How do I overcome unrequited love?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt L

Reaction score
I've been in love (or fixated?) with a girl at work for almost a year now. She's with someone, she knows I like her and many co-workers know. They like to tease me and its gotten to the point that my manager had to talk to me about it. I don't want to get over her even though I know nothing will ever happen. She gives me motivation. I have nothing in life. I've no friends. I've lost interest in things I used to like, reading and gaming mostly. I live in a rural area so there's nowhere to go and nothing to do. I exist day in and day out with the same routine. I barely work with her so my constant boredom and self loathing usually keeps my mind off her but when I do see her I spiral back into anxiety. I've known of people in unrequited love who are happy just being a martyr and loving a person but I can't do that unless its returned. From what I hear her bf sounds like a great guy and I know I could never make her happy if things were different. Hell, I have zero clue how relationships work. I don't want to go through the process of finding a new job, especially over something like this. I just don't know what to do.

Matt L said:
I don't want to go through the process of finding a new job, especially over something like this. I just don't know what to do.

I am sorry to have to say this but... I think your only choice is to leave. I had a crush on someone I saw every day. I struggled with it, I knew it was an irrational crush because I really didn't know him, though I found out from facebook he was married. I could not overcome it for years. It almost felt like god was mocking me. I would try to move to a different section of the train or take another train on that line and I would run into him, further reinforcing in my irrational mind that we were meant to be. But my rational mind told me that was rubbish.

I was going to move anyway and it was a factor in where I chose to move, away from seeing him every day, and that worked. I swear I got 1/2 my brain back once I lost touch with him and now I see him sometimes and the spell is broken.

I wonder frequently whether or not anyone has ever actually loved me in return. Honestly I think the answer is no. There isn't really anything you can do other than move on and look for someone else. That new person probably won't care about you either. Then eventually maybe you'll get lucky. I guess that's how it's supposed to work?

Seems like a pointless fixation that'll only result in more anxiety for you in the long run. What happened for your manager to speak to you?

I agree with Lonelysutton. A fresh start...it may boost your confidence too, and open other opportunities ie socializing.

Unrequited love is very painful, and the only way I got over it was to see that man enter into another relationship (that was me though) because then something clicked in me that he never wanted me. It wasn't easy but it faded slowly. But a friend told me that (easier said than done) once someone new comes into your life that sparks your interest then your thoughts shift. Maybe a new job, may give you at least the space...but who knows?

You need to focus on another woman. Once you do this, your feelings for this girl you like will go.
Don't quit your job. I have been thru this and it's horrible. I remember I forced myself to be interested in this other woman, somebody different. My feelings and interest for this girl
I had liked for a few years just went. I've done this a few times. It's always worked.

Rumors were going around that I was being too flirty with her and following her around. Guilty as charged on the latter.

Matt L said:
Rumors were going around that I was being too flirty with her and following her around. Guilty as charged on the latter.

Yes but then if you ignore her then you get accused of been in a funny mood. You can't win in those situations.

The longer you are in close proximity to her, even if you rarely see her, the longer it will take you to get rid of the unrequited love. You need to take a bold step and find another job. Think about this as a health decision. You love someone who doesn't return the love and it's eating you up. For your own health, getting as far away from her as possible will help you get over her.

Two more things: First, get out a pen and paper, or a tablet, or anything to write with, and write out a list of things you don't like about her. Your instinct will be to think she's perfect. She's not. Everyone has behaviors we don't like, and what you need to do is (without malice) think of all the reasons she irritates you. Start out with, "She doesn't love me, and I'm a great guy," and "She loves someone else." Replace any positive feeling you have for her with a realistic version of her so you stop thinking about her as anyone desirable and someone you would rather not have anything to do with. You may have to dig deep, but anything to topple that pedestal you've placed her on will be invaluable.

Second, do this meditation as many time as it is necessary, starting right now. Sit comfortably somewhere quiet and close your eyes. Picture this girl you love in vivid detail. Now, say to her in your mind, "I release you to your highest good. I love you, but I cannot have you in my life. Goodbye." And push her image away from you and watch her image recede into the distance. If you change jobs, do the list, and do this meditation, it will help speed your recovery.

Rumours of that nature often don't stop circulating. It's likely to interfere with your professional/personal relationships with female co-workers for who knows how long. Five years from now people might still be discussing you as the "slightly creepy guy who wouldn't leave so-and-so alone". Ponder on that while asking yourself if it's worth staying.

If you're not invested in a career and don't have many friends there, then it might be best to leave. It will help you get over this person too, although eventually these things subside anyway.

Matt L said:
I've been in love (or fixated?) with a girl at work for almost a year now. She's with someone, she knows I like her and many co-workers know. They like to tease me and its gotten to the point that my manager had to talk to me about it. I don't want to get over her even though I know nothing will ever happen. She gives me motivation. I have nothing in life. I've no friends. I've lost interest in things I used to like, reading and gaming mostly. I live in a rural area so there's nowhere to go and nothing to do. I exist day in and day out with the same routine. I barely work with her so my constant boredom and self loathing usually keeps my mind off her but when I do see her I spiral back into anxiety. I've known of people in unrequited love who are happy just being a martyr and loving a person but I can't do that unless its returned. From what I hear her bf sounds like a great guy and I know I could never make her happy if things were different. Hell, I have zero clue how relationships work. I don't want to go through the process of finding a new job, especially over something like this. I just don't know what to do.
I think you need to focus on You. You say you have "nothing in life, no friends and no interests" and are bored and self loathing. You are not ready for a relationship until you work on the relationship with yourself. She is spoken for, just accept that. But, that doesn't mean there isn't a great person out there for you. But, in order to find that person, you first need to be You.
I live in a rural area and we never run out of things to do. We make our own fun. There is the outdoors, hiking, biking, running, hunting, fishing. Get on meetup and see if there aren't any groups that do board games. There is a local group here. Work on yourself and finding the joy and spark in your life. But, also don't be afraid to make changes in life, including a job. But, i think if you change jobs, it should be in order to go to something better, not just to escape something behind.

I went through something like this about 3 years ago. I went out of the way to have a relationship with this person beyond friendship. I wanted to join the Army, I ended up putting it to the side. After I was recovering from pneumonia, I decided to lose weight down to a point to where I was healthy. Then at some point, I made it about losing weight for her. I became less motivated to work out and it became more of a chore than something I wanted to do for myself. When I got my first job in August 2013, I started to focus more on myself. Come my birthday, she called me and asked if I wanted to hangout for the day. Unfortunately, I had a double shift that day and I was kind of upset as well. However as a result, I learned that I just do whatever I'm doing, then people will essentially come to you. Whether if they are reaching out to you because they have nothing better to do that day or they genuinely want to spend time with you. For the past two years, I've been planning on moving back to my hometown. That's just a bit of my input.

You have to get away from this situation. Nothing good will come of remaining in it and the best possible outcome if you don't is that you will later look back on it and regret all the time you wasted over her. Probably the worst possible outcome is you'll get into further trouble for your fixation on her.

Fixations come and go.
Time heals. I don't think the guy should quit his job over this.
In a years time he may wonder what he saw in her.
People talk, who cares, most of it is bullshit.
I am sure people talk about me at my work. As long as I don't hear it, I don't care.
This guy shouldn't either.

Triple Bogey said:
Fixations come and go.
I am sure people talk about me at my work. As long as I don't hear it, I don't care.

If he's already had to talk to a manager about it then don't you think he's treading a fine line?

Triple Bogey said:

True, but it's more than just talking. The manager has had to say something about it, probably on a more serious note. Maybe he doesn't have to or shouldn't leave his job, but this is something that - without wanting to sound harsh about it - he's put on himself. Not saying he shouldn't like anyone, but by the tone of his own post about it, it's probably gone a bit too far on his end.

So maybe, maybe not. But it's never good when someone has to seriously bring it up to you about something that's usually lighthearted.

Matt L said:

The thing about love is that it is selfless. Infatuation doesn't have that same quality and is much more possessive in nature. Does her happiness come before your own? As much as it hurts, does knowing that she is happy without you something that you can accept and move past? If so, it is love. If you aren't capable of this, and hold the view that she is/will/must be yours, then it's more likely infatuation. Analysing the way you speak, I would lean more towards infatuation. You say you can't continue to love her if it is unrequited, but you aren't willing to stop loving her either. That indicates possession, though not as negatively as it may come across, and a subconscious unwillingness to let go of her. Also, you say that you don't work with her much, which would suggest that any interaction you've had with her has been fleeting. Maybe this has sparked a physical attraction which can then lead to infatuation. No shame in it. We've all been there. If this is infatuation, which your writing would suggest, then you are wholly capable of getting past it if you allow yourself to. Everyone has been infatuated at some point. I have, and am still massively attracted to that girl now. She is probably the most beautiful girl I've ever seen in my life, and probably one of funniest. We aren't close enough for it to be love, though. It might have gone that way had I had the confidence to act on my attraction, but it didn't and our lives have diverged. Do I still look back on it with regret? Yes, sometimes, but that is a psychological response to physical attraction. It is an uncertainty about what could have been, and that prevents me from truly getting past it because there is still attraction there.

Love, on the other hand, is a different beast and will not allow you to get over it. I am a believer that if you truly love someone, there will never be a day that you don't love them. However, the psychology is completely different to infatuation. When love "ends", there is a certain level of peace that goes with it, a tranquil acceptance that you love a person, but your place is not with them. That isn't to say that it completely goes, nor does it suggest that there won't be times that you don't miss them or think about them. It just means that you can live without their love. I had this very same experience with a girl years ago. I loved her more than words can describe, but it was unrequited. For four years, I suffered with the burden of loving her, but I wouldn't trade that in for anything. I'm glad I loved her. When the day came that she walked out of my life, I knew that that was it. She didn't and wouldn't ever love me. I could have sworn myself to celibacy and declared that she was my only hope for happiness, but I didn't. I have fully accepted that there is nothing there, nor will there ever be. Do I still love her? Yes. Do I think about her? Yes. Do I miss her? Yes. Am I at peace? Yes. Contrast with my earlier example. I have not stopped being attracted to that girl, and I have not been certain as to the nature of our relationship. I still look and wish sometimes that I'd acted on my feelings. As you can see, love is selfless, accepting and peaceful, whereas mere infatuation isn't. It comes with a possessiveness that precludes acceptance. This doesn't cause emotional grief like unrequited love does initially, but it does mean that the subject of infatuation will always be a fantasy, an unrealised conquest, to use a vulgar expression.

I'm sorry for the length of the post, but I wanted to explain my opinion as effectively as I could. The moral is: take heart. If this is infatuation, you'll move on. You'll probably never wholly get over it, and this girl will probably remain in some fantasy for the rest of your life, but it won't always be an emotional drain. If it's love, you'll soon realise that it isn't going to happen and you'll accept it and move on. The love will never end, nor will the occasional, fleeting melancholy, but you'll be able to live with it and look back fondly on how amazing it was to love this person. Either way, mate, you're going to be fine. Be patient, and it'll all work out.

I hope this helped.

Paraiyar said:
Triple Bogey said:
Fixations come and go.

If he's already had to talk to a manager about it then don't you think he's treading a fine line?

No, not at all.

I am assuming the Manager didn't give him a verbal warning or any disciplinary. He is fine. The teasing will die out. So he quits a job he may like at the first sign of trouble ? - I don't think so.

I must have been in the Managers office 20 times over the years.

This might be a good turning point to use as an opportunity to do something new. He said there is not much where he lives. By getting a job somewhere new might open new doors for him, professionally, and socially.

Latest posts

Back