funny customer at work

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
I am not worried about this, it isn't a problem. I am more curious, nobody to talk to about it so I will try here :)

I work in a small shop, it's not on the high street, it's a community shop, the customers know the staff and we know them. I know I am a popular member of staff amongst the customers. We are told to be friendly to customers, chat and smile etc.

There is this lass, she looks in her twenties. I am noticed her for a few months. Everytime she walks in the shop she looks at the till area. Most customers don't, they just walk in. She doesn't, walks in and looks and if it's me stood there, she quickly turns away and either smiles or smirks to herself. It has happened so many times. No other customer does it.

She hasn't made any effort to talk to me. When I am on the till, she goes to the self scan tills. This happens always !

We are told to look out for shop lifters or trouble so when I am not serving I tend to glance at the door when somebody walks in. So with this lass looking towards the till area, we have exchanged loads of awkward looks and glances. I can talk to anybody at work but she makes no effort to chat or talk. And it's always busy so I haven't had the chance to talk.

Today she came in twice and the second time, she looked at me straight away. And then we get the smirk or smile, no idea which. And then she goes to the self scan and even when she walked by, she glanced at me out of the corner of her eye and that look again - a smirk - I do feel like saying 'what's the problem ?'

No idea what's going on, whether she thinks I fancy her (which I don't)

Sci-Fi said:
Maybe she's in to older dudes. ;) By that I don't mean old old just older.

why doesn't she come to my till and chat then like all the others ?
I must chat with hundreds of customers a day, most of them women (hey it's a nice job when you think about it :))

Triple Bogey said:
Sci-Fi said:

I must chat with hundreds of customers a day, most of them women (hey it's a nice job when you think about it :))

Because she's probably shy! :club:

Take this from me, a woman who loves older men...I vividly remember being about 20 or so and falling for an older gentleman who worked in a furniture store (he was probably around late 40's/early 50's) - I used skulk around the store pretending to be looking at furniture, all the while making silly googly eyes at him and smiling like a twit...lol, I never did talk to him...still wish I had, after all these years. *sigh*

ringwood said:
Triple Bogey said:
Sci-Fi said:

Take this from me, a woman who loves older men...I vividly remember being about 20 or so and falling for an older gentleman who worked in a furniture store (he was probably around late 40's/early 50's) - I used skulk around the store pretending to be looking at furniture, all the while making silly googly eyes at him and smiling like a twit...lol, I never did talk to him...still wish I had, after all these years. *sigh*

well she definitely looks at the till area to see who is there like it's on her mind. She does it all the time. Is she looking to see if I'm there ? I don't know, maybe yes. I am 45 and she looks early 20's. I can't believe she likes me or finds me attractive in any way. It seems a stretch. I would think it's more she finds me ridiculous.

daughter of the moon said:
Yeah, maybe she's waiting for you to initiate a conversation.

possibly but it is hard because she doesn't come to my till, she always uses the self scan tills.

Triple Bogey said:
ringwood said:
Triple Bogey said:
Sci-Fi said:

well she definitely looks at the till area to see who is there like it's on her mind. She does it all the time. Is she looking to see if I'm there ? I don't know, maybe yes. I am 45 and she looks early 20's. I can't believe she likes me or finds me attractive in any way. It seems a stretch. I would think it's more she finds me ridiculous.

possibly but it is hard because she doesn't come to my till, she always uses the self scan tills.

Why don't you just wander over one day and ask if she needs help with anything? Working in a store, you must have to make chit-chat with people all the time, just do it and see what comes of it. Never know! And don't underestimate your attractiveness to the opposite sex, I've seen your picture, you look very nice. Besides, it's not up to you to decide if someone else finds you attractive, if they do, they do...just accept it and don't second-guess yourself.

ringwood said:
Triple Bogey said:
ringwood said:
Triple Bogey said:
Sci-Fi said:

Why don't you just wander over one day and ask if she needs help with anything? Working in a store, you must have to make chit-chat with people all the time, just do it and see what comes of it. Never know! And don't underestimate your attractiveness to the opposite sex, I've seen your picture, you look very nice. Besides, it's not up to you to decide if someone else finds you attractive, if they do, they do...just accept it and don't second-guess yourself.

well I do find talking to customers easy. I never shut up really, always talking and laughing with them. Everybody knows my name and we have a right laugh. I normally can talk to anybody. But this lass just makes it hard. She doesn't give me the opportunity, never really looks at me, it's always little glances, half smiles (or smirks). It is hard to talk to somebody who doesn't look at you. She gives a vibe of 'don't talk to me' - we have been looking at each other all year and never said a thing. I think she came to my till once and said something about the self scan tills so I gave her a bit of cheeky chat, made a few jokes but that's it. That was months ago. When we look at each other, I try to smile but even that is difficult for some reason.

Customers smile and say 'hello' all the time, they make it easy. She makes it very hard. But I will give it a go !

Trying to smile at her is difficult because she makes you nervous...But, yes, give it a go - reading your story, it sure seems to me that she's interested in you, just shy and doesn't know how to initiate the conversation. Keep us posted!!! :)

I would forget about this right away.. suppose it goes well and it turns out she likes you and it gets better from there... now, you're an employee dating a customer, could get you fired dude!

(inspired by another poster here :p )

Always throw out every chance in front of you, that's the way! :p

Batman55 said:
I would forget about this right away.. suppose it goes well and it turns out she likes you and it gets better from there... now, you're an employee dating a customer, could get you fired dude!

(inspired by another poster here :p )

Always throw out every chance in front of you, that's the way! :p

she could shop on my days off !
simple

There is this other woman, more around my age. She comes in on Saturdays. She always comes to my till. I can talk to her okay. She always says 'see you next week' - however when she walks in she doesn't glance at the till area and when she is walking around the shop she never looks at me at all. I take this as a sign she isn't interested and I am not on her radar at all.

I saw the young lass with a bloke, obviously her boyfriend.
So I am right, she smirks at me because she finds me amusing, somebody to laugh at.
I'm not bothered. If she is like that, then she isn't worth knowing. I won't be looking at her again.

The older one didn't come in. I was looking forward to wishing her a merry xmas. Didn't even get chance to do that. I know she isn't bothered, I am just a face behind a counter.
oh well

Triple Bogey said:
So I am right, she smirks at me because she finds me amusing, somebody to laugh at.
I'm not bothered. If she is like that, then she isn't worth knowing. I won't be looking at her again.

Why is it that you always think people are laughing at you?

Is it not possible she might find you attractive in some way, even if she is off-limits? Such things can and do happen.

Batman55 said:

Is it not possible she might find you attractive in some way, even if she is off-limits? Such things can and do happen.

Exactly. Plus you don't know for sure who this guy was, it could have been her brother, a cousin, a friend, anyone. Even if he is her boyfriend doesn't mean she can't flirt, she shouldn't but doesn't mean she can't.

Batman55 said:
Triple Bogey said:

I don't always, she is the only one. Nobody else is like that.

A young woman wouldn't find me attractive. Maybe somebody my age or older.

Sci-Fi said:
Batman55 said:

Exactly. Plus you don't know for sure who this guy was, it could have been her brother, a cousin, a friend, anyone. Even if he is her boyfriend doesn't mean she can't flirt, she shouldn't but doesn't mean she can't.

she doesn't flirt, just comes in eyeballs me and walks away with a smirk on her face. Pretty clear what's happening.

Loads of women are nice to me at work (customers) anyway. I shouldn't care about this young lass.

Triple Bogey said:
Batman55 said:
Triple Bogey said:

Why would you assume a younger woman wouldn't fancy you? One of my best friends is a man I used to date, fantastic guy and I think the world of him and I think he's one of the most attractive men I've ever met - he's 27 years older than me, we met when I was 29.

Attraction is one of those mysterious events that just happen...despite age differences. If you're attracted to someone, and they are to you, then age simply doesn't matter much.

ringwood said:
Triple Bogey said:
Batman55 said:
Triple Bogey said:

Why would you assume a younger woman wouldn't fancy you? One of my best friends is a man I used to date, fantastic guy and I think the world of him and I think he's one of the most attractive men I've ever met - he's 27 years older than me, we met when I was 29.

Attraction is one of those mysterious events that just happen...despite age differences. If you're attracted to someone, and they are to you, then age simply doesn't matter much.

all my assumptions are based on my life experiences.
It's not me being down on myself, it's what I see and sense.

Very well then, since you insist on seeing the dark side of things.

Why don't you just be up front with her one of these days and ask "are you laughing at me for some reason?" If yes, then tell her not to come back to the store. If no, then ask "do you find me attractive?" Then you take it from there.

I always have all the answers, y'know? :p

Latest posts

Back