If a man is 35 and never had a woman romantically interested in him....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say it's entirely on the man and his outlook/perspective on life. You could 100% find someone to date/have a first kiss/marry/whatever at any time in your life. Whether you've had those things previously or not. Not all women out there care about prior experience.
Experience is kind of irrelevant/subjective anyway. Okay, maybe you haven't been on a romantic date before, but you have been out with people, right? I fail to see how that is any different. What happens at the end of the "date" might be different, but otherwise, it's essentially the same.

Would you say the likelihood is he never will?

The man I'm talking about is me. I'm in my 36th year and have yet to go on my first date, have my first kiss etc. I can't believe I've reached this point.
Not sure, but it's certainly been true for me. Good luck.

I didn’t have my first date until I was 30. I had the same feelings as you. I was actually logging on to Yahoo Dating to cancel my account and give up. There was a message from a woman (the first I had), we were together for 10 years.

I totally understand your mindset. Please find a way to keep your hopes up because it can happen at any age.

Even if it were likely (sadly the stats on older adult virginity suggest it isn't) you've already missed critical experiences. Women in their mid 30s will want to settle down immediately. If that's what you're aiming for, continue trying (may as well) but a lot of inexperienced men end up psychologically nowhere near their chronological ages and settling into older adult responsibilities and routines won't be easy.

Last edited:
What are you doing to meet someone man?. If you're proactively looking, I'd say chances are you'll experience some of those things. If you're just waiting for the love of your life to knock on your door, well ... you're stuffed.

Even if it were likely (sadly the stats on older adult virginity suggest it isn't) you've already missed critical experiences. Women in their mid 30s will want to settle down immediately. If that's what you're aiming for, continue trying (may as well) but a lot of inexperienced men end up psychologically nowhere near their chronological ages and settling into older adult responsibilities and routines won't be easy.

Yep. Everything you wrote is all too true, unfortunately.

Actually, it's not true. There are just as many women in their 30's and beyond that don't want to "settle down" as quickly as possible as there are that do NOT want to do that. Thinking otherwise is just an excuse for you to stop trying.

Like I said, it's entirely depends on his perspective. If one chooses to think it's impossible, it will be impossible because that person will either stop trying or they will be a result of self fulfilling prophecy.

I know someone who did. He was in his mid-thirties. I met him at night school. We were both pretty messed up because of our parents and life. (We both got our high school dipolmas... yay us). Then he met a girl (woman)... I don't know where or how. She had been in a horrible car accident in her teens. As a result, she had had strokes. It left her physically handicapped... a lot of things she couldn't do... like put something into the oven or take it out... couldn't wash her hair. Her social worker was controlling her life. Mentally, she was in good shape. Physically, he was in good shape. She loves to cook. He loves to help put things in the oven. Washing her hair gives him purpose in life. That was almost 40 years ago. They are still together and helping each other out. And they chose not to have kids They are really happy. He did a lot better than I did.

I know someone who did. He was in his mid-thirties. I met him at night school. We were both pretty messed up because of our parents and life. (We both got our high school dipolmas... yay us). Then he met a girl (woman)... I don't know where or how. She had been in a horrible car accident in her teens. As a result, she had had strokes. It left her physically handicapped... a lot of things she couldn't do... like put something into the oven or take it out... couldn't wash her hair. Her social worker was controlling her life. Mentally, she was in good shape. Physically, he was in good shape. She loves to cook. He loves to help put things in the oven. Washing her hair gives him purpose in life. That was almost 40 years ago. They are still together and helping each other out. And they chose not to have kids They are really happy. He did a lot better than I did.
That's a beautiful story... :)

The man I'm talking about is me. I'm in my 36th year and have yet to go on my first date, have my first kiss etc. I can't believe I've reached this point.
-----
To many words version: Nah, never say never. Head up. Goonies never say die.
-----

It depends on certain variables, of course.

How much social exposure do you make for yourself...
What kind of person have you cultivated inside of you...
Then there are the factors beyond one's control...

And then, unfortunately, desperation, can really show in a person, as well as inexperience. Which makes things hard, because you can't fake experience, you either have it or you don't. And then desperation, you can't really, 'mask.' And if you try not to be desperate, you end up just desperate to not be desperate, which is still just being desperate.

Add in a nice pinch of despair and hopelessness, and it makes things a bit difficult (or at least seem to be; perception is half the battle).

Fun stuff...

The self-help books, and well organized people in general, or even just common folk wisdom says: break the problem down into manageable pieces, and work at them one by one, or little by little.
---
You'd be surprised what can happen, though...

They say life can end at any moment, and it can. But life can begin at any moment as well.
---
I think the really hard part, is having to do things alone... Some things are just miraculously easier, when you have some one, or multiple people, on your team...
---
I have one little ritual I do every day, as a reminder of where I want to be, and what is important to me. Been doing it for years. I just need to remember. I don't work very hard towards the changes I need to make though. It seems a bit too insurmountable. But, I try to keep a stoic optimism about things. I'm just tired of the all the MAGA boomer pull yourself up by your boot straps bullshit. But, I refuse to be a fatalist determinism type either. The whole culture we live in is such bullshit, just wait for it to steamroll you like it probably will no matter how hard you give it a go, or wait for the turning of the world to come back around and catch you on the next spin (great philosophy, huh!?).
---
It's hard. Trying not to try is still trying. Desiring not to desire, is still desire. Life can be tricky... Seems like those little moments in life, where we go, 'ahah,' aren't so much of all the thought that came before it. Sometimes, perhaps yes. Other times no. It's like the outcome of a rain dance is a bit dependent on the weather.
---
The sad thing is, there are people who have been married for years, who are absolutely dead miserable with each other, trying to figure out their mess. There's people who have wealth and riches and are suicidal. There's people that have so much sex available to them, they think it's a problem and seek help for it (lol). And then there's people from all walks of life, doing pretty much, 'okay.' They aren't great, and aren't terrible, just okay. Some of them complain a lot, others you'd barely know existed, because they are very... Nose to the grindstone types? Maybe?

Some are well off, some are third world country poor; and either or can be well adjusted or not. And then there are the times in our life, when things are fantastic, short and brief as they may be; perhaps some times even long and savory.

Not sure what my point was...
---
*sigh* maybe there doesn't need to be one..
---
When all else fails, Trust in the Universe, pray / send an S.O.S. to the Universe/G-d/etc.., talk to a tree, meditate, go for a walk, donate some money, try to send some kindness out into that sea of troubles, read a book...

Perhaps read some success stories of people who were in the same place, but found a way out...

Last edited:

Imagine you are a woman on a date. When I say imagine, actually take some time and imagine it. The excitement she'd be having, some amount of nervousness, some curiosity, expectations, all of it. Mimic, for a minute, every feeling she'd go through.

Now imagine your current self, who she (you) is supposed to meet. Don't mimic this time, but observe. How you arrive, how you appear, how you communicate, what you talk about, how is your 'vibrance'.

What kind of emotions are created within her, when she sees you, meets you, talks to you and listens to your story? Take an hour when you don't have work and imagine very, very deeply each moment.

Would she feel emotionally elevated? Feel happier? Better? Will she think it was a great evening? Will she wonder how soon can you meet her again? Will she think you'll be able to not only protect and provide for her, but will give her a great (not boring) life ahead?
_

Which of her expectations are you delivering when you carry the attitude you currently carry?
Do you think, that using it, you'll make the other person's experience better? If no, then do you realize that some work is needed on yourself?
Being a good person, is great. It is rare. But, its not... sufficient. You won't date any random girl, even though you might claim so. You want somebody who excites you, who draws you towards her. Who makes you think about them all day. Who makes you a bit nervous in their presence.
Women desire the same.

So, you'll have to work on those things.
As for the age, its always a bit late. You could have started yesterday, or a year ago, or a decade ago. But remember, our limitations and faults make us different from, let's say, 'gods'. The situations in your life were such that you couldn't.
But its never too late, you can start now. As for the things you might feel you missed out on, well, two comments on that:
We do not feel missed out on things we didn't get to do or experience. We only feel missed out on things we attached ourselves to and then didn't get to do or experience. The one who suffers the most is the overthinker.
So shed that burden off of your shoulders.

unless you have excellent genes, you don't want to meet your first person when you're old, nothing works very well at that point. you might say it is "anticlimactic."

Latest posts

Back