How To Break A Promise

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHK

Reaction score
I know I said awhile ago I was leaving, but I W this one last bit advice and, as sad as it may seem, this is sort of the only place that I have where I can go for it.

I know this probably sounds absolutely stupid to a lot of people because it should be simple - you just DON'T break promises. I normally wouldn't - I guess I don't normally make them for this reason. But it has gotten to the point where I can't deal with me anymore - the task of being me everyday has just become too much anymore. The pain of it all has really become unbearable.

I figured out quite some time ago that I was living my life for someone else (A, we will call him). A who has, literally, saved my life; who almost died with me in a car wreck, and has been the only person who has ever truly cared wether I lived or died. He is the only one who knows almost every dirty, ugly secret of my hate filled past and has any sort of idea of who I am. He's the only one who patiently stood by me even after I let him down again and again, who stayed even after I unleashed on him the agony I have been so desperately trying to escape. He has been trying for years to save me and shape me, for lack of a better word, into something human and acceptable but he has been fighting a losing battle.

Perhaps I was always unsavable, even if he had come along in my teenage years. At 22, I feel like I have seen and endured enough brutality to support a war. While I somehow survived and escaped "home", I can't run far enough to eacape the fact that they were right - I just never should have been.

After my last attempt, I guess I got caught up in the romantics of maybe being savable and made the promise to call should I ever feel that way again to call him. So I did. I asked him to accept that choice and he refused, he just couldn't, and he talked me out of it because I couldn't bear hearing him cry and plead, not for the likes of me.

I just can't, however, keep my word. I can't for the same reason as above. Because I'm too guilty to listen to his pain, to own up to the fact that I will destroy a part of him. Because I'm ashamed that I know this, but I can't stop. Because I know that if I do, I won't be able to follow through.

I have tried. I have tried and tried but I'm just living this life for someone else. I can't remember a time when I haven't hurt - not physically, but emotionally. I can't remember a time when I haven't cried in bed to myself or used drugs or alcohol as a crutch to avoid being me. I can't stand being stuck in my head. I can't walk down the street and watching parents with children or a couple who are obviously in this thing called love. I'm mourning the loss of what I never had and trying to bear the fact that it will never be.

I can pretend and fake it for a bit, but the hurt is always right there like a festering sliver and unless I put another band aid on it, I break. But I'm at the point where I'm just too much. I'm tired of trying. I'm tired of the shame, the pain, the self loathing, and the endless emtional battering.

I know that I am taking for granted what a lot of people have lost the chance at, or would love to have. I know I'm being stupid and inconsiderate and a selfish pr*ck. I know that, and it doesn't make me feel any better, believe me. I feel like my back is against the wall, and I'm just not strong enough to stand up against it all anymore. I'm pathetic and weak and a coward and probably will be the at the top of my self hatred the moment of. I know.

I'm not asking for advice on how to proceed, I have that covered. As stupid and horrible as it may sound, I just... I am hoping there is a way that I can let him down gently so to speak. I know how stupid that sounds because I'm talking about hurting him in the most intimate, final way. I am looking for, I guess, a way to be the most considerate when I will be at my most selfish. Silly, huh?

I truly don't think that I will ever really be lovable to anyone but this kIndred, albeit incredibly stronger, soul. I think a part of him knows. I think a part of him is waiting for this time. Maybe even a part of him will be relieved he can stop. Stop with the check up calls, the defending, the worrying. But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I know I'm not much of a human being, but I do hope that there is something I can do to make it easier for him.

Anyways, I guess that's it. I'm sorry, as this turned out a lot longer then I anticipated. It was a hard enough choice to come back and ask, and it has, obviously, been on my mind for a while with nowhere to go so... So, I'm sorry, and thanks.

Judas

Don't.

You said it best. Don't break the promise and you won't have to worry about it.

[video=youtube]

I hope you stick around.

kamya said:
Don't.

You said it best. Don't break the promise and you won't have to worry about it.

[video=youtube]

I hope you stick around.

I tried. More then I gave myself credit for, I tried. I just don't have it in me. I had a few moments where I thought I could prove them wrong, come out on top but... I get swiftly knocked back down reality and the effort of always getting back up and trying when I know... it's tiresome. I'm tired.

JHK said:
I tried. More then I gave myself credit for, I tried. I just don't have it in me. I had a few moments where I thought I could prove them wrong, come out on top but... I get swiftly knocked back down reality and the effort of always getting back up and trying when I know... it's tiresome. I'm tired.

What have you been trying? What have you been trying to accomplish? What are your goals?

kamya said:
JHK said:

What have you been trying? What have you been trying to accomplish? What are your goals?

To live. To be happy. To change into someone that can be loved, I guess. But I can't. As I said, I just shouldn't be. Life just isn't for me and that's just something I've had to accept. I'm no good. That's it.

JHK said:
kamya said:
JHK said:

To live. To be happy. To change into someone that can be loved, I guess. But I can't. As I said, I just shouldn't be. Life just isn't for me and that's just something I've had to accept. I'm no good. That's it.

I can completely relate to being tired. It just seems like one set back after another sometimes. But we only fail if we refuse to keep trying. Set backs don't necessarily mean impossible. It just means we need to keep at it, keep going for it. I'd rather fail a hundred times because when that one time comes around and it's right, then it was all worth it. Nothing worth having in life is super easy to come by.

is he trying to reshape you or help you see the sunshine ?

BadGuy said:
is he trying to reshape you or help you see the sunshine ?

I knew shape was the wrong term. He's trying to help me be the person that he thinks is still buried in me - this innocent version of me that can learn to accept and love - but if he ever existed he was killed a long time ago.
Anyhow, it doesn't hardly matter. I'm not the important one. I was just hoping there was something I could do to make it easier for him to move on. It was a stupid question anyway.

you are important sounds like he is trying to show tell you

There is no way to make it easier for him. Regardless of what you say or do, it will hurt him, there is no easing that pressure. But yeah, you made that promise to him for a reason, you said yourself you don't normally do that, so don't break this one. Find a way to compromise what he wants you to do and what you feel you are able to do. There is always a way out of the darkness you are in, you just have to work hard to find it. And yes, you ARE important. If you weren't, he wouldn't love you as much as he does. I don't know if he says it or not, but just from reading what you wrote, he does love you and you love him or you wouldn't feel so horrible about breaking a promise to him.

Honestly, it sounds like you are living in the past. Reliving things every time you see something that you didn't have. Have you ever attempted to let go of what happened in the past and just live for today? Just find a way to make yourself happy without dredging up the past and all the heartache and pain that comes with it?

You don't need to apologize for coming back to the forum or think that it sounds "stupid" to believe that you don't break promises.

You sound terribly depressed and depression can massively distort and cloud your thinking and judgment.

The idea that you or anyone is savable isn't "romantic", it's ******* reality. Whatever happened to you in your past is just that - past events that were inflicted on you. But I've yet to meet anyone who is irretrievably broken and I don't think you are either.

Stick around - for us and for 'A'.

-Teresa

Latest posts

Back