Hmm

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I get lonely like that I visit websites that are written by a person (which in essence is every website out there, but enough of that) so, though I'm unsure on the policy for linking other websites on this website, I visit one that many people must know, called TVtropes. Since that place is essentially made out of bulletpoints that several if not hundreds of people work on, and you can run a search for something that interests you I.E a game you like, it's almost as if the people there are talking to you, albeit indirectly.

A sad fact about me is I don't actually need to talk to anyone to feel socially happy again, just read stuff other people have written or yeah, listen to someone else talking. This causes some problems with my girlfriend when I'm in a shitty mood because I don't need to express my feelings about it, which can make her feel that I'm shut off to our relationship or at worse pushing her away, but, another story.

Generally when I'm lonely/depressed, which is often admittedly, I find other things to focus myself on and become absorbed by...since I don't drink, do drugs or smoke, stress relief/ease of forgetting troubles is somewhat complicated for me, but I can easily get drawn into stuff like video games (how original ¬_¬), books, movies and website articles. If I do need to express myself, I find an inlet such as this forum (though I'm fairly new here, right now, I have others) that can then function as an outlet, when I reply to other people I feel I can level with.

I understand what you are saying though. I rarely speak to people in reality and when I do a lot of the times they brush off what I've said or simply pretend not to hear it, which leaves me feeling a little crushed, like you, that they're not interested/simply don't care. Plenty of times I've started expressing a wish and ended up saying nevermind and walking away because it just feels pointless.

I can't make friends over the internet either, mostly because I'm unwilling to let anything that could be considered important footholds for a friendship to blossom ever get revealed, unless the person I'm talking to shares unique qualities. The last "friend" I made over the internet was around 2008, discovered through his admiration of my ability to know game character quotes of his particular fancy..we ended up having a little quote battle and, well all was good. Then we talked about the game we were both playing at the time (RuneScape) and how we were essentially polar opposites, him being combat and wealth driven and me being skills and overall experience driven. Anyway that isn't relevant.

I mean, your name should be a big give-away as to why you can't make friendships over the internet. I know nothing about you and I'm not about to make any judgements, but spend some time reading about people, possibly dip into the "about me" section on this website (assuming there is on) and resist the urge to reply if you get it, and consider how you think about the people you meet, perhaps that's the reason you don't make friends, because you're not willing to give them a chance as such. Who knows. You may be boring, you may be lame, but that's never stopped people from having friends..there's plenty of other lame/boring people for them to be friends with too. :)

Latest posts

Back