Falling for someone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In a lonely place

Reaction score
I've been surprised at how quickly I fall for someone, then go off them.
Was convinced this girl was my dream girl; started talking to her January of this year, was madly in love with her by the end of February. Heartbroken in March, April to May alternately hoping she'd change her mind/ decided to move on, June-July seriously going off her!
What's wrong with me?
I'm not the sort of guy to show my feelings usually, I like to get to know someone well before making my mind up about them.
Mid-life crisis? I turn 50 next year.

In a lonely place said:
Was convinced this girl was my dream girl; started talking to her January of this year, was madly in love with her by the end of February. Heartbroken in March, April to May alternately hoping she'd change her mind/ decided to move on, June-July seriously going off her!
What's wrong with me?
I'm not the sort of guy to show my feelings usually, I like to get to know someone well before making my mind up about them.

Hmmmm...I would think a mid-life crisis would be dating and/or, getting married to a girl that is 25yrs. younger than you. But not where you have the 'hots' for a girl, only to find something that is potentially utterly repulsive.

In a lonely place said:
What's wrong with me?

Awww I'm sorry :( I don't know about mid-life crisis stuff. I'm only 20, but what you describe is what I go through in relationships. Except they all end up with the guys geting mad and going off on me. I don't know how long is long enough to "know" someone yet. If you find out, will you let me know?

Hmmmm...I would think a mid-life crisis would be dating and/or, getting married to a girl that is 25yrs. younger than you. But not where you have the 'hots' for a girl, only to find something that is potentially utterly repulsive.
[/quote]

Hey! I could be mid-life crisis material! :)

love doesn't happen that quick.

in a few weeks, it is impossible to be in love.

it is not, however, impossible to be in love with the notion of being in love at that point.

we'll call that infatuation.

Trent said:

it is not, however, impossible to be in love with the notion of being in love at that point.

That makes sense. You'd think I'd know better at my age.

In a lonely place said:
Trent said:

That makes sense. You'd think I'd know better at my age.

i think the real difficulty is finding someone that legitimately wants the same thing(s) that you want.

i've always just wanted trust based on love and commitment in a relationship.

never had that.

the problem is that even if you find someone that you are attracted to, usually that person has different motives. one partner will be looking for a serious relationship, the other will be looking for excitement. one partner will be unsure about committing, while the other wants desperately a committed relationship. one partner will be fully honest, and the other will withdraw and hold things back. all in all, it's sort of sick the way most of these things go.

Yeah it sounds like infatuation to me as well. Idk about mid life crisis but it is possible? idk. It's good that you realized the feelings weren't rly there in june/july if thats what you meant by going off her. :p

I can get infatuated with someone after 2-3 hours together and a kiss. Maybe even excluding the kiss. It sucks!
After looking it up on wikipedia, infatuation might be the wrong word.

This person lied to me and that's why I changed my opinion of her. I guess I just assumed a LOT of things about her in a short space of time.
But yes I am very, very anxious to find someone who wants to be with me; who says to me 'you are special, I want to be with you' for however long. This has never happened to me and that is why I feel kinda inadequate without it and why I want it to happen.

I'd say your situation is a little less common for someone your age. But it happens. Sometimes you get in just a little too deep in too little time. I have been like that with Girls and I know people who have been like that too. Don't let it bother you too much. Just try to learn from the experience/s.

Gutted said:
I'd say your situation is a little less common for someone your age. But it happens. Sometimes you get in just a little too deep in too little time. I have been like that with Girls and I know people who have been like that too. Don't let it bother you too much. Just try to learn from the experience/s.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Latest posts

Back