Give me reason, take me higher

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngryKoreanMan

Reaction score
I'm ******* lost and i have been for the whole of 2011.

i'm 20 years old and about to graduate with a BSc mid June 2012. My friends rarely contact me unless its to play computer games which i don't even play any more. I don't go out at all as i'm basically out of the loop. I don't use Facebook because seeing other people doing so well kinda puts me in a funk. I don't even have my drivers license (although i am learning). I used to be an avid outdoors man prior to 2011 but then everybody started going clubbing and various night activities involving drinking that don't interest me mainly due to my low alcohol tolerance and refusal to drink. Family is very dysfunctional so that's another downer. I am not even certain if i can land a job with no prior work experience and mediocre grades (~66% aggregate). Lately this loss of purpose has become quite concerning to me, I don't do anything at home besides play guitar, the occasional video game or sometimes i'll just sit by the window watching the wheels go round and round for hours at a time which has lasted for 3 months!

Everyday feels like time is running out (muse) but what do i do when the thrill is gone(BB king)!?

I grew up believing in the cliche american dream even though i'm australian. But that seems very unrealistic. I feel like a broken down husk of a man that is directionless, purposeless, senseless etc.

What can i do when i have no purpose to motivate me?? where can i find truth??

I'm even considering pouring lye on my hand like ed norton did in fight club just to feel something

Well don't do the lye thing!!!!
Welcome and hugs to you.

Life is shitty, and nobody can tell you to be happy, it is easier said than done. however it is in you, you have the power to make or break.

Find a 'strength' and grab onto it. and build it up... to take you to a place of contentment. it will happen.

-me

Welcome to the forums. I'm not going to pretend I know how to help you but I can say that sometimes it's helpful just to vent your frustration, get it out there, have someone listen, and talk. Occasionally you'll get a nugget of wisdom that can help you turn your situation around, but just releasing that frustration is a good feeling in of itself.

Also going to add that the American dream is falling apart for our generation, in America and apparently elsewhere. It sucks to feel like your senior year of college is an agonizing limbo rather than a year of accomplishment and opportunity.

I'm somewhat in the same boat (20, graduating this summer), so if you need to vent or PM, feel free to do so.

You are getting down on yourself because your friends interests have changed. With the exception of not being as avid a video game player you used to be, the things you enjoy seem to be the same. You still enjoy the outdoors right? Stop beating yourself up so much. :) From what you said it seems like you don't do the stuff you used to enjoy because you have no one else to do them with. See if there are any outdoors clubs or something of the like that you can join or get involved in. Then you can meet like minded people who enjoy the same things you do.

I'm going mad contemplating my loss of purpose and feel as if i may adhere to 'Fight Club' philosophies.

I feel as if i need to fight, a desire to fight for something. But what could that be?

I seem to have a contrived desire to be born in a non -1st world country where everyday is a struggle but that just makes me sound like an ungrateful insincere ******

@Sci-Fi
I've tried that to no avail. However you've just given me an idea which is to go bear grylls survivalist style in the Aussie outback

AngryKoreanMan said:
I'm going mad contemplating my loss of purpose and feel as if i may adhere to 'Fight Club' philosophies.

I feel as if i need to fight, a desire to fight for something. But what could that be?

I seem to have a contrived desire to be born in a non -1st world country where everyday is a struggle but that just makes me sound like an ungrateful insincere ******

@Sci-Fi
I've tried that to no avail. However you've just given me an idea which is to go bear grylls survivalist style in the Aussie outback

http://www.aussurvivalist.com/survivalcourses.htm

http://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Step away from the lye...you can simplify your life, become a survivalist, sign up for martial arts courses, climb a mountain, camp out, become a bad ass if you feel like it. Nothing to stop you, what is there to lose?

I didn't get my license until a month before I turned 21. I had no desire to drive.

Graduating can be a very stressful period in your life. It's something to strive to do but then when it happens you suddenly lose any friends you might have had as everyone moves off to get a job.

I don't know, angrykorean. Sounds to me like you're battling thoughts from within. The real fight is within yourself.

If you just bypass the lye thing and start kicking the honeysuckle out of yourself would that not be enough?

Lonely in BC said:
If you just bypass the lye thing and start kicking the honeysuckle out of yourself would that not be enough?

I suppose so, but i'm afraid i might go too far.
I don't know my own limits

I went on a hike today and accidentally cut my leg on a thorn bush. Didn't bother patching it up because i had no band aids and i don't have hemophilia. When i got home my mum thought i was attacked lawl

Life is a struggle already; the fact that you're not accomplishing all of your goals is quite indictive of that. Perhaps you should just reevaluate what you feel is ultimately important and by those goals, decide on your purpose.

IgnoredOne said:
Life is a struggle already; the fact that you're not accomplishing all of your goals is quite indictive of that. Perhaps you should just reevaluate what you feel is ultimately important and by those goals, decide on your purpose.

Good advice, I would say. Focus on what's ultimately important, and, really, don't beat yourself up. Be good to yourself. Remind you that booze is a depressant, so you really should try to curb your drinking if you can. If you can't, you might think about contacting a recovery program. I once attended an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in London, so I'm sure that there's an AA meeting around your area. This could be a good, first step.

Latest posts

Back