How do I overcome this?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iversion

Reaction score
Hello All,

Our church had a social gathering for singles. I badly wanted to go so that I can meet people. It was my second event. I know only 2 people. I drove to the place, but could not go and say hello. I sat in my car for 40mins watching them. I still could not get out of my car. How do I overcome this fear?

Thanks!!!!

It's a curse to be lonely. But it can also be a gift.

Lonely people are serious thinkers. They think they're alone but in reality there's a whole army behind them.

Look to your past. When you weren't insecure.

When such an event happens again, do you have someone who would go with you? It makes a big difference not having to walk in alone.
When I went to the local Aspergers support group for the first time, I got to the venue and then was too scared to go in on my own, so I went home. The following week a friend who also has AS came with me as a one-off, and from then on I have been able to go on my own.

Tiina63 said:
When such an event happens again, do you have someone who would go with you? It makes a big difference not having to walk in alone.
When I went to the local Aspergers support group for the first time, I got to the venue and then was too scared to go in on my own, so I went home. The following week a friend who also has AS came with me as a one-off, and from then on I have been able to go on my own.

Thank you. I will search for someone to go with.

or make an appointment with one of those 2 people that you know, or go directly to them?

When that happened to me, it was because I thought about it too much before, so I was all worked up and at the moment to go and meet people my nerves failed me. If you have no other choice but to go alone, a good practice is to dress really nice, not too much cologne, go where drinks/coffee/ a gathering of people is, grab (metaphorically) another person that is alone and start asking questions about the event, the things that they do, and say that you are new to that place but you are friends with SoandSo, and do the other person knows him/her?
Don't be a yesman, sometimes disagree, but remember the magic "me too" sentence, when they say something you can chip in with "me too", it is not useful to lie, but better to look for things in common rather than differences.
If all this sounds artificial, social life does start artificial, there is no way out.

Face your fear... you know you aren't going to be hurt right ? Just walk in, maybe stand back in a less crowded area, and watch. Pick out somebody that's doing the same thing, and ask them if they have a problem around people too !! And your in like Flynn, and take it from there !!

Latest posts

Back