I Just Can't Seem to Make Friends...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boulier

Reaction score
I'm a high school junior, female, 16 years of age, and I'm about to start my junior year of high school in an IB program. I have attended this new school for two years now.

I didn't have any friends at my old school, which I attended for eleven years. People saw me as weird because I didn't talk much, and I have social anxiety, so even when I wanted to talk, I looked really uncomfortable and scared. Generally, people completely ignored me, even pushing doors closed before I walked through. I had two friends, both of whom left me by freshmen year. One left because I wasn't popular, and he became popular because of his athletic abilities, so I was seen as a hindrance to his popularity. The other left for a reason I still can't figure out, moving 1,000 miles away and COMPLETELY breaking off all contact with me. I later learned that she was only my friend because she felt sorry for me (since I'm so socially awkward). She never even saw me as a friend, just a nuisance, a burden to her, and it made her feel better about herself to hang out with me because I was like her own charity case or something. I can't describe the inner torture I felt upon learning that. Her "friendship" meant so much to me, and to learn that I meant NOTHING to her, that she didn't even see me as her friend... That was the worst day of my life.

At my new school, the one with the IB program (I enrolled in tenth grade), I HAD three friends. I was so thankful, and I didn't think anything could go wrong. I mean, I finally had friends who I could hang out with outside of school, the people who I could confide in, the people who I could point at and definitively say that they would never leave my side... until a more popular girl came into the picture and made it very clear that she didn't like me. She didn't like me because I have always been shy and quiet, and I have social anxiety, and she deemed that weird, so she told my three friends that they could either be friends with me, or her. My friends wanted to be friends with the popular girl, so they chose her over me and dropped me. Along the way, they made it obvious that they were only friends with me because I was easy to manipulate, so they would do things like asking to see the answers to my homework or asking me to wait in line for desserts at lunch because they knew I would; they knew I was desperate. That broke my heart just as much as learning about the girl at my old school pitying me.

There's another girl at my new school. She's beautiful, kind, and extremely intelligent. When I was still friends with the three girls in the above paragraph, she started trying to befriend me, and my friends had a problem with that because they were jealous of her. That also contributed to them not wanting to hang out around me, because it was like I was conversing with a traitor. Now that I'm no longer friends with those three friends described above, she's trying to be my friend. For the first time, someone is genuinely reaching out to me to GENUINELY be my friend.

However, at this point, my social anxiety is worse than it has ever been, and because of my previous experiences with "friends", I'm having some trouble trusting people. There are points where she'll gesture for me to walk over to her, and I'll break into a sweat and run away because I don't know what I'll talk about with her, or I'm scared that I'll mess up when I'm talking to her, or that she'll think I'm awkward, or she'll judge me. I always have to come up with some excuse, like my mom calling my phone, or I forgot I said I was meeting someone somewhere, or something like that. I don't fit in well with the rest of her friends, anyways, and she usually hangs around them. I'm scared to death that I'll mess this up. On top of that, I'm even more afraid that she just pities me like the girl above, or that she'll drop me if I don't live up to social standards or if I become a hindrance or an inconvenience.

I am SO scared that she pities me. Whenever I think of the possibility that she simply pities me, I start sweating and breathing hard, and I have to try not to cry.

I really need help. What if this girl DOES see me as a friend? What if she doesn't pity me? I'm still SO RIDICULOUSLY scared that she does, and if that happens to me again, I don't know what I'm going to do, but until then, I'm scared to become attached to what might become a friendship.

By the way, sorry this was so long... I just needed to vent, I guess. I'm just scared, and I don't know what to do.

I had planned this long drawn out response but I will instead make this couple of points.

1) The girls that left you weren't your friends. fresia em'.

2) Social Anxiety sucks. Seek out a professional if possible. Maybe even a counselor at school.

3) Make people earn your trust. Don't let your guard down fully until you know that you can trust these people. This isn't an easy task as it takes time to learn whether you can trust a person or not.

4) You are worthy of having good friends.

Dabnis_Brickey said:
I had planned this long drawn out response but I will instead make this couple of points.

1) The girls that left you weren't your friends. fresia em'.

2) Social Anxiety sucks. Seek out a professional if possible. Maybe even a counselor at school.

3) Make people earn your trust. Don't let your guard down fully until you know that you can trust these people. This isn't an easy task as it takes time to learn whether you can trust a person or not.

4) You are worthy of having good friends.

I agree with this fully. Also, if they are doing drugs because of whatever and you don't want to be apart of it or want to have nothing to do with it, leave, because they care about nothing else. You can't get them to stop unless they want to. no matter how good of a person you are, they won't listen I had pretty much decided to leave someone that I wanted to date because she chose a dealer over family just about. And dealers will shoot some bullshit to try to be your friend and only want to get money. As a result, I have to punish her by doing things she can't, like shoot guns. I wouldn't even let her look at one that is not posted on Facebook or twitter, let alone touch it or come shooting with me. I don't want to feel like I'm supporting illegal activity in anyway. I wish I could just talk to her mom how that made her feel. She even friended me on Facebook but later deleted her.

You guys are seriously so kind. Thank you for your help.

The problems are worse. Now I'm scared to even go to school, which starts tomorrow. I'm scared to see my three "friends," and I'm scared to see the girl who has been trying to befriend me, and I'm scared for the rigorous academics, and I can't sleep. When I start thinking about going back to school tomorrow, it becomes harder to breathe. I'm so scared.

But it's people like the kind people on this forum who make me realize that I have to be strong enough to show them that I can do it. I have to find some sort of inner strength (and I don't know how I'll find it, but I WILL FIND IT!!!) to go out there.

Thank you for your responses :)

You sound so cute and honest and when I read posts like this I feel so sad that I can't just go to school with people like you so we can be friends. I can relate to your story and I know that feeling of fear from investing all your time, effort and feelings into something that might just fall apart.
I can try give you one tip that worked for me in the end in FINALLY finding some friends after many years. Try asking her for a skype or some IM contact. For someone with anxiety issues it was easier for me to test the waters and get to know girls I wanted to be friends with. After the chats it was a lot easier for me to kind of move friendship in person when I was feeling more secure.

Hi there...I hope things are going well. I have been there before and sabotaged things for myself because I was scared, but you know what when I started being myself and liking who I am, I found it easier, I have taken little steps to building friendships and I still have a long way to go, please don't be hard on yourself. Try not to run away, you don't need to say much to her and if she knows how you feel and is a friend then she will be sympathetic and accomodate it. One great thing is you found this forum, the people are here are great and so many can relate to you. Good luck :).

Latest posts

Back