Girls and books: like? No like?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who cares if some dude thinks a girl knows too much... Gain all the knowledge possible, because that's what sticks with you for your life. Not the dude who told you that you knew too much. Read on. I know I will.

Peaches said:
Question for the guys:
as someone who many times saw a guy disappear after he saw my 5 meters x 3 bookshelves, (and no, they are pretty normal books, no sodomy etc :D) are an overabundance of books a turnoff for you, even if a person is not overall bookish?

First of all, Peaches, take comfort in the fact that you, as a reading woman, are in the majority. More women read books than men. I know from experience as I worked at a bookstore. Most men are niche readers, usually choosing non-fiction or sports, whereas most women will buy books in almost every fiction genre available. It's no coincidence that Oprah Winfrey's book club (on US television) was targeted to a female audience because they are the majority of readers in the States.

Anyway, any man who tells a woman that she "knows too much" is a man who wants an idiot for a wife. However, any learned woman, any well-read woman, will always intimidate guys who want to act superior to them, and these women are FAR better off looking for their romantic considerations elsewhere.

Whenever I look for a dating partner, book reading is a huge turn-on for me. The bigger the bookshelves, the greater the vocabulary usage, the more she knows, the more turned on I get. I like to be challenged intellectually, and I love it when a woman can tell me things she's read that I might like. I love it when she knows things that are outside of my own experiences. That, to me, is living. Consequently, if I see a woman who never reads, owns no books, never goes to bookstores to browse, has no favorite book or author, I don't care how hot she is because she is not interesting to me. I value people who like to read very highly, and will accept no substitutes.

Fortunately, I've known many women who are attractive, who are voracious readers, and who are also quite intelligent, so I am thankful for their existence, and I hope to, one day, find one who will have me. :D

ardour said:
A boring person who has no interest in history, literature and philosophy, but something doesn't seem right about reading while showing zero interest in others either. Since there's usually plenty of opportunity to read at home, on the bus etc., why make yourself continually unavailable in the brief pockets of time where conversation is possible then complain about loneliness!?

I remember your thread on this topic last year. I can't say this viewpoint makes much sense to me. That's alright though, we don't have to agree.

EveWasFramed said:
I like to read. I don't give a rat's furry ass if that intimidates anyone or makes them think I'm a geek.

Naw, we think you're a geek for other reasons Evie :D

I know what's coming....
Db1ij2.jpg

... I'm ready.

I used to have tons and tons of books. And I used to have to move them every year when I would move away. Unless they are nonfiction or reference type books I don't really keep them anymore. I have a decent kindle collection going for the fiction though. They just take up a lot of space and, unless a fiction book is one of my favorites, I won't keep it.

Having a lot of books wouldn't really turn me off though. It would be annoying if I noticed most of them never being read. Then I'd rather to give them away or throw them out. Use the space for something else.

WildernessWildChild said:
EveWasFramed said:
I like to read. I don't give a rat's furry ass if that intimidates anyone or makes them think I'm a geek.

I know what's coming....
Db1ij2.jpg

... I'm ready.

Well at least his balls will be prepared for battle.

WildernessWildChild said:
EveWasFramed said:

:club: lol, smart man. He knew he'd get a clubbing for that. :p

Case said:
First of all, Peaches, take comfort in the fact that you, as a reading woman, are in the majority. More women read books than men. I know from experience as I worked at a bookstore. Most men are niche readers, usually choosing non-fiction or sports, whereas most women will buy books in almost every fiction genre available.

ehm, I think it's the non-fiction that scares them… ok, I should post a picture of some bookshelves, with a poll: do you feel uneasy in front of these books? :D

Case, I think lots of women would have you, hope that you find the right one!

I would find it appealing of the woman liked books. Speaking of people recoiling at the sight of books I had one experience when a male friend saw my bookshelf and reacted in much the same way a vampire would at the sight of a crucifix it was quite funny.

I think a lot of people male and female can be intimidated by intelligence or symbols of intelligence, they see books and they freak, of course the books could be anything but they symbolize thinking and that is all that matters I guess.

lol I did have main kampf at some point but it was more for the historical value :D

the last "serious" one that I got is this

http://www.bruno-latour.fr/node/4

and I have lots of books for work, some with pretty images of art and design

but I also have comics, literature, spirituality etc

I did have a great Gothic collection but it's at my mother's place atm

I used to be involved with a girl who practiced Wicca, had books tucked in every and any crevice in her apartment. I was initially surprised that she read all those and how she turned out to be worldly/intelligent than she led on. I find the most intelligent people I ever met were usually not very posturing or arrogant.

Despite I don't share the same drive and enthusiasm on various subjects we seemed to really make it work for a time.

Perhaps some people just think books are too archaic in this era ruled by social media, and the latest iPhone and Android talk. I know several people who would be driven away by books simply for that reason.

Solivagant said:
ardour said:
barky said:
Another reason that comes to mind is because of what we associate with reading - quiet, shy, introverted.

..possibly also elitist, snobby etc. But maybe that says more about me.

That makes me sad that someone would presume I was elitist and snobby because I like to read. :( That happened when I was in high school; I was hoping adults would have a little more sense.

A grave miscalculation...

If you have twilight on your shelf it would be an instant turn off. I think we need to see a picture of these books!

Peaches said:
Question for the guys:
as someone who many times saw a guy disappear after he saw my 5 meters x 3 bookshelves, (and no, they are pretty normal books, no sodomy etc :D) are an overabundance of books a turnoff for you, even if a person is not overall bookish?

:0

If I was a guy, I'd totally date you. :0
That's like heaven, books!

An advice from a librarian... Date a librarian! Like that, the chance of him leaving after seeing that would be minimalized. Unless there is dust on your books. Or bad books. Or books badly taken care of. Or stolen books. And most of all, if he gets to see you have overdue library books, then forget it! Such disrespectful punks, those who dont return books on time :/

In ALL my relationships I find that men don't want me to know anything. Sorry.

- At work, my boss can sit there and request solutions to a problem and if you give one... you get your head taken off. Only if you are a woman. Everyone remarks on it.

- Family, my brother cannot exist unless he knows all and is right. When he is wrong, he forgets. But he always believes he is right even when I am the resident expert on the issue.

- I am on my condo board and the property manager seems to believe his job is to tell fantasy stories that make no sense. It would be so much easier if we all just said "oh" which seems to be what he is expecting. When we say we don't believe him, he gets all offended. When the lone male on the board questions something -- he gets the answer.

It is beyond rare for me to find any man who doesn't want me to just say "oh" and mostly if they want to actually hear my thoughts they are younger. I find younger guys much more interested in my brains. Perhaps because they haven't formed their opinions yet and are open to learning.

Latest posts

Back