Feel like I'm losing too many of the few I have

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tealeaf

Reaction score
At the end of this year, one of my closest friends since middle school - that's almost ten years - is moving across the ocean to start a new life in England. We're like sisters and have never spent more than a year apart after facing everything from family emergencies and bad breakups together. She came out of her shell as we grew up, while I stayed very much the same except for becoming calmer and more empathetic. I wish we'd spent more time together, and that I'd never allowed us to drift and get lost in living life.

There's a secret I've been keeping from her for almost half this time because I'm so ashamed about what I allowed someone to trick me into doing. I want to confess to her what happened before she leaves, but it's been a secret for so long that I'm not sure I can. I don't think she'd hate me, but the shame of what happened is something that poisoned me for years, and I've only just begun unraveling it all and righting things.

The other friend I've known since middle school wants to move to Chicago. He feels like there's nothing for him in Minnesota, and honestly I don't blame him. His life has always kind of sucked, but we managed to make things pretty okay some days in school by goofing off whenever possible. I don't think we've ever had a heart-to-heart conversation because we're both very private and never managed to draw each other out, but we always had a silent understanding of and tolerance for each other's problems.

I'm facing college feeling both more self-assured than I was when I was younger and more wary of letting people get to know me and forming attachments. I no longer have the sense of self-loathing I did when I was younger, but I've lost something else, too.

On the online front, people are leaving my life, too.

One of my fellow moderators from an old forum passed away... I'm not sure how I feel. Sad, I guess. Last I heard his cancer treatments were actually going well, but apparently some infected areas couldn't be worked on because of other risks, and eventually he was faced with liver failure and told he likely only had a few weeks to live.

I managed that place with him for two years starting with the final stages of conception and design, up until my resignation. Until now I'd entirely forgotten all the staff banter that went on in e-mails and private. The hidden puns I left in the forum descriptions are still there, though he caught a lot of the more obnoxious ones and fixed them, sometimes thinking they were his own typos.

I left that staff team with a lot of things left unsaid

That happens, all the friends I made live in different areas now and we rarely if ever see each other. But with today's technology and social media you can always keep in touch with each other. You really aren't losing a good friend, that relationship will always be there no matter how far apart you are. It's physical that is changing.

As for the secret you are holding on to, only you can truly decide if it is worth telling her now.

Many people come and go. Everyone will face this in certain parts of their lives. But if it is for the better, you should be happy for them. It is important that there is a mean to keep in touch with each other and it will then depends on the each effort to keep this friendship going.

If it is something she needs to know, just be frank and tell her about it. Anyway, you are also a victim from what I read.

Yeah I don't know why but with age, everyone seems to break up. What's weird is that if I ask my friends if they want to hang out and stay close, they say yes. But then they make little effort to do so. Drifting from even the closest of friends is something we all have to accept I think. I've drifted from the 3 closest friends I had for years. Now I'd say I have 1 or 2 close friends who are drifting with time.

Even if technology isn't the same as face to face contact, at least you can be sure that these friends of yours will never fully be out of your life. I'm sure if you make an effort to keep in touch they'll do the same. I don't know if this relates to your post at all, but I always feel a little sad around this time of year. School is starting and everyone has these dreams and goals, and I feel scared, nervous, and alone on the side. I don't know if what you're going through is similar at all.

Latest posts

Back