Embarrassing/bad thoughts.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomethingElse

Reaction score
Ok.. So this is a "Am I normal" kind of question. Lately I've been having embarrassing bad thoughts... They are actual memories of things that have happened. Most of them in my mind I know aren't even a big thing or even anything to feel bad about...

But they seem like a big deal and make me cringe. They repete and or other thoughts that make me feel the same way come to mind. Its like a vicious cycle that wants to keep me down. I try to keep my mind positive but sometimes it wont let me.

I feel like theres a little man with a whip in my head forcing me to feel worthless or stupid for stuff that isn't really that big of a deal or anything to sweat over.

So... Is this normal.. Or does anyone else relate?

I would have no idea if it is normal, but i do that all the time.

Yeah over something that can be of no importance at all.

usually that's a combination of anxiety and low self-esteem

you need some serious positive affirmations

you don't have to justify yourself to anyone

you are putting yourself mentally into the minds of others,

and worrying about what they will think of you.

for your survival, it is ESSENTIAL that you somehow STOP giving a ****!

good luck

It usually comes from being down and taking the world too seriously. Once you lighten up, the thoughts will stop feeling relevant to you, and you drop them. Just tried the same myself.

I go thru the same as well. black hole is right, it's mostly anxiety which causes you to worry a lot about things(even if they're trivial) and hold on to bad memories or things that you thought were bad. Basically it's like your mind is stuck repeat and it keeps playing the same memory over and over. The best you can do is to remember that these thoughts are a big of a deal and try to think positively.

Remember those cartoons with the little devil on your shoulder that tells you to do bad things well i think of that sort of thought pattern like that. We all feel shame over things or embarrassment but we can over come those things. We are live and we learn, accepted it, correct it, and forgive yourself, and most importantly learn to laugh at things. the way i deal with it is respond with something positive, but you have to be firm if you want it to leave u be, Confidence that whatever is repeating is a lie or no longer relevant. Doing this also helps build up your self esteem so those little voices mean nothing anymore.

Yes, I do it all the time too.
Okiedokes-I agree with you that it could be OCD.

SomethingElse said:
So... Is this normal.. Or does anyone else relate?

Normal? Maybe not, but it would depend on how strong it is. Relate? Yes I do and others do to. Everyone with low self value/ self esteem has these kind of problems. Many people with social phobia have it as a part of the problem too, and as far as I heard, a few very lonely people do, too.

Like someone already said, it's most likely a combination of anxiety and low self-esteem... which can be like a devilish circle that repeats itself and groves stronger and stronger... so I guess you will have to work on it. Maybe with self help, maybe with the help of a professional (psychologist, not a hitman please.)

I feel with you, but I'm afraid that I can't help you much more... I'm still in the fight with my own. :(

PyramidHead said:
Normal? Maybe not, but it would depend on how strong it is. Relate? Yes I do and others do to. Everyone with low self value/ self esteem has these kind of problems. Many people with social phobia have it as a part of the problem too, and as far as I heard, a few very lonely people do, too.

Like someone already said, it's most likely a combination of anxiety and low self-esteem... which can be like a devilish circle that repeats itself and groves stronger and stronger... so I guess you will have to work on it. Maybe with self help, maybe with the help of a professional (psychologist, not a hitman please.)

I feel with you, but I'm afraid that I can't help you much more... I'm still in the fight with my own. :(

Hey mate, I agree with you, and there's a few other comments here that talk about it being some kind of repeat button or feedback loop, that just grows and grows. It's like having a demon inside your head. You start to question your sanity after a while. All I know is that at times it can be a very very ugly thing, and downright scary.

Latest posts

Back