House swapping or couch surfing?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done house swapping or used these websites like airbnb and couch surfing?

As a person with low social skills, and also someone who needs a lot of rest I find it quite challenging, and I was curious to hear about others' experiences, if you found a way to enjoy these things and give in to adventure in spite of limitations.

Unless there is financial gain, don't do it.

If, however, it's just for a bit of fun just because you have watched some fancy programme on TV, then go through an agency - because they will hold good references and police checks on their clients. You may have to pay a fee for this.

Alternatively, if you want your '15 minutes of fame' (quoting Andy Warhole), contact the television company you might have got the idea from.

SophiaGrace has a very valid point. Personally, I wouldn't give house room to any house swapper or couch surfer unless they were Royalty, and even then I'd have second thoughts. :/

I would be very, very wary as well. You could end up in a bad situation. As a woman alone I wouldn't do it.

SophiaGrace said:
sounds like a quick way to either get raped or become homeless.

?! No!!!! Look at couch surfing.com , it's actually pretty safe - I know dozens and dozens of people who do it regularly without any problem at all, but they are all very outgoing, I did myself airbnb (renting a room in my house to strangers) a few times, but I found it emotionally taxing. On the other hand, I sublet an apartment in which I wasn't leaving maybe 40? times and everything went well.
There are reputation systems and you can choose who comes/where to go, it's not like that. Someone I know (girl, 29) travelled all around the world with couchsurfing. If you don't know it, you should really give it a try.

My concern was just having to chat with the owners all the time :D but if you never did airbnb or couchsurf then you don't have experience about that problem.

http://www.airbnb.com
http://www.couchsurfing.com/

Peaches said:
SophiaGrace said:
sounds like a quick way to either get raped or become homeless.

?! No!!!! Look at couch surfing.com , it's actually pretty safe - I know dozens and dozens of people who do it regularly without any problem at all, but they are all very outgoing, I did myself airbnb (renting a room in my house to strangers) a few times, but I found it emotionally taxing. On the other hand, I sublet an apartment in which I wasn't leaving maybe 40? times and everything went well.
There are reputation systems and you can choose who comes/where to go, it's not like that. Someone I know (girl, 29) travelled all around the world with couchsurfing. If you don't know it, you should really give it a try.

My concern was just having to chat with the owners all the time :D but if you never did airbnb or couchsurf then you don't know how it works.

Oh, okay. Maybe you know the system more than I do then. :/

If it feels safe to you, then, okay...do it. I just didn't want any ill effects to fall upon you.

Peaches, I only hope you know what you could be letting yourself in for, so I strongly advise you to proceed with caution. Take all the time you want to thoroughly investigate the options, be in no hurry, and make an informed decision based on your findings.

If you decide to proceed, I'd like to know of your progress and am sure others here, will. :)

I thought airbnb is mostly for travelers? I know airbnb is big in nearby San Francisco and I've heard a lot about it but only in the context of traveling. You can rent very nice rooms or apartments short-term. I would try it but I know many Americans only want a straightforward hotel when traveling. I'm game to try new things as long as I have an idea of what I'm getting into and since I have a child, there can't be any sketchy-looking people around either (that's when gut instincts and street smarts come in handy).

-Teresa

well, if you go at women's places or families it's pretty safe, also especially on airbnb and couch surfing people give their real name so you can google them, see where they work etc - the world is a different place right now, not sure if that is good or bad.

Peaches said:
well, if you go at women's places or families it's pretty safe, also especially on airbnb and couch surfing people give their real name so you can google them, see where they work etc - the world is a different place right now, not sure if that is good or bad.

'The world is still bad, Anna Mouse', declared Dad many years ago when I was barely 12. 'And it's getting worse'.

We only have to watch the tv news and read the newspapers. Don't delude yourself, Hun.

Mouse said:
Peaches said:

'The world is still bad, Anna Mouse', declared Dad many years ago when I was barely 12. 'And it's getting worse'.

We only have to watch the tv news and read the newspapers. Don't delude yourself, Hun.

I think vlad the impaler and the cloaked people who worked the torture devices of the Inquisition would like to have a word with you about how you think the modern age is upstaging them in worseness. Oh and the millions of dead native americans who have been wiped out, and the ghosts of the holocaust.

I made them take a number, don't worry.

Although yes, many evil people hide behind the cloak of respectibility. Recalling a serial killer..i forget his name... who would take his kid with him when he went to go pick up prostitutes because it would lower their guard.

And a few serial killer couples who would utilize the woman to gain the trust of their victims.

I really dont understand why people would do that but...that probably just means im not a latent serial killer if I can't relate to why someone would want to prey on someone else. My mind draws a blank...but there are people out there whose minds work differently...

Then again, an adventure isnt an adventure without some iota of risk involved maybe...

Just dont go near any vans in my advice :D serial killers like those.

I've woken up in numerous strange dwellings with people I did not know, But because of a retarded consumption of alcohol or drugs. I don't think I would do a site like that by choice. My back seat tends to work just as well.
Sober me is a lot less trusting then drunk or stoned me.

It was a bit sad to see at the quick jump to - do not trust strangers and that the minute your open your door then chances are you are letting in trouble. How then can you ask for help from strangers, if you yourself are simply going to reject them. I mean we are all strangers here or does the rule of 'do not trust strangers' only apply to those we meet in the flesh? I have done a few couch surfing hosts, albeit I am good with people. It was lovely to meet new and interesting people and you can decline hosting offers if you wish. Think about it, we are products of two strangers becoming acquainted...

also I would like to point the fact that these are not just random strangers on the street, but there is a selection, you can see their names, their homes, their Facebook friends, and there is a reputation system so if someone had a bad experience they can write it, so it IS a bit safer than going with people you don't know.

I know someone who registered on this site and she raves about it. She has hosted a couple of travellers without any issues but I don't think she actually gone to stay with anyone as yet.

ichat said:
It was a bit sad to see at the quick jump to - do not trust strangers and that the minute your open your door then chances are you are letting in trouble. How then can you ask for help from strangers, if you yourself are simply going to reject them. I mean we are all strangers here or does the rule of 'do not trust strangers' only apply to those we meet in the flesh? I have done a few couch surfing hosts, albeit I am good with people. It was lovely to meet new and interesting people and you can decline hosting offers if you wish. Think about it, we are products of two strangers becoming acquainted...

+1
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.

-Teresa

I would never sleep at a strangers place. Why would a woman's place be safe and not a mans? A woman could just as easily be the perverse wife of a serial rapist trying to lure single female travellers for her husband. You could be drugged by needle and date raped and never even know it.
Couch surfing... crazy idea... especially for females.

Latest posts

Back