Honesty

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gutted

Reaction score
To what extent do you think a person should be honest?

I've noticed that whilst most people want you to be honest to them, if you're honest in a negative way, they react poorly.

I find that I am not that openly honest to most people because I know it will offend them. This is despite that fact that I would only say what I say to push them forward.

Am I not right in thinking that sometimes you have to be harsh to get people to do the right thing?

This place is a fine example. I would like to be more honest to people on here sometimes, in an attempt to help them do better for themselves. But I'm certain I will just find myself penalized for doing so. I have already gained some enemies on here because they don't like my honest opinion.

So honesty. Good or bad?

I think it also depends how you phrase any honest feedback. If you bluntly point out a problem people with take offense and become defensive, if you try and be constructive, sensitive then I hopefully people will think about what you've said.

Yeah, I think it's mainly the way you word things and put it out. You can be blunt and honest and sensitive at the same time. People will more likely sense your sincerity there. However, depending on situations and person, sometimes being brutally honest can also help to wake people up. Gotta weigh the situation and person really.

Honesty to me is very important. People i care for i try to be 100% honest to, and because i care for said people, i make sure to say it in a way that should not offend them.

People can still react quite negatively towards honesty, but i believe that you have done the best you can by telling the honest truth, you have done your part, and how other people take that answer, is all up to them.

I agree with Rosebolt and the others. It is the way you phrase your opinion of people. I always found that honesty makes social interactions much easier. For you- and for the others. Personally I would prefer that you are honest with me (in a polite way, is possible), than treat me with false "friendliness". In french that would be called a "faux cul".

I prefer honesty above all else. In return, if I find someone's honest opinion annoying, I will honestly tell them so.

That said, honesty need not be harsh or mean. It can be delivered with tact and with care. One who is harshly honest cares just as little as one who lies tenderly. The former doesn't truly care for another's well-being, as it is easy to tell the truth if you do not care about the emotions of the people you subject to it. The latter cares only for their good relationship with the people around them, as it is easy to be loved if you do not care about the shattering effects of a lie.

And, sure, I personally value a hurtful truth over any lie, but it would be a lie to say the harsh truth comes from any place of love and care.

Doubt The Rabbit said:
And, sure, I personally value a hurtful truth over any lie, but it would be a lie to say the harsh truth comes from any place of love and care.

Would it be a lie if the harsh truth comes from a place where one genuinely cares for that person and wants that person to wake up and open their eyes? I think harsh truth may or may not come from one who loves and cares for the person. Depends on situation or relationship between them, I think.

perfanoff said:
People prefer sweet lies than the harsh truth.

Or sweet honesty. Nothing wrong with a little sugar coating. Kicking in the ass as some people in this current generation seem to like to do, doesn't help as much as they think.

Honesty is a good rule of thumb, but...

Sometimes people know what they need to do and don't need to be told, and dislike it being pointed out to them again. People also have every right to dislike an opinion or manner of speech and honesty doesn't grant it immunity.

Let me practice being honest.

I think I have lost interest in ALL because i have friends in real life now.

SophiaGrace said:

We forgive you; be healthy and happy. :p

SophiaGrace said:

So glad for you :) There's a lot more fun things to be done in real life than on a forum after all :p

I've found that most people are not interested in honesty. They are not interested in either giving it or receiving it. I suppose you should be as honest as you can while protecting your interests.

Latest posts

Back