Hello!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brown Jenkin

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member here just checking in.

I'm a 29-year-old woman, divorced about 4 years ago and no meaningful relationship with a man since. I moved to a different city almost 3 years ago and have a few acquaintances here but no close friends. I live alone and try to keep busy with hobbies. However I am not depressed or anxious, at least not yet, and I'm lucky to be in good health.

I'm not sure how or when it happened but I'd consider myself your basic loner. I do most things and go most places alone, or else I wouldn't ever do anything or get out at all. Usually it doesn't bother me but once in a while I wish I just had someone to DO things with or plain old TALK TO about my day or some random thing.

This seems like a friendly forum. Hope everyone's day is going well. :)

Hello Miss Jenkin, welcome to the forum!

You appear cheerful, i'm sure you're fun to talk to/hang out with. :) Enjoy your time here, and don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything!

Thanks everyone. My main hobby is reading, I read like most people watch television. My apartment is tiny with no outside area but lately I've been trying to grow a few plants. I knit and do other random arts and crafts if they occur to me.

I love to write and receive letters, so I write 2 guys with life sentences in prison. This is very rewarding and something I would suggest that others who are lonely also consider doing. I've been doing this for almost three years now, so if you have questions about that you can ask me.

I volunteer once a week at a place called Books to Prisoners, that sends books to people who are incarcerated. When I started writing to the guys and hearing about the conditions and the general for-profit prison/legal system in America, I wanted to do something to help them out, so that gets me out of the house and it's always an interesting group of people who show up there.

Like I said I love to write letters and get mail, ever since I was a kid I've been like that. There are a lot of websites listing inmates wanting pen pals, so I browsed until I found a person I thought I'd get along with. The first one I wrote wasn't on a life sentence, but he was half way across the country, and also I use a post office box so I wasn't worried about him showing up at my door or anything like that. I figured I like to write, and prisoners are a captive audience who are pretty much guaranteed to write back, and they've also led interesting lives and have stories to tell. The first one I wrote has since been released from prison and I don't hear from him any more, but it was a great experience so I decided to keep doing it.

A lot of the prisoners are on there looking for romance or for someone to send money and support them but most are just genuinely bored, more or less normal people who made too many bad choices usually related to drug addiction. Once you have their name and inmate number you can look up their criminal history and decide for yourself. If they ask you for money, or anything you don't want to do or send, just ignore the request or politely say no.

Welcome, our stories line up for the most post.

I got Divorced and then moved to a new town for a new job all since Jan this year. I am far from family so I don't have anyone to hang out and do things with. I found this site just to find people to talk to and do something other than talk to my dogs. I am no depressed or suffer any medical condition just the new guy in a very unwelcoming town (to anyone). People I have talked to said they been here 20-40 years and still struggle as an outsider. If you like to chat feel free to inbox me, I'm always looking for someone to talk to.

Brown Jenkin said:
Like I said I love to write letters and get mail, ever since I was a kid I've been like that. There are a lot of websites listing inmates wanting pen pals, so I browsed until I found a person I thought I'd get along with. The first one I wrote wasn't on a life sentence, but he was half way across the country, and also I use a post office box so I wasn't worried about him showing up at my door or anything like that. I figured I like to write, and prisoners are a captive audience who are pretty much guaranteed to write back, and they've also led interesting lives and have stories to tell. The first one I wrote has since been released from prison and I don't hear from him any more, but it was a great experience so I decided to keep doing it.

A lot of the prisoners are on there looking for romance or for someone to send money and support them but most are just genuinely bored, more or less normal people who made too many bad choices usually related to drug addiction. Once you have their name and inmate number you can look up their criminal history and decide for yourself. If they ask you for money, or anything you don't want to do or send, just ignore the request or politely say no.

That sounds really really cool. As long as you are careful, keep your personal information away (just in case) and as long as you know what you are doing.

ladyforsaken said:
That sounds really really cool. As long as you are careful, keep your personal information away (just in case) and as long as you know what you are doing.

Definitely. Some have asked for my phone number or email address and I just said no thanks, I only like to write, and that was the end of it. More than anything they just want someone to talk to who is not in prison, and who leads a normal life doing everyday stuff. I don't feel in any danger over it whatsoever.

One cool thing is a lot of the prisoners do artwork of different kinds, and if you become friends with them they could possibly send you a lot of neat art. And it's nice to get a birthday card that isn't from your immediate family.

Brown Jenkin said:
Definitely. Some have asked for my phone number or email address and I just said no thanks, I only like to write, and that was the end of it. More than anything they just want someone to talk to who is not in prison, and who leads a normal life doing everyday stuff. I don't feel in any danger over it whatsoever.

One cool thing is a lot of the prisoners do artwork of different kinds, and if you become friends with them they could possibly send you a lot of neat art. And it's nice to get a birthday card that isn't from your immediate family.

That sounds rather awesome, I would say. I know what you mean really. I think in a way it also helps you, because it probably does make you feel good helping someone else feel better. Not sure if that is how it's like for you but I would think so. :)

Welcome! You sound like a friendly person! But, I suppose we are all alone for our reasons.

Brown Jenkin said:
Hi everyone, new member here just checking in.

I'm a 29-year-old woman, divorced about 4 years ago and no meaningful relationship with a man since. I moved to a different city almost 3 years ago and have a few acquaintances here but no close friends. I live alone and try to keep busy with hobbies. However I am not depressed or anxious, at least not yet, and I'm lucky to be in good health.

I'm not sure how or when it happened but I'd consider myself your basic loner. I do most things and go most places alone, or else I wouldn't ever do anything or get out at all. Usually it doesn't bother me but once in a while I wish I just had someone to DO things with or plain old TALK TO about my day or some random thing.

This seems like a friendly forum. Hope everyone's day is going well. :)

hi, I'm here feel free to PM me, almost the same age!

msudave said:
Welcome, our stories line up for the most post.

I got Divorced and then moved to a new town for a new job all since Jan this year. I am far from family so I don't have anyone to hang out and do things with. I found this site just to find people to talk to and do something other than talk to my dogs. I am no depressed or suffer any medical condition just the new guy in a very unwelcoming town (to anyone). People I have talked to said they been here 20-40 years and still struggle as an outsider. If you like to chat feel free to inbox me, I'm always looking for someone to talk to.

my town is the same.

Latest posts

Back