Films for when you're feeling lonely...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spuzzwink

Reaction score
Does anyone have a film they like to watch when they're feeling very low?
Personally, my favourite is Cast Away as it never fails to make me feel better, even temporarily.

SPOILERS BELOW - If you've not seen it and don't want to know what happens, stop reading!

In a nutshell, a chap crash-lands on a remote desert island and spends four years trying to return to his girlfriend, his only source of motivation for staying alive, and upon succeeding discovers she has moved on and he is left to rebuild his life alone. It does end on a very positive note though, which is why it cheers me up. The whole film actually has very little dialogue and a very short musical score, as much of the story takes place on an island and I think the director Robert Zemeckis wanted to retain the feeling of isolation.

This is my favourite quote; it's the chap talking to his friend after he finds out his girlfriend has moved on. Very beautiful, I think:
"We both had done the math. Kelly added it all up and... knew she had to let me go. I added it up, and knew that I had... lost her. 'cos I was never gonna get off that island. I was gonna die there, totally alone. I was gonna get sick, or get injured or something. The only choice I had, the only thing I could control was when, and how, and where it was going to happen. So... I made a rope and I went up to the summit, to hang myself. I had to test it, you know? Of course. You know me. And the weight of the log, snapped the limb of the tree, so I-I - , I couldn't even kill myself the way I wanted to. I had power over *nothing*. And that's when this feeling came over me like a warm blanket. I knew, somehow, that I had to stay alive. Somehow. I had to keep breathing. Even though there was no reason to hope. And all my logic said that I would never see this place again. So that's what I did. I stayed alive. I kept breathing. And one day my logic was proven all wrong because the tide came in, and gave me a sail. And now, here I am. I'm back. In Memphis, talking to you. I have ice in my glass... And I've lost her all over again. I'm so sad that I don't have Kelly. But I'm so grateful that she was with me on that island. And I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Highly recommended.

Mister Lonely (Dir. by Harmony Korine)
This film contains two stories. One is about a Michael Jackson impersonator who works in France and meets a Marilyn Monroe impersonator. They both become friends and she invites him to live in a mansion where other impersonators live. The other story is about nuns who deliver goods to poor countries by dropping food off high above from a plane. One nun ends up falling out of the plane and a miracle occurs. The film does have its dark moments, but in the end it gives you hope. Its a very good film for the lonely.
[youtube]ckzRzhQDMrk[/youtube]

"Big Fish" The most feel good movie EVER. I'm not going to give any spoilers. Just watch it!

What I want most when I'm lonely is to experience genuine human interaction and emotion. Basically I like convincingly real drama.

One such film was The Lives of Others. It was the best foreign film of 2006. It's about a secret policeman in East Germany who spies on a playwright whom he considers politically suspect.

Beautiful character development, strong story, very moving ending. You really feel the journey that all of the characters take.

I haven't seen Harmony Korine's new film yet - I've seen Gummo loads of times, and watched his second film with Wener Herzog in it - I am definitely going to see it now. The Lives of Others is amazing, but Big Fish is typical Tim Burton fare: pretentious, whimsical, soulless.

My favourite film of all time is Harvey. I always watch it when I'm feeling down.

little_buddha said:
I haven't seen Harmony Korine's new film yet - I've seen Gummo loads of times, and watched his second film with Wener Herzog in it - I am definitely going to see it now.

Love Gummo and Julien Donkey Boy. He is a more mature director in this and it is nothing compared to his first two works. Don't know anyone that has ever seen any of Korine's films from here. Nice :) I think you will like enjoy it.

I can't imagine a worse possible movie to watch when lonely than Gummo. All that I remember about it was the soul destroying sense of failure and disgust at being in some way genetically related to such a profane cross section of humanity. I can't think of anything at all redemptive in that film, although it was a long time ago.

If I want to watch a soul destroying tale of failure I'll watch Requiem for a Dream, thanks.

Only other Harmony Korine related film I've seen was KIDS (written by). Which was redemptive to me in the compassion displayed for Jenny. (It forces the viewer to feel and hope for the character - I'm not saying things work out well for her) I could also relate to it more. The characters in Kids were exaggerations of people that I'd met in real life. The characters in gummo on the other hand. . . well, they may be based on real life, but I'd rather not know.

Wondering if Mister Lonely would seem alienating or real to me.

luciddisconnect said:
Wondering if Mister Lonely would seem alienating or real to me.

heh I would never dare to recommend Gummo, Julien Donkey Boy, or Kids in this thread. Trust me on that.

After Gummo and Julien Donkey Boy, Harmony Korine went away from making films for a long time. This film shows how much he has matured during that break and it is nothing like his other works. Some people may be turned off and not like it, but I think he did a good job. It really is something worth watching alone.

I really believe some real artists out in this world need to go away to find something to give back again instead of becoming a one trick pony or burning out too quickly. I feel that is what he has done and this film is the result. He was someone that was struggling with many problems in his life, but always held onto this story throughout the entire time.

OK cowboy, I'll check it out sometime soon. It's got to be better then the last Futurama movie.

My favorite movie of all time when I'm lonely is Smoke, with Harvey Keitel. Just a great movie about everyday people: A cigar store owner and one of his frequent customers, a not-so-great writer, in the middle of New York. Highly recommended. I haven't seen it's sequel, Blue in The Face, but I've heard it's pretty decent. I like Smoke because there's nothing spectacular about the characters, really. They're ordinary and we can relate to them. I'd never seen anything like it at the time, having been pretty young (I think I saw it in 2002?), and so it impressed me. If anyone's seen it and could recommend something similar, that'd be swell!

Man, I need to watch that again some time.

If you know how to download with BitTorrent, pretty sure this is it: http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/32498239/Smoke?tab=summary

It would have to be a film that doesn't have a lot of love and romance in it, such as The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and The Aristocats.

Latest posts

Back