Imaginary friends?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr Seal The Albatros said:
JHK said:
Nicolelt said:
JHK said:
Peaches said:
Animals are the best :)

I agree. Unless I missed the point that it was imaginary animals. That might be odd.

I had an imaginary dog when I was a kid.

We can get away with a lot of craziness as a kid. I wasn't creative enough to invent anything so I let authors do it for me (maybe I still do). For some reason, it is wrong for us to behave this way as adults.
So when do we, and who are we, to draw the line of when it's right or wrong when it comes to a coping mechanism? I can't say...

I think it depends on how you use it. I wouldn't talk to my imaginary friends out in the open so I won't be laughed at, but I still keep them around. Nobody gets hurt from me doing it, and it only helps me, so I see it as something I should keep.

Funny how we find it so easy to ridicule one another. Ever been caught singing with the music low while you're the only one in the car?
I wonder why it is that society gets to say what it acceptable and what is not in our own personal lives.
Sure seems like a better way to cope then snorting a rail or slamming a bottle.

madera23 said:
JHK said:
madera23 said:
Sci-Fi said:
madera23 said:
You are dealing with a evil spirit.

Please stop promoting stuff like this, you've been asked before not to. Having and imaginary friend is NOT an evil spirit.

I am not promoting anything but the truth from personal experience.
Take a look at the hell going on in the world, it is not a person who causes it, but an evil spirit in the person.

Every time I've been hurt it's been by a physical human being.
it is the spirit in the human being that hurt you., it seems like the person.
When Jesus was on the cross, he said "forgive them FAther, for they know what they do".
He understood .
JEsus was tempted by the demon in the desert, but could not enter him.

The desert could also be a place of lonliness.

I don't believe in God. Or Jesus.
Or perhaps they are the best made up imaginary people around. Who's to say.

JHK said:
JHK said:
Nicolelt said:
JHK said:
I agree. Unless I missed the point that it was imaginary animals. That might be odd.

We can get away with a lot of craziness as a kid. I wasn't creative enough to invent anything so I let authors do it for me (maybe I still do). For some reason, it is wrong for us to behave this way as adults.
So when do we, and who are we, to draw the line of when it's right or wrong when it comes to a coping mechanism? I can't say...

I think it depends on how you use it. I wouldn't talk to my imaginary friends out in the open so I won't be laughed at, but I still keep them around. Nobody gets hurt from me doing it, and it only helps me, so I see it as something I should keep.

Funny how we find it so easy to ridicule one another. Ever been caught singing with the music low while you're the only one in the car?
I wonder why it is that society gets to say what it acceptable and what is not in our own personal lives.

madera23 said:
JHK said:
madera23 said:
Sci-Fi said:
Please stop promoting stuff like this, you've been asked before not to. Having and imaginary friend is NOT an evil spirit.

Take a look at the hell going on in the world, it is not a person who causes it, but an evil spirit in the person.

When Jesus was on the cross, he said "forgive them FAther, for they know what they do".
He understood .

Of course you don't believe in Jesus that is why you need imaginary friends.

madera23 said:
JHK said:
JHK said:
Nicolelt said:

madera23 said:
JHK said:
madera23 said:

He understood .

I'm imaginary? I've considered myself a lot of things but not unreal.

JHK said:
madera23 said:
JHK said:
JHK said:

I have told you the truth .
I gave you some good advice, get out of your dream world start helping those that are in need
and find real friends on the way.
P.s. give up all resentment for those who have hurt you. You are 37, time to change,, tell your imaginary friends who in reality are your worst enemies to go back to their dark holes.
bye
madera
He understood .

[/quote]

I'm imaginary? I've considered myself a lot of things but not unreal.
[/quote]

Thank you for your responses.

Maybe I am, but I don't consider myself crazy at all - I consider it a coping mechanism - they same way as people throw glasses at the wall or have a stress ball or indeed talk to "Jesus". So what if I'm an adult with an imaginary friend? that's the best about being adult, I can do what I want to do.

nobody knows (except for you lot) about Shanice, as I know that if I admitted it to my family or friends they would not understand. I know she isn't real - that's the difference between crazyness and sanity. Indeed religious people consider whatever deity they subscribe to to be very real indeed. Some societies would ostrasise you or worse if you said you didn't believe! Pretty sure if I went to certain parts of the world and told the locals that the god they believe in is a load of trash and they need to seek help, I'd be killed. But yet apparently that's more acceptable than me having Shanice lying with me, gazing at the stars? I'm sat in my office at work now, and she is currently right by me, playfully throwing things at my head with a mischievous look on her face. When I come back to the office, she might still be here, or she might have gone and I won't see her again for ages. She might disappear altogether, who knows?

I guess the risk of admitting things like this in public is that very few people share my point of view and so I risk making myself seem strange, which is what has happened, but I'm not hurting anybody, or myself.

madera23 said:
JHK said:
madera23 said:

He understood .

ENOUGH! Do not start making accusations like that. You are NOT promoting at "truth" it is what you believe not a truth, your "reason" is not proof of that. You have been told to stop, so stop. It is not up for debate.

You know, you are the last one who should be insulting a person who has an imaginary friend. You go around telling people they are possessed by evil spirits if they have one, or if they are angry or have any kind of negative thoughts. Pot meet kettle.

No truth here? Goodbye this is a place for those who believe in fiction.
Good bye

In my opinion its not really weird at all to have an imaginary friend especially if people in life arent meeting your needs as far as companionship.

Needing friends is one of the most basic human needs there is and if its not met the mind tries to fill that gap as best it can. Ive dealt with this myself, its been some years back now but mine came about from when i would go on chatrooms when i first started using the internet this is way back in the nineties btw. Anyway id go on chatrooms and things and it would sort of naturally fall into the conversation as a joke character in a way.

It was a purple flying cat named raul, or i guess i should say IS, because to me hes very much still alive in my heart. Ive been alone and felt lonely a VERY long time and i think if thats what you need to do to deal with it thats fine, as long as it doesnt hurt anybody and its not affecting you making connections with flesh and blood people. Whats it hurt to have a little imagination alive and well in the world?Even flying around? Also whos to say its NOT real?

My favorite scientific theory is that of quantum physics and talking about alternate or mirror universes and there being so many that anything we could imagine could be real, you could be president you could be batman, or a supermodel, or a bank robber or even have a friend like youre imagining.

If youre interested in reading more about it check it out, its pretty trippy stuff.

http://rt.com/usa/202255-many-interacting-worlds-quantum-mechanics/

Also think about most famous writers whove created characters that they brought to life on stage and screen or on the pages of books. Those "imaginary" characters live and breathe in those stories and people give them life by their following the story. They may not be real in a conventional sense but to me they are some of the realest people i know. Stories have saved my sanity many a time, in whatever format they are given in, video games, books, movies even song. So i say that imaginary is all a matter of opinion, and opinion is in no way shape or form fact, its merely belief. Mankind is just now stepping out of the dark ages in all honesty so we dont have an inkling most times what were talking about, we assume what people in history told us as correct but that doesnt make it necessarily so. We could wake up tomorrow and this whole lfie was a dream. ANYTHING is possible, anything.

I think i could picture clive barker or stephen king or hp lovecraft, or even jrr tolkien having not one but MANY imaginary friends that they brought endless joy to generations of readers and fans along with all the other authors, playwrights etc.

Also to the person talking about jesus and being so hateful, im a christian myself and i dont know who youre talking about but the God i follow doesnt promote talking down to people and being rude and hateful to them to "change their mind". Thats religion youre throwing out, its got very little to do with God. Religion minus God is for naught. He doesnt want us to hate one another or be cruel, he wants us to help and love one another and forgive each other not beat each other down when we dont agree about something. Please think about that.

The following is a picture of my friend raul lol.

:raul holds up a sign that reads in big comic letters HOWDY!

Raul.jpg

If you do not tell people the truth.

you hurt them and do not help them.
Madera

madera23 said:

Madera

Thats very true, but you can also do that in a kind and loving way and dont get angry when people dont agree with you. Not everybody is going to agree in this life, thats one thing i do know for sure. If you want to tell people about God witness to them through love and compassion for them not by pitching a fit and storming out. How does that represent God? Im not being down on you btw just telling you some truth youre so fond of.

God bless and best wishes to you but seriously consider what i said. I dont know you and its not my business just trying to be honest. Hope you have a good night.

h3donist said:
Ok I'm going to make myself sound completely insane here but hear me out.

I am a 34 year old man and I have an imaginary friend.

Her name is Shanice, and she just came to me once when I was lying in bed. I think my brain decided to create her as a coping mechanism/strategy. Her appearance changes regularly but usually she's African American, quite tall and has a beautiful smile. I have glow in the dark stars on my ceiling and I lie under them with her. It helps me because I genuinely feel like there's someone there and I don't feel alone anymore. Sometimes she is around in the day too, sat in the spare chair in my office usually trying to distract me from doing any work :)

Is that healthy for an adult? Anyone else invent people in their lives to cope with the feelings of loneliness?

Since you know she is imaginary, it seems to me like you are just exploring an inner connection to a feminine principle that is missing in your life. Nothing wrong with that :)

madera23 said:
Sci-Fi said:
madera23 said:

Humans are perfectly capable of perpetrating good or evil on their own, without supernatural explanations. Ultimately, though, whether you believe that evil has supernatural causes or psychological/social causes, the important thing is what sort of action you intend to take to help. Otherwise, you are just blowing smoke in the wind.

madera23 said:
JHK said:
I have my normal self and my crazy self. We talk and argue and insult all the time. I'm not sure which one is more of a dick yet.

Both

Such hostility does little to promote your religious views.

shadetree said:
madera23 said:

Madera

Thats very true, but you can also do that in a kind and loving way and dont get angry when people dont agree with you. Not everybody is going to agree in this life, thats one thing i do know for sure. If you want to tell people about God witness to them through love and compassion for them not by pitching a fit and storming out. How does that represent God? Im not being down on you btw just telling you some truth youre so fond of.

God bless and best wishes to you but seriously consider what i said. I dont know you and its not my business just trying to be honest. Hope you have a good night.
[/quote

Hi
Thanks, but I speak from my calm insights, I never get angry.
Truman once said people think I am angry, but, I only spoke the truth.
A person hurting themselves avoid the truth and perhaps one day they will get it. The truth may hurt, but, one day they will hear it.
If no one says it, the person has no friends.
Thank you
Madera

shadetree said:
In my opinion its not really weird at all to have an imaginary friend especially if people in life arent meeting your needs as far as companionship.

Needing friends is one of the most basic human needs there is and if its not met the mind tries to fill that gap as best it can. Ive dealt with this myself, its been some years back now but mine came about from when i would go on chatrooms when i first started using the internet this is way back in the nineties btw. Anyway id go on chatrooms and things and it would sort of naturally fall into the conversation as a joke character in a way.

It was a purple flying cat named raul, or i guess i should say IS, because to me hes very much still alive in my heart. Ive been alone and felt lonely a VERY long time and i think if thats what you need to do to deal with it thats fine, as long as it doesnt hurt anybody and its not affecting you making connections with flesh and blood people. Whats it hurt to have a little imagination alive and well in the world?Even flying around? Also whos to say its NOT real?

My favorite scientific theory is that of quantum physics and talking about alternate or mirror universes and there being so many that anything we could imagine could be real, you could be president you could be batman, or a supermodel, or a bank robber or even have a friend like youre imagining.

If youre interested in reading more about it check it out, its pretty trippy stuff.

http://rt.com/usa/202255-many-interacting-worlds-quantum-mechanics/

Also think about most famous writers whove created characters that they brought to life on stage and screen or on the pages of books. Those "imaginary" characters live and breathe in those stories and people give them life by their following the story. They may not be real in a conventional sense but to me they are some of the realest people i know. Stories have saved my sanity many a time, in whatever format they are given in, video games, books, movies even song. So i say that imaginary is all a matter of opinion, and opinion is in no way shape or form fact, its merely belief. Mankind is just now stepping out of the dark ages in all honesty so we dont have an inkling most times what were talking about, we assume what people in history told us as correct but that doesnt make it necessarily so. We could wake up tomorrow and this whole lfie was a dream. ANYTHING is possible, anything.

I think i could picture clive barker or stephen king or hp lovecraft, or even jrr tolkien having not one but MANY imaginary friends that they brought endless joy to generations of readers and fans along with all the other authors, playwrights etc.

Also to the person talking about jesus and being so hateful, im a christian myself and i dont know who youre talking about but the God i follow doesnt promote talking down to people and being rude and hateful to them to "change their mind". Thats religion youre throwing out, its got very little to do with God. Religion minus God is for naught. He doesnt want us to hate one another or be cruel, he wants us to help and love one another and forgive each other not beat each other down when we dont agree about something. Please think about that.

The following is a picture of my friend raul lol.

:raul holds up a sign that reads in big comic letters HOWDY!

Raul.jpg

Hi Shadetree and Raul :)

I completely agree, it's a companion thing. Shanice only appears when I am alone (she says she likes Raul btw :) ) Maybe I'll draw a picture of Shanice but I'm certainly not as good as you at drawing.

Thank you for your kind words, they make a lot of sense - more so than the person who says it's dangerous to have an imaginary friend as an adult and then advises me to speak to a Pastor! (I guess a Pastor is the equivalent of a vicar or reverend here in the UK) And you're right about authors creating characters in their mind, and I guess that's what I do. :)

h3donist said:
Hi Shadetree and Raul :)

I completely agree, it's a companion thing. Shanice only appears when I am alone (she says she likes Raul btw :) ) Maybe I'll draw a picture of Shanice but I'm certainly not as good as you at drawing.

Thank you for your kind words, they make a lot of sense - more so than the person who says it's dangerous to have an imaginary friend as an adult and then advises me to speak to a Pastor! (I guess a Pastor is the equivalent of a vicar or reverend here in the UK) And you're right about authors creating characters in their mind, and I guess that's what I do. :)

Yeah thatd be what a pastor is its just what we call them here in the US sometimes, call them reverend too but dont hear about many vicars here. Man you english get all the kewl words and titles lol.Im still laughing about this video i watched about the fanny pack, this little bag people used to wear here and what that meant over there lol.

I just wanted to say that i didnt draw that, i cant even draw stick figures without screwing it up, a friend of mine a LOOOOOOOONG time ago drew that, cant even remember who it was now to be honest.

But seriously man i get it, when you get lonely enough the mind can do some pretty amazing or crazy things depending on how you look at it. I prefer the first one myself. Also i think the thing about the spirits "could" be right in some ways as anything is possible and i believe in the spirit world and there are demons and things, just be careful as far as that if your friend starts asking you to do dangerous or weird things might want to get that looked into. But from the way you talked i dont think its that at all and more along the lines of what id mentioned about the writers.

Anyway i better go,ive got an appointment and my wifes fussing at me to hurry up, ill ttyl have a good one.

Ironically, with all this talk about demons, both of mine are supposedly angels.

But yeah, I'll agree with Shadetree. As long as Shanice isn't trying to make you do dangerous things (which I doubt, considering she sounds like a nice person), there's not much of a problem with imaginary friends. :)

Sometimes raul tells me i should play in traffic but i dont think he really means it.

:raul holds up the yes i do sign.

:/

madera23 said:
Imaginary friends are for children
But children outgrow that stage.
it is an escape and excuse from facing reality.
Get yourself off of these friends. It is not healthy to enter that world.
Get out and feed the poor, Go to where help is needed, you will meet the real world, not the imaginary world you are playing with.
Eventually this "thing" will take you over and destroy your sanity.

I would like to suggest that you go and speak with a pastor, ask him if he can refer you to a organization that help people. They can refer you.
Years ago I worked in a soup kitchen and a place that fills bags of food for the hungry.
Do something.

Or for people with super creative, imaginary minds. You may not agree with the notion, but passing judgment on other people's way doesn't do well by you. You have been warned, several times, to stop with all your curt suggestions. If you have nothing nice to say, then do yourself a favor and don't comment. You have no right, and it's not your place, to tell someone what they need to go do, especially on a spiritual point of view.

Latest posts

Back