once briefly in that time. She's been in touch by text, but not very often. As I have almost less interest in children than I do in relationships I feel we will continue to drift.

My other close friends- well one is now married and if I don't make time to go to see her I don't really hear from her. My other I am really confused about. We live nearby, have a shared hobby and spent a lot of time together, but recently when I go to our club people are asking questions about whether I am going to X too- turns out they are going places with her and I have never even been asked. That hurts. :(

I've had a brief chat with someone since work ended Thursday but spent no real time with anyone. Have drunk far too much and slept a lot. If it weren't for my dogs I'd be completely isolated. I have spent time writing, which is my hobby and wishing I had some idea where i want to go with my life, as my job is something I never wanted to do and is dead end but is secure and well paid- seems ungrateful to wish I had something to look forward to when so many people are unemployed, but I do.

Anyway, I wish I knew what to do now. Anyone else feeling the same this easter time?

I empathise with you. Everyone's either with family or away with friends over the BH weekend and it can really exagerate feelings of lonliness. I don't know how id cope without my three gorgeous cats, they really keep me plodding on....

So happy easter from me :)

For me (as in AS I TYPE THIS), it's the "Listen, everyone! We're having sex" neighbors I have. Actually, I'm not feeling lonelier due to it but rather distracted from what I'm trying to do (which is study music). And now that I find myself breaking from that, I am at forums again thinking about habits I'd like to break...

Holidays are some of the most difficult times to get through loneliness. I can empathize with you.

Planning time consuming projects during those times helps me. Spring cleaning, movie marathon, a stack of books I had no time to read, etc. helps kill the time.

When friends pair up with others, they tend to forget their single friends. Maybe they just don't want single people around?

I have taken your advice 4ward and cleaned the house and looked into buying an apartment to make practical use of the day, though truthfully have still also been drinking since 1pm, not ideal.

Wish at least one of my mates was still single, all of them at least have a house together. Of the 3 1 is pregnant and the other married. Ironically I don't mind hanging out with couples as I know I won't be hit on which is a situation that makes me highly uncomfortable and upset as I don't want anything to do with it. Guess it's just not a situation THEY want to be in tho.

I hate my job but actually glad am back at work tomorrow as it's an end to being alone. That's tragic! :(

Latest posts

Back