Gift Giving

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shhhhh

Reaction score
I've always wanted to ask like minded people this question:

What do you feel about giving gifts to people?

For as long as I remember, I've always dreaded those gift giving holidays like Christmas. The thought of buying someone an item not knowing whether or not it's "good enough" creates a huge amount of anxiety for me. It's a real fear.

I've often avoided situations where gifts were exchanged which excluded me from being a part of certain circles. I've even had family members complain that I was selfish for not contributing in gift exchanges.

Don't get me wrong, I love buying people things. If someone tells me they like something, it's a joy for me to buy it for them. But when the gifting is blind or forced, anxiety takes over.

Does anyone feel the same way?

I never know what to buy, so I just make something yummy. But then I think..do people get tired of my desserts? :s
So, yes, gift-giving is hard.

Social phobias are irrational. That's the nature of the beast. It's not that I can't think of a gift. That's not the issue. It's the act of giving a gift and the anticipation of the event that creates anxiety.

Shhhhh said:
Don't get me wrong, I love buying people things. If someone tells me they like something, it's a joy for me to buy it for them. But when the gifting is blind or forced, anxiety takes over.

Totally. Problem pretty much solved in my family though, we all only get gifts for the children and then I randomly give a gift when I find something I know so-and-so just has to have. I love to gift but hate the forced nature of "occasions". I also do not want or expect gifts for birthdays/holidays etc.

I don't have any anxiety or problems about giving out gifts to my girlfriend, regular friend and family members for special occasions.

But the part that stresses me out about gift giving is what do I have to buy that person, to make him or her happy. You don't want to get your friend a certain hat, when he will not bother wearing it. Or worse, he may laugh behind your back about the gift that you purchased for him.

This is why I think opting to gift money is best. Unless someone tells me something specific or even in general, I don't shop around. I'm not going to either. It's not up to me to know what someone wants. They want something - they need to open their mouths and say it. I know I'd rather just receive a 20 anyway instead of something I have no use for or junk I don't want around.

I love giving gifts to people I know. I'm actually pretty awesome at picking out the perfect gift.

What I do NOT like about gift giving is giving them the gift when there are a lot of people around.

I rarely give material gifts to anybody, let alone on special occasions. I'm never asking for stuff either, but I'm getting things anyway which puts me in a bit of a jam. So I tried to offer "gifts that keep on giving" instead. In the past I handed out vouchers to my parents for mowing the lawn a dozen times or doing dishes for instance. :p

I'm afraid of picking out something as well, so I just hope people tell me their requests. Sometimes I believe I know people well enough to pick the right thing...but mostly I think too myself that I can only go wrong with whatever I pick.

I like to give gifts of things I know people want or something that is fun but they just wouldnt spend the money buying for themselves

I HATE receiving gifts ... do not like that attention

Shhhhh said:

For as long as I remember, I've always dreaded those gift giving holidays like Christmas. The thought of buying someone an item not knowing whether or not it's "good enough" creates a huge amount of anxiety for me. It's a real fear.

I've often avoided situations where gifts were exchanged which excluded me from being a part of certain circles. I've even had family members complain that I was selfish for not contributing in gift exchanges.

Yeah i can really relate, i enjoy getting things for people too but i ALWAYS feel like its not good enough no matter what it is. I really dread gift giving too and its made me just about hate most holidays because of it. I think in my own particular case as weird as it sounds mine is a bi product of low self esteem because a gift represents a part of who you are and a lot of times i dont feel like im good enough so the gifts i pick probably wont be good enough either. But i think a lot of times the good decent people only care that you took the time to think about them and thats the main thing i think. I just try to remind myself of that. And if somebody is greedy and they only care about what im buying them then well screw that person let them buy their own **** gifts lol.

TheLonelyNomad said:
I don't have any anxiety or problems about giving out gifts to my girlfriend, regular friend and family members for special occasions.

But the part that stresses me out about gift giving is what do I have to buy that person, to make him or her happy. You don't want to get your friend a certain hat, when he will not bother wearing it. Or worse, he may laugh behind your back about the gift that you purchased for him.

That's exactly how I feel sometimes. Is my gift good enough.

shadetree said:
Shhhhh said:

Yeah i can really relate, i enjoy getting things for people too but i ALWAYS feel like its not good enough no matter what it is. I really dread gift giving too and its made me just about hate most holidays because of it. I think in my own particular case as weird as it sounds mine is a bi product of low self esteem because a gift represents a part of who you are and a lot of times i dont feel like im good enough so the gifts i pick probably wont be good enough either. But i think a lot of times the good decent people only care that you took the time to think about them and thats the main thing i think. I just try to remind myself of that. And if somebody is greedy and they only care about what im buying them then well screw that person let them buy their own **** gifts lol.

What I tend to do is purchase a gift that is inappropriately expensive just to make sure it's gift worthy. Ugh.

I can tell myself that it doesn't matter what people think, but the mind is hard to convince.

My family are notoriously difficult, so I found the best way was to give them gift cards. Gift cards can be in multiples of £10 upwards so the choice is anyone's. Mine adore nice tea or fab coffee, so knowing what their likings were, ordered some luscious stuff for three of them from Imperial Teas, Lincoln, and added a caddy or two. Everybody - happy!

I even ordered some tea for myself. Glad I did! It was delish. :p

I always ask before hand what each person wants.
I have bought presents for women, some I was seeing at the time. Never ever got thanked. And soon after I got dumped. I usually get the presents back and then give them to women at work. In fact it's a running joke. They say 'Can you meet somebody and then after they leave you, I can have the perfume you got them for Christmas !'

I love gifts but I don't like surprises. but then again I like to surprise people with different kind of gifts. Gifts that they can't possibly imagine :p
But yeah, there is always a doubt about being gift might not be worthy for specific person but hey it's not the gift that counts it's the person counts who is giving them, don't you think?

I love giving gifts when I have the freedom to do so when i want. It surprises the recipient and It's more special that way. What I don't like doing is being forced to give gifts because society dictates that I have to, to mark a day that doesn't mean much to me and I will look a complete ******* if I dont.

Latest posts

Back