How do you feel about Elon Musk taking over Twitter?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maybetrollingmaybenot

Reaction score
I'd say given his promises for free speech I'm rather happy about it, but time will tell. In any case I hate reddit, far left cuckoos who ban over nothing. Instagram is my favorite yet they've made changes for the worse, example: you can't browse tags anymore which makes it more like facebook, just for people you already know. I'm trying to get used to twitter over the last weekend...still can't.

Not concerned. I didn't have Twitter before, and I don't plan to get one now regardless of who owns it. The social media I already have, is enough for my purposes. And I don't really engage with people in the way that Twitter is made for. It was never something I needed, so I never got into it. Other platforms work better for me.

I guess I'm against the idea of billionaires in general, because I feel like no one person, or even a small group of people, should have that much power to determine the entire direction of humanity, for everyone else. I think it's causing the problems we have today, because they have us stuck playing their game long after we should have evolved to something else, long after this game doesn't work for most people anymore because technology is too efficient now (and the laws have become lopsided now to favor the upper class instead of being balanced, resulting in the destruction of the social safety net), but they don't want to do that, they want to keep playing this game because they're winning at it.

For the record I don't like communist dictators, or dictators of any other ideology, either. Billionaires, dictators, whoever, no one person or small group of people should have that much power over everyone else and to set the course for all of humanity, cause then we're stuck doing their vision, which winds up favoring them over everyone else. Instead I think we should strive for a world where everyone is free to follow their own vision, as long as that vision isn't harmful.

But anyway, this stuff doesn't only apply to Twitter. As far as Twitter goes people will either continue to use it or not, and if not, something else will take its place. No skin off my nose, either way.

Last edited:
I'd say given his promises for free speech I'm rather happy about it, but time will tell. In any case I hate reddit, far left cuckoos who ban over nothing. Instagram is my favorite yet they've made changes for the worse, example: you can't browse tags anymore which makes it more like facebook, just for people you already know. I'm trying to get used to twitter over the last weekend...still can't.
You do know "free speach" only binds government from prosecuting someone for what they say. It isn't even a thing between me and you or any others not expressly paid by our taxes.

If you have not been arrested for something that you've said then your freedom of speech has not been violated. Were it a thing between civilians then every disagreement would violate one party or the other.

I know, right? Doesn't Future Gopher have more important things to do, than spending this much time fussing over a social media platform that's mostly just used to post trivial and superficial stuff anyway?

🦫🚀🔴 ✨ 🌠

Just a guess but maybe he's hoping some engineer from Brazil, Canada or just about anywhere to twit something like "omg I figured it out my new invention will send us to mars for just $125!" - then Musk will know his/her IP since he owns the source code of the site after all and....send hitmen to this person lol. It's fishy.

I'm starting to feel like Musk is a dumb person's idea of a smart person.

Just like Trump is a dumb person's idea of a "successful" person.

I begrudgingly give Musk credit for helping to mainstream electric cars (NOT to invent them, it's important to make that distinction). But almost everything else he appears to have been done, seems silly.

I only go to Twitter to see updates from 3 Twitter accounts. My accounts were banned twice, in one case I didn't even make a single tweet. And in another case, I had posted a link to a statistical website which, according to the blue-bird Gods, was hate speech.

I know two people who work at Twitter. I know from them that the company isn't very focused on ensuring that the quality of their employees' work is upto the mark. They are more interested in keeping the website functioning and all the major effort is spent on shaping certain narratives. This would be a huge allegation but as we all know, it is already out there.

I think a lot will change. Firstly, Elon will expect their employees to work much harder than they currently do. The quality of the product will see a significant change and the company becoming private will play a huge role in this.

I think he could introduce two "spaces". One with a reasonable content moderation system and another one with less moderation. A sort of "safe space" for the 'unsafe'.

Non-left leaning voices will get banned less. VIP treatment to certain blue tick accounts due to their network with the insiders will also end or reduce.
There are two aspects of this: The freedom of speech aspect and the features aspect.
I don't know what else could come, but I think Twitter won't be the same anymore.
I do not think that he spent USD 44B on a losing company just to make the code a bit better.

Last edited:
I have never tweeted or joined that site, but I have read on there on a few occasions if it was a subject I was interested in.

Will this company totally be owned by him or will there still be shareholders? If he will be the sole owner, it could be a venomous place to visit. Freedom of speech doesn't apply when the site is privately owned.

I begrudgingly give Musk credit for helping to mainstream electric cars (NOT to invent them, it's important to make that distinction). But almost everything else he appears to have been done, seems silly.
He’s a huge arsehole! Who regularly uses his sources of power to do bad things.

Musk has said that Twitter should avoid getting involved in content regulation, and given his documented history of spreading misinformation, attacking his perceived enemies, and retaliating against individuals who he thinks have wronged him, it’s not hard to see why.

Musk claims he needs to rescue Twitter from its former owners, who he thinks do not respect the First Amendment. But, as many have pointed out, “no one has a legal right to tweet, that is, to post on Twitter, a platform owned by a private company,” and the First Amendment, for zillionaires who are unaware, is about protection from government entities restricting what people are allowed to say, not privately held social media networks.

With Twitter, he apparently wants to manipulate the idea of what “free speech” means, and has suggested he’ll allow people to say whatever they want without consequence, even if what they want to say constitutes harassment or threats or the kind of misinformation that poses a genuine risk to people’s lives. Which, as his history suggests, is very much his thing.

Last edited:
If he's smart about it, he might cash in big.

A skilled programmer could write a twitter clone in less than a month, and perhaps in less than a week.

I believe, what he bought, was a brand. Long gone are the days of curious and thoughtful consumers willing to try new things. People go where the people are, and there are a lot of people on twitter.

So, he's bought a big name, and he's stirred controversy (any press is good press, in situations like these, sometimes), and he has infrastructure. He's also technically competent.

He's either shooting himself in the foot, or he's going to nail it big.

I'm not a fan of the guy. It's hard for me to respect some one who launches a car their company produced into orbit. And all his starlink sats are ******* up the sky for astronomy.

But these guys are getting their money from somewhere... So who's to blame?

I sort of wonder if the real global powerplayers look at people like Musk, and laugh to themselves, while they twiddle the strings that are tied to their billionare puppets. crazy world...

Latest posts

Back