Help

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sean

Well it's late at night, 2 AM, I can't sleep, so I decided to search around on the internet about depression.

And I came upon this site.

I really think it's important for me to talk to somebody about my problems, and possibly get advice.

Okay well to start.. lately, or rather for a while now, I have not felt very interested in life. Everything seems rather pointless, I have no motivation, I have no hobbies, I have no motivation to try new hobbies..

Going out with the friends i'm still sort of close with feels like a chore.. I'd rather stay at home where I feel 'safe'. I mostly entertain myself by television and computer games. Probably because I can just zone out and not think. Usually I just stay in my room and use my computer.. I don't really like to be with other people.

I have just recently graduated from Highschool, and i'm kind of worried about my future. Like I said above, I have no interests.. I don't have any motivation to go to University.. I don't see myself having any type of typical future like - go to university, meet a nice girl, get a job, buy a house in the suberbs, have children -

Highschool was terrible for me.. I suffer(ed) from intestinal problems.. I won't go into details.. anyways it was often embaressing for me (sometimes having to leave the class several times to use the toilet).. worrying about this problem turned into irrational fears and anxiety.. i worried all the time what people thought about me, i withdrew from friends I was once close with.. my self esteem/confidence suffered.... My grades suffered because I just stopped caring and lost hope.. I barely graduated.

I went to two different doctors.. both seemed to think there was nothing wrong with me physically.. and that it was just in my head.

Later I tried alternative medical treatment.. Natropathy. I'm fairly certain this helped me.

Lately it's not as unbearable as in Highschool.. but the anxiety/fears are still there. I have come to realize that they're irrational.. and it's easier sometimes to calm myself down. I usually get stressed/anxious when I try new things/meet new people/go new places. So I avoid those things.

Anyways, that's just a little medical background.

I just feel kind of empty, without a purpose, wasting what little potential I have by just sitting around all day doing nothing.

I want to change.. I want to do something great with my life.. I want to be social.. meet friends who respect me.. and don't use or take advantage of me.

But I don't know how. Please help.

Note: I did work part-time for two and a half years. I recently quit (3 months ago).

Note2: I forgot to add that I have little or no appetite, I can go many many hours without eating food.. and I do not feel hungry.

@Sean

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who make things happen, those who wait for things to happen, and those who ask what happened. Now the article I got this from made the latter two sound a bit negative but for me, they're just personality traits and everyone's different because we're all special.

You seem to be more like the one that waits for things to happen. It's perfectly alright if you know what you're gonna deal with. You're more like the kind of person that goes with the flow so you have to accept that or change with commitment.

I'm pretty sure you'll make the right choices in the future. It's not all over right! You will find your purpose. You can try doing different things to find out what you're really into. No one born into this world is without a purpose.

Hello Sean,

In the first place, I have to agree with Yukhi. No one is born into this world without a purpose. Maybe, just a thought, you can begin with writing your thoughts down. Write a plan for your own life. Write your main problem down (this, you already done here) and put a main goal of yourself opposite of it. Then begin naming achievable subgoals that help achieve your main goal in life. Last thing is to think about the resources you need to accomplish your goal.

Know, that you're just at the beginning. Another thought is that having a degree gives you certainty for the future. Maybe this can be your first goal to motivate yourself and to be focused in your own way to get a university degree.

These are just ideas and I wish you all the best in your life.

Go to the University, build a future .. if the others dont like it, fresia em.

Everything is better with educational sucess. I wish I had your age again :|

drifter said:
Go to the University, build a future .. if the others dont like it, fresia em.

Everything is better with educational sucess. I wish I had your age again :|

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted above.. I will think about what you all have suggested.

To reply to this specifically.. I do realize it is important for me to chance my additude a little bit.. and not care so much of what people think about me.

I do agree that everything can be better with educational sucess..

But money and sucess is not the key to happiness.

I would like to eventually go to University, after upgrading my grades :(
But even after I have better grades.. there's really no point for me to take random courses.. if I have no passion for the subject.. I won't have any motivation to do well.

You sound like you're in a rut Sean, and I've felt like you have.

I just feel kind of empty, without a purpose, wasting what little potential I have by just sitting around all day doing nothing.

I want to change.. I want to do something great with my life.. I want to be social.. meet friends who respect me.. and don't use or take advantage of me.

If you don't find a purpose for yourself, then you will have none.
I don't believe that we all have some God-given "purpose" from birth, but rather we all have the opportunity to FIND a purpose for ourselves.

I'm still trying to find something that I am passionate about - and it is not easy. Really, what I found to help was to kick my own ass into actually DOING things. There were many times where I instead just simply wanted to sleep or spend countless hours on the internet doing the same old, but I signed up for classes and forced myself to take up hobbies.

You say you lack motivation...but if you want change badly enough - that itself is enough motivation if you're willing to do the work to get that change in your life. It's not going to be easy, but you've got to give yourself a chance.

And with friends - I do not have any real life friends.
If they can't treat me good, they don't deserve me.
"So-called" friends are a dime a dozen...very rare is it to find a genuine friend that cares for you. Always look for yourself first, because others may not look out for you.

You can do it!
The arrival of some struggles and difficulties will be out of your control...but you just gotta hang in there and fight.

Luna said:
You sound like you're in a rut Sean, and I've felt like you have.

If you don't find a purpose for yourself, then you will have none.
I don't believe that we all have some God-given "purpose" from birth, but rather we all have the opportunity to FIND a purpose for ourselves.

I'm still trying to find something that I am passionate about - and it is not easy. Really, what I found to help was to kick my own ass into actually DOING things. There were many times where I instead just simply wanted to sleep or spend countless hours on the internet doing the same old, but I signed up for classes and forced myself to take up hobbies.

You say you lack motivation...but if you want change badly enough - that itself is enough motivation if you're willing to do the work to get that change in your life. It's not going to be easy, but you've got to give yourself a chance.

And with friends - I do not have any real life friends.
If they can't treat me good, they don't deserve me.
"So-called" friends are a dime a dozen...very rare is it to find a genuine friend that cares for you. Always look for yourself first, because others may not look out for you.

You can do it!
The arrival of some struggles and difficulties will be out of your control...but you just gotta hang in there and fight.

:D, I would love to find something that i'm passionate about.
The thing I live for.
Many people I know have amazing talents and are great at one thing or another. And I guess I still have to figure that out.

I know the reason is because I haven't tried many things, but it's so hard to force myself to do things.
There are a few things I do like.. I know i'm pretty good at bowling.. and I like to sing :D (I love glee)

Right now I have to stop thinking so negatively, worrying about what people think of me.. and just take one day at a time.

Well.. luckily I do still have one good friend who has stuck by with me through all this honeysuckle.. unfortunately he's moving to New York in September.

@the '"friends" using' comment.. I was home alone for a month.. and got some of my school acquaintances to invite people over for several parties. I was basically just used for my house. Oh well, I did meet people and have fun. I'm not as boring/akward when i'm buzzed/drunk haha.

This will be difficult..

Wandering stranger said:
Ah ha! see sean you seem like you're doing much better then before brochacho! keep up the spirits man

Thanks everyone for the support :).

Yes, keep it up Sean! When you set your mind to something, you will surely succeed! I must say I fully agree with Luna.

You say that you're good at bowling and singing. That is a start man! Try to take it a step further to think about what kind of profession you would like or something else concrete where you can fall back on financially. I hope you will find something.

Keep in mind that we are made for the adventure and what drifter already said!

Asterli said:
Yes, keep it up Sean! When you set your mind to something, you will surely succeed! I must say I fully agree with Luna.

You say that you're good at bowling and singing. That is a start man! Try to take it a step further to think about what kind of profession you would like or something else concrete where you can fall back on financially. I hope you will find something.

Keep in mind that we are made for the adventure and what drifter already said!

Hahaha I didn't say i'm good at singing, but that doesn't stop me :D.

I've definately been doing better since joining here.

Started playing Tennis, since yesterday.

Atleast i'm getting out of the house for a reason besides going to buy food lol.

Looks like your signature is right :) Anyways, I wish the best for you in finding a university and hopefully landing a good job.

Latest posts

Back