How to make friends with newly acquired social skills?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheenix

Reaction score
So, I feel I am very close to reaching the end of my journey for social skills and will post a success story soon.
But for now, I need to make friends in my high school class with my new skills. But everyone are already in their cliques, and I can't find a way to butt in. I was very emotionally turbulent during the past months and have projected bad mood and frustration, so there is also the problem of peoples perception of me. Any ideas?

Well if you've turned your mood around I say just keep working at it. If people have perceived you as moody and frustrated they will eventually see that you aren't so much any more and will begin to let you in. High school is crazy for stuff like that, just don't let it get to you. It's harder to come back from being where you were and erasing that perception people may have made of you. A bad impression makes a longer lasting mark then a good impression, most of the time. It just takes time.

It just occurred to me... Can you be too outgoing?
I have always thought this. It might just be the golden key to my problem.
Of course, you can't invade someone's personal space, or advance a relationship too quickly, but between two people determined to socialize (ie meeting a new class for the first time) as long as you stay within relationship phase 1, is anything too much?

Oh I suppose someone should move this to social problems. I was always confused about the three subforums, relationships could have been more specific, ha.

Pheenix said:
So, I feel I am very close to reaching the end of my journey for social skills and will post a success story soon.
But for now, I need to make friends in my high school class with my new skills. But everyone are already in their cliques, and I can't find a way to butt in. I was very emotionally turbulent during the past months and have projected bad mood and frustration, so there is also the problem of peoples perception of me. Any ideas?
Well.. I'm no expert myself but I'll tell you what I know from my high school experiences. I know that the high school scene can be tough; sometimes you'll be rejected for dumb reasons. Don't let that get to you. Also when trying to talk to others try not to let your past emotions and stuff get in the way. I know that for people like us who struggle with social problems its tough not to let our insecurities and things get to us but we have to be strong. WE have to try to not to show the negative aspects because it will sometimes turn people away before we even get a chance to get to know them more. Also know that its high school, theres a clique for practically everyone!

I find this difficult to do, as I tend to take on the qualities that people percieve in me. So, even if I'm not in a sullen mood, if the people around me expect me to be in one, then I most often get in one.

Latest posts

Back