First time visitor, long time loner.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rothniel

Reaction score
Hello all.
Am I in the right place? I had a traumatic experience in my sophomore year of high school where I accidentally spent twenty minutes in a senior English class. Not that that has anything to do with anything, but no matter.

My name is Derek. I'll be twenty-eight in less than a week. I'm an introvert by nature, but because my secret super power is mimickry, I can (at great cost to my energy level) act like an extrovert when it suits me.
I've always felt lonely, or more accurately, alone. I hesitate to talk about it because it makes me sound angsty. I should have given up the right to complain that "no one gets me" after I left my teens behind. But it hasn't changed.
I spend far too much time pretending I'm not nearly as sensitive as I am, and perhaps too much time analyzing life. I feel at times that my head is so heavy that my neck will snap under the weight of all these thoughts.
I tend to be a little self-absorbed, but not selfish, if that makes sense. That's probably why I chose to be a writer. In my personal relationships, I find that I always play the part of listener, because I'm good at it. I'm not so good at being the teller.
How the devil long should this intro be? I should probably cut myself off before I try to compose a very boring novel.

VanillaCreme said:
Next time, think about the title of your thread carefully. Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't intend to offend. That's why I explained myself in the message.

Though, now that I think about current U.S. events, that could have been misconstrued as inflammatory and, well, rather stupid.

Hi Derek,
Welcome to the forum. I loved your intro. You sound like a writer...one with a sense of humor I predict. :)

rothniel said:
VanillaCreme said:

Though, now that I think about current U.S. events, that could have been misconstrued as inflammatory and, well, rather stupid.

First of all, Welcome! This is a great place and you'll find a lot to consider here.
Secondly, just got home from work about an hour ago (645 am), so I'm tired and a bit slow right now...so could someone PM me and explain what was that (the above quote) was all about?

Tex Is Lost said:
rothniel said:
VanillaCreme said:

First of all, Welcome! This is a great place and you'll find a lot to consider here.
Secondly, just got home from work about an hour ago (645 am), so I'm tired and a bit slow right now...so could someone PM me and explain what was that (the above quote) was all about?

Thanks!
I had a title that was a reference to Camus. He's very subversive, you see.

Nina said:
Hi Derek,
Welcome to the forum. I loved your intro. You sound like a writer...one with a sense of humor I predict. :)

Thanks, Nina. I like to think my sense of humor is bone-dry, like my cappuccinos...that's a lie, I hate cappuccinos. Other times it's just the opposite like...do you remember Gushers? Are those still around? They were like cubical Fruit Roll-ups filled with ambrosia.

Derek--
LOL I do remember "Gushers" and yup, I think the squirty, little devils are still on the she;ves! I think a dry humor can be a riot. Humor in any form, lest it be the insult hidden behind a sneer and an, "I'm only joking" reply is good. The more we laugh the less we cry! ;)

hey and welcome. i know exactly how you feel with your head being full of thoughts. i think WAY too much for my own good and over analyze everything and it keeps me up at night a lot of the time.

rothniel said:
Hello all.
Am I in the right place? I had a traumatic experience in my sophomore year of high school where I accidentally spent twenty minutes in a senior English class. Not that that has anything to do with anything, but no matter.

My name is Derek. I'll be twenty-eight in less than a week. I'm an introvert by nature, but because my secret super power is mimickry, I can (at great cost to my energy level) act like an extrovert when it suits me.
I've always felt lonely, or more accurately, alone. I hesitate to talk about it because it makes me sound angsty. I should have given up the right to complain that "no one gets me" after I left my teens behind. But it hasn't changed.
I spend far too much time pretending I'm not nearly as sensitive as I am, and perhaps too much time analyzing life. I feel at times that my head is so heavy that my neck will snap under the weight of all these thoughts.
I tend to be a little self-absorbed, but not selfish, if that makes sense. That's probably why I chose to be a writer. In my personal relationships, I find that I always play the part of listener, because I'm good at it. I'm not so good at being the teller.
How the devil long should this intro be? I should probably cut myself off before I try to compose a very boring novel.
Hey, Derek, and happy birthday minus a few days! I can relate to what you're saying and I think your words here will be mine in 4 years, when I'll be 28... Beautiful writing, very natural. I wish I could find the courage to start writing, because I'm struggling for a while. Maybe I could "steel" some tips from you. :)

Latest posts

Back